Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #41

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Espray
Vessel Model: Norman Wright
Hi Gmarr

A lot of water has passed under the hull since I last looked at this thread. We still have our 34 foot Norman Wright bay cruiser and the search for the 44 footer continues.

We recently looked at a 1980ish Island Gypsy with plate #1. Very interesting but the early design is so far from what was being developed in 1982-84 that we looked away.

We looked at another Island Gypsy 44 recently as well and on the surface the boat was quite nice. Bow thruster, excellent covers and nice interior. On the flip side the decks were bowed down (so good covers were essential), the teak decks were very tired, and the volvos were burning quite a bit of smoke.

I guess the reality is that boats older than 30 years are all ging to need serious work and serious money.

Recently a nice IG44 sold here in Brisbane for around 200K AUD but it had newly laid teak decks, total hull refurbishment and all water and fuel tanks replaced. Probably the best part of 130k AUD.

For our part with love the layout of IG44s but the Defever 44 (of which there are hardly any in Australia) seam a better build.

Good luck with the hunting.

G
PS. Old Fuel tanks, Teak Decks, Hull, Motors are the biggees to watch

grant.gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #42
Guru

Her is a later series IG44 which recently came on the market in Sydney and may be of interest. I think I saw it anchored in Sugarloaf Bay once, it looked a nice boat. Used Island Gypsy 44 Europa Sedan for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #43

Vessel Name: Espray
Vessel Model: Norman Wright
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Her is a later series IG44 which recently came on the market in Sydney and may be of interest. I think I saw it anchored in Sugarloaf Bay once, it looked a nice boat. Used Island Gypsy 44 Europa Sedan for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Hi Bruce,

Yes mate it does look a nice boat. I do not mind the Europa style, but the Financial Controller has her heart set on the aft cabin version and as we move into our sixties climbing ladders is just getting a bit more problematic.

Thanks for your input thought we appreciate it.

G
grant.gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #44

City: Angola
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Be VERY careful of the older trawlers from Taiwan (Albin, Marine Trader, etc) that are anything but at the upper end of the asking prices or you know the owner and the history of maintenance. Do NOT rely on a surveyor to give the info necessary to make an informed purchase.

Sure there could be a deal of the century out there...all I am saying is be careful as these boats on average, even when they look spectacular have not been upgraded or well maintained beyond the obvious.

The hard things like complete plumbing or electrical or complete fitting resealing probably have been ignored and are costly or time consuming to bring up to good standards. Really check them out thoroughly before you think you are getting a good deal.

Many rant about what a great boat they got only to find just a few years later what a rats nest of outdated wiring, delaminated/soft decks and large areas of rot, delaminated hulls from hydrolysis, repeatedly patch but never upgraded water systems, leaking windows beyond repair....on and on....
I am looking at a 1974 34MT. The owner is saying it is wet in a number of areas so I have a fair feeling for what I am getting into. Are the hulls on these boats cored or solid?
Bill
kabaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. k.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #46
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I've done a lot of boat shopping over the year and have owned some odd 15 or so boats... a lot of small ones, but a few boats in the cruiser range 27 to 40 feet.

Overall, when you do older boat, you need to know the condition and maintenance history in detail. There are MANY issues that crop up.....

For "me", I'll pay a bit more for a later boat that may not be as big or have all the bells and whistles for better maintenance. Now, where that point is anyone's guess.....but in the boats that are "ball park" 10 to 20 year old, you'll find these.

They have pretty much depreciated where the value won't go done a big amount over the years. But, if they are in good shape with low hours, it can be a killer deal.

Also, there are older boats where someone had spend a TON of money making it perfect and get the itch for a newer one and those can be a killer deal.

I've got an acquaintance that's selling his 30 yr old Grand Banks look alike that he spend more dollars than he could get out of it with new engine and fuel tank. Someone will get a deal on that boat.

BUT, one needs to shop very carefully with any boat that starts to get age on it.......
Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #47
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant.gurney View Post
Hi Bruce,

Yes mate it does look a nice boat. I do not mind the Europa style, but the Financial Controller has her heart set on the aft cabin version and as we move into our sixties climbing ladders is just getting a bit more problematic.

Thanks for your input thought we appreciate it.

G
Think very seriously before passing on a Europa style in favour of an aft cabin. We were the other way round, I wanted aft cabin, my wife demanded and adft cockpit with the same level living walk in - walk out, indoor/outdoor lifestyle that allows, and so we waited until one came along. And you know, she was right..! For the number of times you actually take other (non-close-family) away over-nighting, compared to the sheer practicality of the larger saloon and the sheltered and protected one-level, (no climbing stairs), outdoor sitting area, so valuable when entertaining day sail type guests, there is no comparison - for most, I should add.