Opinions on this Marine Trader 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. S. Sometimes the stars simply do not align. As Mr. BK states, unless you have the funds, what's the point? Believe it or not, there are hundreds of boats for sale in your price range. You've only found one thus far...

Run. This one is even too much work for this project boat gal!

Run. This one is even too much work for this project boat gal!

Which boat are you referring to, Donna? Surely not the one currently under discussion?

I bought an 1982 Albin 40 in 2005 which was in the same state of disrepair as this one. Today she is a spectacular boat but I spent over $50k and about 1500 hours getting her to that point. Don't kid yourself, this is a project boat. If that's what you want, then this can be the right boat for you but I would recommend spending more money up front to reduce your project list so you can get on the water faster.

Good luck
Cheers, Jeff

This is just like my SeaAnnie, A Taiwanese FuHwa trawler ...

After looking at all those photos, you'll need three things: time, elbow grease and money. Oh yeah, and friends with lots of boat maintenance knowledge. You'll need all those if you're going through with it. But good luck. Hope you find your new love.

I agree with the advice to ask for service records. However, just because the owner was a slob does not mean that the hull and engine have been neglected. Have a survey done on it and if you make an offer do so on their recommendation. I also recommend a compression check.

If you are somewhat handy, you can do a lot of the upgrades yourself saving you thousands of dollars.

I rather think (and hope) you guys are still referring to the boat in my opening post, not the current one under consideration (see Firefly's link above). I have definitely abandoned that slobby one and considering making an offer on the Knot Happening. Price reduced today to $39,900 CAD.

I made an offer I could live with - closing next spring. Sea trial tomorrow (today, Sunday?). Surveyor is John Bond and he is scheduled as soon as haulout. The surveyor has provided me with a checklist for the sea trial and my marine electrician has agreed to come along to help with the evaluation. He is an experienced trawler owner as well as an excellent ABYC electric guy. Like me, he disdains boats whose bows point down instead of up.

I admit to being somewhat terrified. But the survey will tell the tale, I suppose.

I have a question which I think might be better posted in another category, but maybe posing it here will be sufficient: The short shallow bench across from the settee seems lacking in comfort and purpose. I yearn for a more homey, comfy, loungey config, such as would be accomplished by replacing that dumb thing with a pair of tub-style or zero-grav type chairs, suitable for relaxing, sipping rum, conversating and/or watching movies. The damn cabin seems too narrow for this. But can it be done?

Greetings,
Mr. S. I reviewed the pictures again and she looks pretty good. Brings back a LOT of memories...One thing I noticed is that there has been some "work" done below the side windows in the aft cabin. These types of windows are notorious for leaking. Just another thing to look at. Of course, fuel tanks will be high on the inspection list.

Regarding the bench alteration in the main cabin on the port side...Whoa!!!! Hold on man, You don't even own the boat yet. I fully appreciate your excitement but I will pass on a suggestion I have made many times to new owners. WAIT before you go about making any significant changes in the boat. I say again, WAIT!. Live with her for a season or two THEN make changes.

You may want to put in extra storage in that space or whatever...

I wish you success on your sea trial and survey. Looks like an Albin hull from the flare on the bow.

Congratulations here's hoping all is well with survey and sea trial. I agree with RT wait before doing changes. I was told by my broker along with a long time boating friend to wait a year before making changes. Guess what they were correct, a couple of must do modifications did not happen and we are glad we held off as we found it was better not to do so. Now that we are completing our second season we know exactly what we want to do and also the cost.

That is my $.02 which is what I would have left if I had not listened to others with more experience. This is a practice I plan to continue (and the Admiral insists on if I do not want to sleep on the couch).

Best wishes, keep us updated.

Update: I showed up early for the sea trial and spied on the action from my car window. Decided to wait until the appointed time before showing my face, give them time to tidy up etc. Stressful time for an older couple. So then I get a call on my cell phone - it's the broker. The trial is cancelled. They had run diesel dry and would have to bleed the lines. OK, fine, called off my electrician companion.

I wait patiently from Sunday to today, Tuesday, no info. Then today, message from the broker: they were unable to restart, and decided to haulout and wait for spring. I am secretly pleased, because if you think about it, there is no benefit to me to pay a large deposit to hold the boat for spring, vs pay nothing now and simply wait for spring to revive the deal and perform the trial and survey. Plus, now the surveyor has given me a local mechanical tech reference for use in the spring.

We'll revisit this adventure after the cold winds finish blowing and the warming sun once again fills the air with joy. And the engine woes are addressed!

It seems unusual that a potential sale is postponed due to the fuel lines require bleeding. This should be a 5 minute job.

