New owner of 34 trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

34Clipper

Veteran Member
Hi everyone!
I have recently taken ownership of a 1978 34 foot Clipper trawler in Australia. (Called CHB in other areas, as it came from the Chung Hwa yard in Taiwan).
It is a very unique layout and I have not seen or heard of any others like it in Australia. It is a sedan style, but has no walk around decks. The Rear saloon is full width and has a very large upper deck.
It has been in the family since 1997 but has recently started showing its age and signs of all of the common issues with these boats, and in need of a restoration.
Needs a lot of repairs to decks, rot in front cabin and rear walls etc.
I plan on doing a blog type thing with plenty of photos along the way for interest of others.
Has anyone seen this model before or know someone that has one?
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_5140.jpg
    IMG_5140.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 260
Hi Tim, and welcome to the forum. Good to see another Aussie member.

Yes, I have the original of that vessel, only mine is 1975 vintage and is one of the then quite rare sedan versions, whereas most back them were aft or tri-cabins. However, it looks like yours has been extensively modified by taking the cabin out to the full width, and raising the front part of the superstructure to form what amounts to a pilothouse version. It also looks like they have extended the saloon rearwards, which has reduced the cockpit somewhat by the looks, so it is now about the area of the cockpit on the Clipper 30..?

Interesting. I doubt it came from Chung Hwa like that. I would be fairly sure it is an after market conversion. I guess it makes it very roomy inside, but does not having the side decks create issues or are you happy with that arrangement. At least being a timber superstructure, repairs for things like rot are not that difficult. Certainly worth doing if you like the boat, or even to sell.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have lots of projects ahead.

Ted

Welcome aboard, any more pictures of your boat (ext & int).

L.

Looks very similar to this Marine Trader 34 RPH.

Attachments

• 00a0a_9Ss3kg0iT5t_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_9Ss3kg0iT5t_1200x900.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 240
I miss my boat. But I don't miss maintaining the beast!

I was gonna say what Harry said. Back in my earlier years I was doing exhaustive research of boats in the mid 30s that had some room in them. I always came upon that Marine Trader 34 RPH and thought it was a pretty damn neat boat. I am willing to bet that is likely the same boat.

Thanks guys

Thanks everyone. I am surely a proud owner. Peter it is definitely a yard built boat as it seems to be the same as the photo Harry posted. That is the first time I have seen another like it. It has all of the same lines, timberwork, carved murals etc as other Chung hwa builds, ford lehman 120 and all identical light fittings, decks and window trims as all of the other sedan and tri-cabin modles. Harry do you have any more photos of that one?
I love not having walk around decks as they are only used 1% of time you are onboard, whereas a wide cabin and upper deck space are what makes it so large. It is easy to walk through to the rear cockpit from the pilot house.
The only thing that would be nice is a slightly larger rear deck/cockpit area.
Baker did you have any more photos/info on them? I was told these are super rare and they only made about 10 of them.
I will get some more photos for you all shortly.
Tim

Ah well, I'm used to accepting one can still learn a new thing every day, and this is one of them. I had never seen a version like that before, I must say, and I am fairly familiar with the whole Chung Hwa range. Maybe they were a made to order variation..? Anyway...yes...looks like a very roomy boat, and as you say, one can do without the side decks without too much trouble, although those who have then love them, but the shortish cockpit is the only downside. I'd love to see a stern angle view, like in my avatar pic, to see how they managed the access to the upper deck. And interior views of course, when convenient.

Welcome aboard 34Clipper! Where in Broken Bay/Hawkesbury was that pic taken?
There is/was a somewhat similar boat at Brooklyn Marina. It was for sale, called Honeymoon, but in French, "Miele de Lune", or similar.
You must have good living space. Reminds me of the American Tug and Nordic Tugs we see on TF. Where is the boat kept?

Thanks bruceK

That photo was taken at berowra waters. It sure does have a large rear open plan cabin space, raised pilothouse and from there forward is identical to all other 34s.
Peter B, yes I was assuming it may be a made to order shape too. Looking at the log books It was originally in Birkenhead point Marina back in the 80s. Here is a view from the rear. I'll try and dig up some photos of inside. Most photos i have are full of people!
There is a sedan style for sale at the moment just like yours in pitwater.
One thing it also has a lot of is fuel. 1200L of diesel and 600L of fresh water spread over 6 tanks. Not sure if that is normal but Jeez that's a lot of fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_5141.jpg
    IMG_5141.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 198
Arrrr Berowra Waters I know her very well she is broad nice boat. I was on the marina till last week I'm now boat less :( Did you move ?Where are you moored now ?

Last edited:
Yes Gaston, good ol berowra. I'm still there, just out on a mooring. Had the boat in the same spot for 20 years now. (Well my dad has until now)
Hope your staying in the boating scene.

Here's a few more pics. This boat was for sale on CL last month but is no longer there. I have seen 2 or 3 for sale over the years, but they are definitely rare.

Attachments

• 00808_2ImsUs3Xqgz_1200x900.jpg
    00808_2ImsUs3Xqgz_1200x900.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 00000_bqJo6UynnN4_1200x900.jpg
    00000_bqJo6UynnN4_1200x900.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 00M0M_eKWUSBidVu_1200x900.jpg
    00M0M_eKWUSBidVu_1200x900.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 00Q0Q_fz2zHHOKrjE_1200x900.jpg
    00Q0Q_fz2zHHOKrjE_1200x900.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Wow thanks Harry!
Looking closer, it is the same overall shape, but still so many differences. Mine has different side steps, teak trims underneath the front windscreen, a curved section behind the rear window, and the interior is completely different. I will hopefully have photos tonight for you to see.
Thanks again, it would be nice to find out how many of these were made, and how many are still out there. I'm fascinated.

