Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Member - New Owner of a Cheer Man PT-42 Europa - Red Gypsy

As a new member of this forum and a new owner of PT-42 Europa Trawler, I wanted to see if any other other members have this boat. I will be bring her from Fort Lauderdale, Fla to East Greenwich, Rhode Island in early May. We are excited at the prospect of making this journey and have been hard at work making her ready.

Red Gypsy has twin Lehman SP225 engines and a WMD 8 Westerbeke Genset. I was wondering if anyone has created a speed/RPM* fuel burn table for this boat.

The prior owner provided a spreadsheet that shows a 5gph burn for both engines at 9 knots. Having looked at the generic fuel burn curve for the SP225 engines, it looks more like 4-5 Per engine per hour. Since this is a 100% difference, I was wondering if anyone has any experience they can share. The boat is between 28,000 lbs with a standard* Cheer man semi displacement hull.

I saw posting for the PT-38 and the two boats look very similar.*

I look forward to feedback from the forum community and look forward to being part of the Trawler crowd.

I will post pictures shortly

-- Edited by Coast Guard Dave on Monday 7th of February 2011 03:59:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails
2266205_2.jpg   2266205_3.jpg  
Coast Guard Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

City: Clyde
Vessel Name: Lucky Find III
Vessel Model: PT -Europa Style Sedan

Hi Dave,
Good luck with your new boat. I am an owner of a PT-38 Europa and my wife and I love her dearly. She is equipped with twin Perkins 135's and this summer we tracked a burn rate of about 3gph for both engines at 8.5knots.

Although, really not helpful to you.....I just like to brag about our "Lucky Find III"

Again, I wish you the best and I am sure you will love cruising in your "new to you" yacht.

-- Edited by albaris on Monday 7th of February 2011 03:59:14 PM
albaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

RE: New Member - New Owner of a Cheer Man PT-42 Europa - Red Gypsy

Al,

Thank you for your welcome. As I make my journey from Florida, I hope to post from time to time.
I look forward to learning more about your PT-38. I will look for
Original Manuals and will post if I find any. The former owner left many
Documents but they are on the boat.

I am on a plane and they are about to close the door. Thank you again for your fast reply and welcome and I look forward to
Writing with you again.

David
Old 02-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

Congratulations Dave

A gentleman named Rick Hudson who's PT is in the same marina as us has tracked down 23 PT owners across North America. We welcome you to join the list, just send me an private message with you information and I will make sure you are added. I have some of the manuals and will share, just need your email. Check out our website to see what we have.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Dave,
Where in Lauderdale are you fitting her out?
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

She is docked at a private home on 21st in Fort Lauderdale. I am having her painted and new electronics installed before i bring her to NE. Where do you keep your boat? I may be n Florida in the next few weeks to check on the work. Please send me a private message with your contact information if you are in Florida and would like to see her when I a in Florida.

Regards

David
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #7

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42

Dave,

Mines not a Europa and the boat was re-engined from the original Lehman's with 225HP John Deeres.* But, I think our hull are basically the same and my displacement is also 28, 000.*

I don't have a speed/burn graph.* However, so far I have found that I get 1½ nautical miles per gallon on trips at a rough average speed of 9.5 knots (about 1,500 RPM) ...or about 6.3 GPH.* That does include some generator time at anchorage and I also usually have a couple of 15-20 minute speed runs to blow out the cobwebs.* This is based on topping off my tanks afterwards.* So, anyway, 5GPH at a steady 9 knots doesn't sound out of the question.

BTW, not trying to be picky, but it's Cheer Men, not Man.

-- Edited by Tonic on Thursday 10th of February 2011 01:23:33 AM
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #8

City: Newport Beach, ca
Vessel Name: CANTINA
Vessel Model: PT Europa Sedan 41

Hi Dave, Welcome aboard!, I joined Trawler Forum last Jan. however have not been too active, sort of forgot about it, needless to say, it is a great source of information especially for older boats. As you might have already discovered, there are not alot of PTs around. It has been fun searching and you will likely come to love your PT as all PT owners do. My europa sedan is an 86, so yours is a later model and some changes were obviously made. Its the overall look and proportions that I love. As for the fuel consumption, we have a single SP225 turbo diesel and usually cruise @ 8 kts +/-.
I figure we burn approx. 2.5 ga. / hour. Fuel has never been an issue at this rate and that is why we specifically bought a single screw. She has vetus bow thruster and hydraulic stern thruster, so manuverabillity not a problem. Anyway, RED GYPSY looks great. Have fun!
Mike Martin
"CANTINA"
PT 41 Europa Sedan
Attached Thumbnails
img_2859.jpg  
Cantina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to post your fuel burn information. My boat has twin SP225's so I assume the burn will be around 4.5 to 5.5 GPH at
8 Kts. I plan to create a table that I will share with the group. Also I will be happy to scan and post any manuals that I come upon. If you send me your email, I can forward a few documents that I have collected so far. If you have additional pictures of your PT, I woud love to see them.
I just had a radar mount made and I am installing a Raymarine RL80c Plus chart plotter at the lower helm and 70c Plus on the upper. Went with a 48mi pathfinder raydome. Also installed a new VHF radio with DSC and AIS. The Audo pilot and depth sounders were in good shape.

I look forward to learning about any tips you have that you think are unique to these boats.

Regards,

David
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

Hi Dave, My email is:* michaelmartinarchitect@cox.net
I will try to send more photos of my boat in the near future and hope to see more of yours as well. The 41s are scarce and I have not come across any 42s like yours either. I've been surfing the net and talking to other PT owners since sep. 2008 and just not many around. Lots of 38s out there and they are almost the same.
Talk again soon,
Mike Martin
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

Dave, Here are a couple* more shots of Cantina. I'm curious about the layout of your 42. I assume the PT did not change too drastically in a year. Thats Nina, my wife and McKenna, my daughter @ the wheel. Later.
Attached Thumbnails
christmas party 2008-1.jpg   pretending!-1.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Mike,

Great Pictures ! Here are some dated pictures of the interior. My wife has claimed ownership of the interior and will be spending time this year making some changes. I will be happy to send photos as this project evolves. Our goal, like yours is to keep the charm of the original interior while makeing some updates and color changes. I really like what you have done.* Was the helm seat added before you purchased the boat or did you added it. If you added it, what is the make, model, did you have to remove more then the original helm seat and storage to fit it in? Do you like it?* Regards,* David
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #13

Dave, I see your layout is very similar except for the nav station. Will come in handy for that cruise up the coast. Looks very nice inside, like new! The helm chair in mine was installed by me in 2008. I did not alter the space for the chair. There is about 2" behind the backrest to the cabinet so the chair can rotate. I can get by the chair to get*out through the door, but the footrest must be in the UP possition. I installed a teak footrest on the bulkhead beneath the wheel because it seams more stable to have your feet on a seperate footrest in heavy seas. I ordered it from Llebroc Industries. Many styles and options, colors, etc. Mine is the BANDERA II with COGNAC ultra leather with black stitching. The base is powder coated black and screwed to the cabin sole. I will eventually go back and "thru bolt" the base to the floor, as it is currently screwed. The chair seems solid but they are very well built and Heavy so it is better to be thru bolted. I love the chair, very comfortable and endless compliments. Rather pricey but lets face it, this is a boat.
Regards,
Mike

-- Edited by Cantina on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 11:58:48 AM

-- Edited by Cantina on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 11:59:53 AM
Attached Thumbnails
cantina @ moonstone-1.jpg   helm chair-1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Mike,

I do like what you did to fit your helm seat into the space. I will look into it as an upgrade. I just had a radar mast made to cleanup the radar arch. I will send you a picture. I have also added AlgaeX to the fuel lines, added a second VHf, DSC, AIS radio as well as other upgrades. As mentioned, I will send photos when done.

Where do you keep your boat? What type of trips have you and your family made?

I just found out that I won the $5000.00 Namtuckett Boat Basin contest, so I think we will be going there this summer. It included 2 nights stay at the marina, dinner for 4, spa for 4 , passes for 4 to the museum and a days fishing or sailing charter. I never win anything so I was quite surprised and excited We were at this marina a few years ago and it was very nice. Our boat at the time a 36 foot Searay seemed like the smallest boat in the marina. Most of the other boats were large yachts or super yachts.

I found sources for oil filters for the Lehman SP225 that less costly then through American Diesel. They can be found on www.filterbarn.com and are Cummings. Fleet guard - oil filter. Part number. *LF3343.

I ordered the rest of the spair parts kit from American Diesel.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #15

Dave, Congrats on your 5K winnings! Maybe its your lucky year. I moor Cantina in Newport Beach Harbor. We don't have much time for extended cruises, so we have been cruising to Catalina Island for 3 and*5 night trips where our yacht club has a landing. ( About 27 miles out from the mainland) Its great fun and alot of boating people we know. ( Balboa Yacht Club ). It does get rough in the channel some times and the boat has handled it well. The Cummins oil filter you mentioned is the same I use and paid $95 for it once. I have found online source as well but have to purchase 6 filters to get them for about $49 apiece. I will check out your source, thanks for the info. Love to see your new mast when its up. M
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Mike,

Has Rick retuned? I would love to get on his PT list so I can connect to other PT owners if needed. I will be bringing "Red Gypsy" from Fort Lauderdale to Rhode Island towards the end of this month. My guess is that if the weather works for us, it sill take about 10 days.

I am still waiting for some work to be completed in Florida, before we take off. Most of it is cosmetic restoration - I hate hairline cracks so I am having them all ground out and the boat painted. The hull does not have this problem so it just needed a good compounding and polish.

Have you or any of the other members soda blasted the bottom of your boats or done more then straight annual bottom painting? Looking to get data points on others experience with condition, treatment and maintenance of bottoms on these vessels.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Mike,

I love what you did with the helm station. At some point, I may follow in your direction. As mentioned, my wife has taken ownership for the interior. This even includes TV selection! I will send pictures to you as the changes evolve. I really like what you have done with the salon in your boat.

I changed the 12v bulbs in the salon to LEDs. I have tried both soft and bright white. Still not happy. Thinking about replacing fixtures with some other type. I currently have 8 standard round two bulb cabin lights. What have you used? Are you happy with the amount and color of the light? I am looking for even lighting and enough intensity so you can see at night. May also augment with lamps. Let me know of you have any suggestions.

Thx
David
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #18

Dave, I did not make any changes to the salon lighting....yet. They are the standard ceiling mounted lights, and I don't really use them that often, seem a little bright. I like lamps better. they make the space feel homey and give off a softer light. Also a lamp shade sheilds the bulb. The right shade will make the room. As for the bottom paint, I had Cantina hauled Feb. 2009 and repainted. The bottom has no blisters and actually looked very good, so no need for anything other than paint and zincs. Its time again.*Good luck on your voyage up the coast. Sounds like you have really made alot of improvements and upgrades to your boat so have fun...enjoy the ride!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #19

Superdiver, The helm chair does take up alot of room, read my previous post ( about 6 posts up ). I feel there is ample room to pass through the door, when the footrest is UP. I'm 6' tall and 178 pounds, so I don't need too much room but as I expand over the years, this could be a problem! Hope my explanation gives you a better picture.

Cheers, Mike Martin

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Dave:

C&L 44, so similar hull. twin Volvos, 200 hp each,so similar power. 8.2knot cruise,so similar usage.
4gph consistently, including diesel stove and genset usage.
Your 5 gph at 9 knots sounds right.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote