Old 07-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
charles,
I've been reading about your stern tube problem as I am about to cut into my Marine Trader to fix a similar leak.I was wondering how your situation turned out? I'll be pulling the boat next week and am looking for information as to how other folks have fixed this kind of problem.
Thanks
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
My 1979 38 foot Taiwan Sea Chief trawler single engine had a stainless stern tube. Drilled hole in keel from outside and it drained for a week. Not a good material in stagnant sea water. Pitted and started leaking into the boat. Tube was in hollow keel backfilled with concrete. Real tough project to break out concrete and remove. Replaced with fiberglass tube and new concrete. Glassed tube to keel at exit and replace shaft cutlass holder.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #23

City: Santa Cruz, ca
Vessel Name: Morning Glory
Vessel Model: 1984 Monk 36
I ended up inserting a polycarbonate sleeve into the defective stainless tube. The plastic tube was glued into the stainless robe with 5200 adhesive caulking.

I considered tearing out the old stainless tube and replacing it with a fiberglass replacement - but our marine surveyed suggested trying the insert as he had had good experience with a sleeve on his personal vessel. It was a very easy and inexpensive fix and my thought was that I could still always go ahead and replace everything if it didn't work well- and wouldn't have lost much.

However - it has worked well. The sleeve was put in about a year ago and it stopped the leaking! Since the fix, we've used the boat a lot here in the Monterey bay - in calm & rough ocean conditions and at sustained high and low RPMS.

I've got the spec sheet on the insert and some pictures I can send/post if your interested.

Charles Hicks
Morning Glory #42
charles hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles hicks View Post

I've got the spec sheet on the insert and some pictures I can send/post if your interested.

Charles Hicks
Morning Glory #42
Yes please post as much detail as you can!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply Charles. I'd really appreciate any specs and pic's that you could post. It seems like there are others that would be very interested in your experience here. I'm not sure just what I'll find once I cut into it, but the sleeve idea seems like a good option if there is enough clearance to do so. Just wondering, was the tube threaded on the ends to make the connections front and rear? If not, how were they originally connected?
Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #26

City: Ottawa
Vessel Name: Peapod
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Specs and Pictures would be helpful

I too have a leaky 86 Monk and suspect the stern tube is at fault.
Your solution sounds very good and I would like to proceed with the same fix.

David Falls
Peapod #86 1986 Monk 36
David Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

David,
Just a suggestion, not sure how your Monk is set up, but I thought my Marine Trader had a bad stern tube also. Turns out that the cutless housing flange on the rear of the keel was not sealed to the keel and allowed water to enter, where it worked it's way up outside the shaft log and satutated the area behind the buklkhead to which the forward cutless bearing was attached to. The sealant around the shaft log had eroded and allowed the water to work up to where it seeped into the bilge. This may not be the case with your Monk, but deserves some attention, since if by chance this is what you are experiencing, it's a whole lot easier and cheaper to repair. I have repaired this on my Trader so if you suspect that this may be the case, then I can tell you how I have repaired mine, which seems to have been successful since it has been 3 months since it was splashed and no leaks as of yet. Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #28

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
This is a very old thread... But the last poster is spot on thus is almost always the issue not the stern tube...
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #29
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
David,
Just a suggestion, not sure how your Monk is set up, but I thought my Marine Trader had a bad stern tube also. Turns out that the cutless housing flange on the rear of the keel was not sealed to the keel and allowed water to enter, where it worked it's way up outside the shaft log and satutated the area behind the buklkhead to which the forward cutless bearing was attached to. The sealant around the shaft log had eroded and allowed the water to work up to where it seeped into the bilge. This may not be the case with your Monk, but deserves some attention, since if by chance this is what you are experiencing, it's a whole lot easier and cheaper to repair. I have repaired this on my Trader so if you suspect that this may be the case, then I can tell you how I have repaired mine, which seems to have been successful since it has been 3 months since it was splashed and no leaks as of yet. Hope this helps, good luck!
Hi there - I am trying to resolve a leak from around the stern tube on my CHB34. Would you mind telling me how you resealed your stern tube?
Thanks,
Nick Fletcher
Nick F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monk, stern tube