Exactly. It’s a. Fairly routine procedure. And then after bleeding, still not starting . . . Odd.

Greetings,
Mr. S. I had a long post prepared with my comments and the bleed/non start issue was foremost. The rest is somewhat secondary until you are able to do a sea trial and survey.

I reviewed the sales posting again and it appears the engine has not been run for any length of time recently as evidenced by the rust on the belts and pulleys.

If you're VERY interested in this particular vessel, I would quiz the broker a lot harder as to exactly what the "problem" is. As mentioned, bleeding a Lehman is pretty well a no brainer and can readily be done in a very short time. One CAN start these engines on the hard with a proper water supply.

I think you should spend the winter looking for a better boat. Perhaps the first one would have started. For a lot less $.

Ran the tank dry? Please.

Can't bleed the pump? Some folks have said it can be done in 5 minutes. Perhaps it takes that long if you have a blindfold on.

If I was serious about selling a boat I would make sure it would start. If I didn't want to sell the boat I would make up some excuse and pull her for the winter hoping the buyer would go away. And leave his deposit.

Well of course the deposit is back in my pocket, but I will withhold judgement until I hear the full analysis of the start failure. I note with interest Firefly's observation about the condition of the belt. So this is indeed a large red flag and highlights the importance of a thorough and professional engine survey. Also I now have plenty of time to check out trawlers in sunnier climes over the winter.

Without taking this thread off topic... Everyone who's here is in agreement regarding the "rehab" of a 70s/80s MT, etc. What about a Grand Banks from the same era. I occasionally see GB32-36 selling for $35,000-$50,000 US from the same era. If those boats were well maintained, do they pose the same kind of inevitable faults? Are they prone to the same problems such as soft teak decks/houses, leaky windows, rusted fuels tanks, etc.? Or as a group, have they likely aged better than their less expensive counterparts?

I understand that it is ultimately a case-by-case issue. But in broad terms...

Greetings,
Mr. SC. I will preclude my opinion with the confession that I do NOT have any intimate knowledge of GB. I've been on a few but never owned one (yet, maybe).
I think the general consensus is that a "premium" vessel like a GB will age better for two reasons. One, better initial build quality due to materials used and QC. Two, being a more expensive vessel, people who buy them new, seem to have more disposable income for maintenance.
You can probably liken the situation to driving a Chevy vs. a Mercedes BUT, as you say, bottom line is case by case.

$.02...

Without taking this thread off topic... Everyone who's here is in agreement regarding the "rehab" of a 70s/80s MT, etc. What about a Grand Banks from the same era. I occasionally see GB32-36 selling for $35,000-$50,000 US from the same era. If those boats were well maintained, do they pose the same kind of inevitable faults? Are they prone to the same problems such as soft teak decks/houses, leaky windows, rusted fuels tanks, etc.? Or as a group, have they likely aged better than their less expensive counterparts?

I understand that it is ultimately a case-by-case issue. But in broad terms...

"broad terms", yes, same issues can be found in their owners group forum.

I like the Chevy/MB analogy. Until a few years ago, I had a 1992 Mercedes E400 as a daily driver. It was a sweet ride. Even after 240k miles, the engine was bulletproof as evidenced by oil analysis. However, even the overbuilt systems in the Benz wore out. I guess there's no surprise there. This platform had its own flaws that once repaired (costly), the maintenance was routine.

Eventually I got to the point where things were wearing out in 2s and 3s, and I had to let her go. I guess it would be similar with the MT/GB discussion. I drive a Hyundai now (the automotive equivalent of a toaster oven). Couldn't be happier! I guess that tells me what my needs as a boat owner will be... Simple, reliable, no drama. As romantic as the idea is, a taiwanese trawler in my price range would likely make me miserable, broke, or both.

As they say, "Father Time is undefeated!"

Curious about the last boat that was being looked at - that posting has disappeared, but this one is there for same type - same boat? https://kingstonyachtsales.com/boat_listing.php?id=1047

The "last boat" was removed from listing - put away for the winter to be brought out again in the spring. They were unable to start it for the sea trial. The link above is a recent listing, and actually has more features. I hope to take a look at it when unwrapped in the spring.

I agree the "stripper pole" is a concern. I have NEVER seen a cable chase or steering cable chase in that location...it appears to be practically in the middle of the main cabin!
My $.02
Clean, well-maintained boats are out there, and not for much more money.
Good luck,
Oldersalt

Old trawlers all of them reach a point they need refit ...like your knees or a hip... Well maintained and refit are quite different. It is quite possible you could find a well maintained 80 trawler a beauty and next week a fuekor water tank springs a leak. It's all about getting old. A 39 year old lovely looking tank is just that no matter how pretty it looks.

Back
Top Bottom