MC-42 Motor Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
We have owned our boat for six years now. The lack of history about the boat has always bugged me. The electric panel says MC-42 built by Overseas Company. When we bought it they sold it as a Monk. There isn't anything on the boat that says its a Monk. Well the last few weeks I have been playing detective and come up with some information on these boats. I tracked down a dealer in Midland Ontario that sold the boats in the late 80s. His recollection were that the Canadian importer brought both 36 and 42 Monks to Canada from the Taiwan Overseas boat yard in Kaohsiung , Taiwan. The USA importer was Al Smith owner of North Sea Yachts. He eventually brought the 36 mold to Nova Scotia.
The designer was Todd Harris. I exchanged emails with him.
"The MC 42 was his design for Taiwan Overseas Yachts in south Taiwan. There was a predecessor, a more displacement-hull version called the MMC 41, built by Miracle Marine in north Taiwan. The MMC 41 may have been a Taiwan design, originally. Not sure. The MC 42 design was an attempt to maintain the many positive features of the MMC 41 (especially her layout, and character) while improving the hull to semi-displacement performance and speeds.
There was a companion design in that line that I believe was a Monk design, the "Monk 36," also built in the 80's by Taiwan Overseas, and earlier I think by MM in North Taiwan.
In the early 90's, the molds for the MC42 were bought by Ricker Yachts and moved to Guatemala and then to Florida. Ricker Yachts is not building boats anymore, I believe. Not sure how many MC42's were built in all. Probably over 30."
When asked how the MC 42 got labeled as a Monk he surmised that the dealers did it because the boats came off the same line as the Monk 36 and that they guessed the designer.
I now think I know a little more about the boats. I will probably continue to call her a Monk. She looks like a Monk 36 stretched out and the interior fit out is very much alike. If anyone has more information, please add it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160219_091347611_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160219_091347611_HDR.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 522
  • MC 42-1.jpg
    MC 42-1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 613
  • MC 42.jpg
    MC 42.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 723
Hello Dave
I have owned a MC42 for 13 years. We like the boat but there are a few defects I was wondering how you dealt with them. My Nielson Maxwell windlass is too far forward and so the chain piles up and jams the windlass, so I need a chain tender to knock down the pile. Have you experienced this also? I have 3/8 BBB chain and 66# bruce anchor. Warm Regards, Willy Dostal pescador260@yahoo.com and reeljoy260@yahoo.com

Willy, good to here from another MC42 owner. I don't have problems with the windlass. I have a vertical Lewmar that is the whole way at the back and the chain drops straight down the center of the chain locker.

. The designer was Todd Harris. I exchanged emails with him.

I will probably continue to call her a Monk.

Why don't you call her a Harris. I think that Ed Monk and Todd Harris would prefer that.

David

Mc 42

Hi Dave,
We are about to look at a MC 42 in Midland tomorrow which until now we thought was a Monk 42. I would like to talk with you about the boat. What is the best way to get in touch. Thank you,
Ken

Hi Dave,
We are about to look at a MC 42 in Midland tomorrow which until now we thought was a Monk 42. I would like to talk with you about the boat. What is the best way to get in touch. Thank you,
Ken

I sent you a PM

Why don't you call her a Harris. I think that Ed Monk and Todd Harris would prefer that.

David

I agree. Having researched the designer, I am puzzled as to why you would not further publicize the true situation.

I agree. The pics demonstrate the confusion. They are all MC 42s

Attachments

• Overseas Monk 42.jpg
    Overseas Monk 42.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 419
  • Overseas Monk.jpg
    Overseas Monk.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 362
  • MC 42.jpg
    MC 42.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 510
MC 42, Monk and Neptune

Hi guys!

(I hope someone still reads this even if it's long time ago.)

I'm looking at a Neptune 42 Classic in Sweden and tried to find info, eventually ending up here. From what I can read the Monk 42 and the MC42 is more or less the same boat? Both built in Taiwan by overseas company?
The Neptune 42 looks exactly the same and is also built by the same company from what I can find. (Some site says that the hull is made in Taiwan and then the interior was installed in U.K.)

Is there anyone who can confirm that all 3 vessels are the same boats and/or fill in with more details ??
Would really appreciate it!

Best regards
Simon

Hi guys!

(I hope someone still reads this even if it's long time ago.)

I'm looking at a Neptune 42 Classic in Sweden and tried to find info, eventually ending up here. From what I can read the Monk 42 and the MC42 is more or less the same boat? Both built in Taiwan by overseas company?
The Neptune 42 looks exactly the same and is also built by the same company from what I can find. (Some site says that the hull is made in Taiwan and then the interior was installed in U.K.)

Is there anyone who can confirm that all 3 vessels are the same boats and/or fill in with more details ??
Would really appreciate it!

Best regards
Simon
Simon, send me a PM with email and I will send all I have learned on MC 42

I agree. The pics demonstrate the confusion. They are all MC 42s
Hey Dave, I was most impressed when I looked over your boat at Joe Wheeler, Yes I was somewhat confused on her parentage, Happy Easter from the Ex Movin On Crew.

Hi Dave: May I join this conversation? I'm looking at "Monk 42 also https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/315986/monk-42-overseas-penetanguishene-ontario. I'm not a highly experience boater, and it's been about 25 years since I owned one. However, my wife and I plan to travel the Great Lake System and possibly the "Loop". Would you mind sharing what you can about any issues we might expect about this craft? We certainly don't want to buy into any headaches. Thanks much. Ross

Hello, Does anyone have fuel consumption data for these "Monk 42" boats?

Did anyone notice the Ricker 42 Classic for sale in Marathon FL? Broker says "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]FORGET ABOUT A GRAND BANKS, MONK, OCEAN ALEXANDER OR MARINE TRADER. THIS RICKER 42 CLASSIC IS BUILT BETTER, HAS NO EXTERIOR TEAK FOR LOW MAINTENANCE AND IS READY TO GO TODAY!"
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
2000 Ricker Classic Trawer Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The Mercedes diesel scars me away.
[/FONT]

Did anyone notice the Ricker 42 Classic for sale in Marathon FL? Broker says "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]FORGET ABOUT A GRAND BANKS, MONK, OCEAN ALEXANDER OR MARINE TRADER. THIS RICKER 42 CLASSIC IS BUILT BETTER, HAS NO EXTERIOR TEAK FOR LOW MAINTENANCE AND IS READY TO GO TODAY!"
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
2000 Ricker Classic Trawer Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The Mercedes diesel scars me away.
[/FONT]

Beautiful boat! The Mercedes diesel attracts me. It’s what I have now. Easy to work on and quiet.

Hello Dave
I have owned a MC42 for 13 years. We like the boat but there are a few defects I was wondering how you dealt with them. My Nielson Maxwell windlass is too far forward and so the chain piles up and jams the windlass, so I need a chain tender to knock down the pile. Have you experienced this also? I have 3/8 BBB chain and 66# bruce anchor. Warm Regards, Willy Dostal pescador260@yahoo.com and reeljoy260@yahoo.com
Willy, when I added another 90 feet of chain I began to have the chain pole slump over problem. 100 feet was no problem. 190 feet was too high of a narrow pole up the bow V.

Leaky Fwd Hatch in MC42

Well, I bought a 1986 Monk42 (MC42) trawler-style cruiser with twin Cummins 150's last year. And though it's in great condition, I've been busy improving it. I have a question for anyone who might have had the same issue. When I remove the canvas cover from the forward deck hatch, and it rains, water leaks slowly onto the v-berth mattress. Covered up again, the leak stops. The rubber seal around the inside rim seems fine, and the seals around the latches are intact. Will changing the seals do the job, or should I have the entire frame removed and re-sealed? Has anyone had a similar issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I bought a 1986 Monk42 (MC42) trawler-style cruiser with twin Cummins 150's last year. And though it's in great condition, I've been busy improving it. I have a question for anyone who might have had the same issue. When I remove the canvas cover from the forward deck hatch, and it rains, water leaks slowly onto the v-berth mattress. Covered up again, the leak stops. The rubber seal around the inside rim seems fine, and the seals around the latches are intact. Will changing the seals do the job, or should I have the entire frame removed and re-sealed? Has anyone had a similar issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think my hatch is a replacement, not sure. It will leak occasionally at the closure latch. Just a few drops. It is a Bomar and I do not have a cover.

Attachments

• Hatch.jpg
    Hatch.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 151
I had a similar problem with a trailer sailboat with molded hatch opening. The soft, hollow rubber gasket looked fine, and closed tightly, but in reality, it was installed onto the hatch lid a little too far inboard of the opening. The coaming was rounded, and the gasket was just a bit inboard of the rounded coaming center or high point, in some places.

Heavy rain would splash in the gutter and drops would bounce up and end up running along the inside of the space formed where the coaming met the gasket in a few spots, if that makes any sense.* There were a couple of places where it could sneak through, mainly at the lower corners (it was sloped slightly), and at a joint in the middle of one side.

I stripped out the gasket, replaced with new, but mounted it outboard of center. Still couldn't see it from the outside, but it eliminated the chance of water finding a channel to follow.

Oh, and upon close inspection, I figured it out from the dirt trail on the coaming from the leaks, and eventually realized how the water got in there and past the gasket. Worth a look in your case, at least.

*In cross-section, it looked like a dodge ball (the gasket) mashed on top of a bowling ball (the rounded coaming), but the dodge ball is off to the inside, leaving a small channel on the inboard side of the coaming to trap and direct water downhill to where it would sneak in at a joint or corner. Moving the gasket to the outside of center eliminated the channel.

I think my hatch is a replacement, not sure. It will leak occasionally at the closure latch. Just a few drops. It is a Bomar and I do not have a cover.
Thanks Dave. Your hatch looks the same as mine. I've removed the latches and found the seals seemingly intact. So, I don't think that's the problem in my case. Nevertheless, I'll check them out again to be sure.

I had a similar problem with a trailer sailboat with molded hatch opening. The soft, hollow rubber gasket looked fine, and closed tightly, but in reality, it was installed onto the hatch lid a little too far inboard of the opening. The coaming was rounded, and the gasket was just a bit inboard of the rounded coaming center or high point, in some places.

Heavy rain would splash in the gutter and drops would bounce up and end up running along the inside of the space formed where the coaming met the gasket in a few spots, if that makes any sense.* There were a couple of places where it could sneak through, mainly at the lower corners (it was sloped slightly), and at a joint in the middle of one side.

I stripped out the gasket, replaced with new, but mounted it outboard of center. Still couldn't see it from the outside, but it eliminated the chance of water finding a channel to follow.

Oh, and upon close inspection, I figured it out from the dirt trail on the coaming from the leaks, and eventually realized how the water got in there and past the gasket. Worth a look in your case, at least.

*In cross-section, it looked like a dodge ball (the gasket) mashed on top of a bowling ball (the rounded coaming), but the dodge ball is off to the inside, leaving a small channel on the inboard side of the coaming to trap and direct water downhill to where it would sneak in at a joint or corner. Moving the gasket to the outside of center eliminated the channel.
That could be the issue with my hatch. I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Beautiful boat! The Mercedes diesel attracts me. It’s what I have now. Easy to work on and quiet.

Is your engines a Mercedes MTU? From what I can tell, MTU is now owned by Rolls-Royce Holdings. Where are you sourcing parts?

Last edited:
Another boat from Miricale Marine Corporation

I have a Marine Trader 41 made by MMC. It looks identical to a Defever 42, inside and out. I have a manufacture’s brochure, I’ll see if I can’t post it in the coming days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom