New purchase Nova Embassy 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lout

Vessel Name
Reinita
Vessel Make
1988 Nova Embassy 444
In am the new owner of an 1988 Nova Embassy Sundeck. As i was checking lower aft compartment i found Balast bars on the Starbord side of the boat.
Was this a normal practice for this kind of boat?
The previous owner never even opened those hidden spaces he did not know anything about them.

In am the new owner of an 1988 Nova Embassy Sundeck. As i was checking lower aft compartment i found Balast bars on the Starbord side of the boat.
Was this a normal practice for this kind of boat?
The previous owner never even opened those hidden spaces he did not know anything about them.

Yes my 2002 novatec (previously Nova) also has ballast as well as my previous boat "Egg Habor"

One of our previous boats was too buoyant in the stern due to the cockpit so I added anout 1000 pounds of lead ingots and glassed them in so they couldn't move around in heavy weather. I put more on one side to even out a list due to things like the water heater and generator being on one side. It worked out well and really didn't change my fuel consumption to a level that was noticeable.

My President has them on the starboard side, with the galley being on the port side it made sense.
It was shocking the first time I saw them.....Hmmm

My buddy's 1986 42 Jefferson has a prominent list due to the uneven placement of appliances and large components. I think it's fairly common to correct list with ballast.

I have a slight port list now that I've mounted my 15 HP OB on the port side of the transom and a new fridge on the port side countertop. I'm countering that with 3 Plano Trunks, each loaded with 8 one-gallon water bottles (200 lbs). Not truly ballast since it's useful and drinkable water, but it's the same concept. And I get another 24 gallons of water onboard. Win-win!!

Just by coincidence, the other day, in an idle moment, while having a bit of a crawl round the engine room (as you do) I found a couple of small railway wheels and steel bars wedged in the space between the starboard fuel tank and the hull. Looks like they have been there right from the build. Opposite side to the galley and head.

Back
Top Bottom