That's quite funny. I'm long time friends with the people who own that boat, never knew it was for sale. Lovely boat too!

That's quite funny. I'm long time friends with the people who own that boat, never knew it was for sale. Lovely boat too!
It came onto Brooklyn Marina in about 2007 when we were there on a swing mooring, caught my eye. We returned to Brooklyn, different marina, in 2015. Saw it recently when I was there getting some shipwright work done at the Marina by Greg Lowe, their excellent resident shipwright.
Do you know if it started life built like that?
Odd, just tried to view the ad to check something. Yachthub says it has been deleted; if so, it happened today.

Yes as far as I know, it was built that way. Very similar layout to mine too. Pretty sure they purchased it around 2005-2007 too. It is still on boatsales.com. I searched for cheoy lee 36.

Hi Tim,

Hope you got my PM. I'm a bit late to this thread.

Small world, I motored around your boat about 6 weeks ago, I was curious to see what it was .We had just had a looong hot lunch at Pete's Bite & motored up to the bay just before Berowra, for a couple of nights, great spot.

I took the RIB up for coffee & an explore and came across your boat.Indeed an interesting specimen, I think it is going to keep you quite busy.As I mentioned to you already I had a Clipper for many years, great boats & easy to work on, watch the rot though.

Good luck

Wow smalll world indeed.
Yes very nice spot up there, many a weekend of my childhood spent there.
Yes as you probably saw it is in need of a lot of work, mostly rot. Unfortunately my dad hasn't had time over the last few years as he is looking after his dads health, and as we all know a small leak soon turns into a big problem.
I have just started the re-coring job on he upper flybridge so there's no turning back now. Also needs rear deck replaced, some interior teak replaced and an overall tidy up with fresh paint and varnish. The front cabin needs gutting as there was a leak that has slowly rotted the framework, that is why there is a canvas cover over the front, keeps it dry!
Nice to know of other owners around the area, and this forum is full of experienced "repairers" haha.
I have so many childhood memories with this boat so I knew I had to restore it. Only question I need to ask people is if they think I should restore it to original, or to modernize it while I have the chance, (downlights, general electrics, new ceilings, new galley benchtop, modern toilets etc).
I still plan on keeping most if not all of the teak, hard work I know but it's a real head turner when its glistening.
Nice to hear from you Andy, may see you around.

A mid-thirty-foot boat is a dandy for two people doing coastal and inland cruising: an obvious conclusion from one who has such a sized boat.

Greetings,
Mr. 34. Well, IF you're going through the trouble of repair, I think "modernization" is an extremely valid consideration. Personally, I don't think that replacing old, dated and possibly non functional systems with a similar system will effect the nostalgia factor at all.
For example: Modern lighting (LED) is far superior to old incandescent technology in both longevity and power usage. We're slowly replacing all our overhead fluorescent tubes with LED strips using the same housing and thus maintaining the "look".
Unless the old headliners (ceilings) are of a particular style or pattern, new liners will help to brighten up the interior and potentially be easier to clean.
Electrics/electronics should also be addressed since from the sound of your repairs, you will have ready access behind panels and bulkheads. Great time to replace any dodgy wiring or run new stuff for upgrading or future use.
Dunny? Sure, replace. Waste movement to a holding tank or lack thereof is the last thing you would EVER want to deal with while out and about. That being said, IF the units are of quality AND there are repair/rebuild kits available, by all means keep them.
Just a few random musings...

Thanks for the input firefly,
I am starting to think upgrading is the way to go while it's all out. I was just worried that if I modernize it I will get "oh why did you butcher it, now it's not original".
I guess I'm used to that from the car scene. .
Mark pierce, completely agree, perfect size boat for weekends and small trips!

Greetings,
Mr. 34. Upgrading and modernizing need not appear much different from original. I'm sure you can reuse most, if not all of your lighting fixtures. I'm in the process of rebuilding our 1971 VW van (we've owned for 41 years) and I can guarantee that all interior and exterior lighting will be LED IF I can fit such into the original housings. The tired 46 year old seating will be replaced with modern takeouts (Ricaro from a GTI or tan leather from a Volvo). Anyone criticizing the lack of authenticity isn't going to be sitting in it while cruising all day to a new and exciting destination. Comfort and convenience.

Further: Who is going to be saying "oh why did you butcher it, now it's not original".? Friends? Family? Dock neighbours? Tell them the boat's for sale for $500K AUD and they should buy it and put it back to original if it bothers them so much. Otherwise tell 'em "Pull your head in mate".

Last edited:
Yep, agree with RT Firefly, don't get caught up too much with the old v new argument, that is of course assuming it is not a classic Halvorsen one are talking about. Even then if you look closely at the rebuilt Halvo's, there is a lot that is not original about them.

If I might suggest, check out the wood encased engines bearers carefully and additionally the front cabin cross beams(supporting the floor)Notorious weak spots in the Clippers.Of course we need not mention the spongy deck issues which any owner of an old boat with Teak decks is prone to dream about. :rolleyes:

Older boats and originality reminds me of an old axe treasured for many years, even though it has had 2 new handles and a new head. I would not hesitate to update it, sympathetically if possible.
Thinking about it I`m sure we saw your boat at Berowra last Easter when Gaston kindly lent us a mooring overnight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom