Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: New Member - New Owner of a Cheer Man PT-42 Europa - Red Gypsy

BEWARE , comparing boats with say a 35ft lwl , the difference in power required between 9K , 8K and slower is HUGE!!

For a 36ft LWL , about 7K is where cheap to operate stops, an extra 2K (9K) may cost 2X the 7k burn.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Good point. We have been buring 6.5 gal an hour at an average speed of 8.5 Knots. Yesterday with lots of wind and current at 9.3 knots we burned an average of 8.8 GPH. When I return, I plan to post our fuel burn numbers for the Twin Lehman SP225 Engines.* To your point a Trawler that is 45 feet will have different numbers then a 38 with different engines. However, it is an interesting data point.
Coast Guard Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Just returned from by run from Fort Lauderdale to Rhode Island. 1700 Miles to figure out fuel burn with twin SP225 Lehman Diesels.
I found that at on average I burned 6.5 gallons per hour at 1600 RPM with a average speed of 8.6 knots. At 1400, I would be close to the 4.5 to 5 per hour and at 1800-1850, 8 to 8.5 gallons per hour . Add wind and current and these numbers get better or worse as expected.
Given that five people plus gear plus a heavy dingy were aboard, I was pleased with these numbers.

If interested, I created a website for the trip: www.redgypsy.net

Besides pictures and blogs, I will also be posting reference materials on the major systems as I have time or find them so that the Cheer Men community can begin to build a reference Library. If these type of site exists or you have material that can be posted, let me know.

Regards,

Coast Guard Dave
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #24

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34

Dave,

Very nicely done on the website. Also quite an adventure in the telling. *Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Brookings, Oregon
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Name: Raincoast Gypsy
Vessel Model: Cheer Men 38

Welcome CG Dave. You have chosen to fly with the eagles and can now look down on those lesser Javex bottle boats that clutter our waterways. May the teak fairy bless you and care for your brightwork this season, and for many to come.

Dave B is right, we have a Pacific NW group (now 31 boats) but we are strictly a paper tiger, and haven't actually DONE anything yet. But we share boat names, home ports and cell phones, so it's hoped that we will arrange some informal cruising among the boats in the future.

I am happy to add you to our elite group, but warn that you will forever be an outsider, forced to sit at the back of shareholder meetings, and reduced to nibbling the dry sandwiches afterwards, because (a) you are 42', not 38', and (b) you are on the right hand edge, and we are all lefties. [Note that only Delta still treats PT-38s as handluggage. I am unclear on their policy regarding PT-42s, so getting across to visit us may be expensive.]

Safe cruising, wherever your final destination may be.

Rick Hudson

"Raincoast Gypsy" PT-38

Sidney, BC
Attached Thumbnails
image- 338.jpg  
Rick Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Rick,

Thank you for making me the first right edge member. The 38 and the 42 are so similar they are often mistaken to be twins. If I get three months and hit the lottery, I will plan a trip to meet the my left edge friends in the BC area. I am sorry it has taken so long to respond but I have swamped since bring the boat up from Florida. I look forward to hearing from you and being added to and getting a copy of your list I hope to start scanning some original manuals and other materials soon. I will post them on www.redgypsy.net under the resource section. If you or anyone has any vendors or sources you want to share, I will be happy to post them.

Regards

David
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Hi CG Dave,

Currently cruising in the Broughton archipelago, a group of ragtag islands north of Vancouver Island, where comm is sporadic. Any scanned data would be of great interest to others, as original instructions tend to be lacking when buying a 25 year old boat! One of our Pacific NW members even has the original showroom brochure from 1983! Oy vey, but things were cheaper then. Not necessarily better, but cheaper.

Wish you could see the sunset I'm looking at.

Regards,

Rick Hudson

"Raincoast Gypsy" PT-38

North Saanich, BC
Attached Thumbnails
dscn4254-the raincoast gypsy at the start of the cruise.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Rick,

Sounds beautiful. As I sit in the rain today, I will dream of
beautiful sunsets. It would be great if we could create an
archive everyone could leverage to better understand
the boat and systems. Will start to dig soon.

David
Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Rick,

I hope you made it back safely from your Joirney . Since we last spoke I have been adding new systems to the boat. This winter I am having the props done as well as the cutless bearings.

When you get a chance, I was hoping to get the list of PT owners you have put together. Let me know of you need info from me.

I look forward to hearing more about what you have been doing with your boat. I looked at the pictures you sent again . What a beautiful boat.

Be well

David
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the wonderful world of PT ownership! May your seas be calm and your teak decks never leak. I have lots of fuel performance data for my PT-38, which came with a Perkins* 135 hp, but that won't help you.

Really just writing to wish you well with your new pride & joy and to let you know that at the 2011 AGM of the Most Exalted PT-38 Owners of North America (MEPTONA) it was, after considerable debate, resolved that we would allow PT-42-ers into the society, and*induct them into the secret handshake. An agent will be contacting you shortly. When someone says, "Your cat is full of resin", you reply, "It is hot in Beijing today." Instructions to follow.

Regards,

Rick Hudson

"Raincoast Gypsy" PT-38

Sidney, BC

Sent from my SNOWBERRY, Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

What AGM? (Annual General Meeting or A------- Get More)

rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #32

City: Bay Area
Vessel Name: Que Pasha
Vessel Model: Cheer Men 42' PT Trawler 1985
Guru - we own a 1985 42 ft PT and am looking for info and manuals. Hope you have some sources. thanks. jeff@jeffmoss.com
Que Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #33

City: San Rafael
Vessel Name: Que Pasha
Vessel Model: 1985 42 ft Cheer Men Trawler
Tonic, I read a post from you from awhile ago saying you had a manual. I did download what you provided back then, but was wondering if you had been able to acquire the missing portions. Let me know, thanks.
Mossesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:51 AM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Can a PT-52 play in your group?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #35

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
CGDave: I see from your blog that your hailing port is Apponaug RI. Are you still there? At Ponaug or Apponaug Harbor Marina? I've spent time in both. Ponaug offers more protection in a blow, but gets much hotter.Now I'm in Allen Harbor in N. Kingstown
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #36

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossesq View Post
Tonic, I read a post from you from awhile ago saying you had a manual. I did download what you provided back then, but was wondering if you had been able to acquire the missing portions. Let me know, thanks.
Sorry, but I have no more than I posted originally.
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #37

City: EASTHAMPTON, NEW YORK
Vessel Name: REFUGE
Vessel Model: Performance Trawler 35
Glad to read postings of other happy PT owners. I have a PT 35' Sundeck with a single Lehman 225. I love the large aft stateroom but sure would like an aft cockpit.
Bensjoy is offline   Reply With Quote