Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Aransas Pass TX
Vessel Name: Moonshine
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
RE: Marine Trader Steering

Thanks Carl.

On to the new project. *Noisey transformer in the battery charger. *It's bolted to the blukhead in the bilge and acts as a sounding board. L O U D!It has a Guest 50A -4 bank battery charger that charges fine.*

Did some internet searches and the most logical one is to take the transformer out of the chassis and remove the thru bolts, warm it up (oven) and then dip the entire thing into shellac. They say as it cools it will pull the shellac into the windings. Leave it sit in a warm place for 2 or 3 days and then put it back together. Stay tuned. This is this weekends project.

Dang things of this caliber are to expensive to throw away without a repair attempt.

Cheers
Pappy Chris*

Pappy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Marine Trader Steering

The ALL brand new exhaust of the proper size. *I shopped everything and still invested $500 and 22 new hose clamps. *This issue is put to rest.

-- Edited by Pappy Chris on Thursday 1st of March 2012 08:28:19 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4. 002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	10393  

Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Block Island
Vessel Name: Galileo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Chris View Post
Feeling better now that I have had my hands on all of her systems myself. *One biggie left is the forward waste tank replacement. That will be March's project. *

Cheers

Pappy Chris
Hi Pap
I'm wondering how you are making-out on the waste tank removal .
have you started yet ?

... I'm making major improvements in that dept. on my '40
Bugmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Waste tank

Wellllllllllll
I have not yet. I got the tank empty and taped the lid shut on the head. Been working on a dozen or so other projects. I'm preparing for and weekend out for Memorial day.
I have been able to measure it and I am going to replace it with a similar size (or slightly larger) poly tank.
I found a couple of web sites (Plastic Mart and Tank Depot) that look like excellent resources.

I will update when I get to this project. Right now it is sanding and varnish.

Cheers
Pappy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugmon View Post
Hi Pap
I'm wondering how you are making-out on the waste tank removal .
have you started yet ?

... I'm making major improvements in that dept. on my '40
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Buzzy battery charger

The shellac seems to have quieted the transformer. I did determine that the capacitors were buzzing too. I obtained new caps at Granger for $15.
I've bench tested it and all looks good. I plan to re-install it this week.
It is a Guest 55A -4 bank battery charger. All is well!
Pappy Chris

Quote:
Thanks Carl.

On to the new project. *Noisey transformer in the battery charger. *It's bolted to the blukhead in the bilge and acts as a sounding board. L O U D!It has a Guest 50A -4 bank battery charger that charges fine.*

Did some internet searches and the most logical one is to take the transformer out of the chassis and remove the thru bolts, warm it up (oven) and then dip the entire thing into shellac. They say as it cools it will pull the shellac into the windings. Leave it sit in a warm place for 2 or 3 days and then put it back together. Stay tuned. This is this weekends project.

Dang things of this caliber are to expensive to throw away without a repair attempt.

Cheers
Pappy Chris*
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Wellllllllllll
I have not yet. I got the tank empty and taped the lid shut on the head. Been working on a dozen or so other projects. I'm preparing for and weekend out for Memorial day.
I have been able to measure it and I am going to replace it with a similar size (or slightly larger) poly tank.
I found a couple of web sites (Plastic Mart and Tank Depot) that look like excellent resources.

I will update when I get to this project. Right now it is sanding and varnish.

Cheers
Pappy Chris
Just wondering ... where is your aft waste tank located?
I only have a forward tank , and the run from the aft head is too far ( its over 12') . I'm trying to decide where to locate a new plastic tank for the aft head.
... I'm so glad to find another poor soul thats forging-forth on this project before I do.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

tank-age

My aft tank is to the starboard tucked in just behind the fuel tank. The hose runs to the forward end of the ER on that side. The PO(s) had mickey moused in a macerator and a Y valve. Strangely the macerator only pumped the front tank overboard. I am going to replumb this whole mess. For now my deck pump out only pumps the rear main tank.
Front is Out Of Order.
In the picture you can see a corner of it to the left upper of the picture.
Pappy Chris

Quote:
Just wondering ... where is your aft waste tank located?
I only have a forward tank , and the run from the aft head is too far ( its over 12') . I'm trying to decide where to locate a new plastic tank for the aft head.
... I'm so glad to find another poor soul thats forging-forth on this project before I do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4. 002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	10941  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
My aft tank is to the starboard tucked in just behind the fuel tank. The hose runs to the forward end of the ER on that side. The PO(s) had mickey moused in a macerator and a Y valve. Strangely the macerator only pumped the front tank overboard. I am going to replumb this whole mess. For now my deck pump out only pumps the rear main tank.
Front is Out Of Order.
In the picture you can see a corner of it to the left upper of the picture.
Pappy Chris
Hi Pap
Thats where I was thinking of installing mine - behind the starboard fuel tank . I'll keep the forward tank for now , maybe replace it 'down the road ... I found a leak in the hose coming from the bottom of it , and a bad crack in the vent hose and repaired both. It's tough to get that smell out of the bilge , but after reading Peg Hall's book I have a few ideas of how to get rid of it.
good luck on your project.

Bug
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Skunky

I used Clorox. Even bleached things white again.

Not a smell evident even after sitting closed a week. Now I put some down there for maintenance time to time.

Quote:
Hi Pap
Thats where I was thinking of installing mine - behind the starboard fuel tank . I'll keep the forward tank for now , maybe replace it 'down the road ... I found a leak in the hose coming from the bottom of it , and a bad crack in the vent hose and repaired both. It's tough to get that smell out of the bilge , but after reading Peg Hall's book I have a few ideas of how to get rid of it.
good luck on your project.

Bug
Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Next fiasco is the drain hose from the tub in the aft cabin. I took a shower last night and before I left today I check the pump in the shower water box. Not working. I picked up the hose that drains the tub into the box and it crumbled.... PMO!!!
I can see this will be some huge project for something as menial as a shower drain.
Grrrr

Pappy.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #31
Veteran Member

New Coupler

I built a new steering shaft coupler that clamps harder.
I have about 10 hours cruising and there are no problems evident.

Pappy Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 011.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	10942  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Is it just my vision , or is the shaft to the left of your coupling on the photo rusty ?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Yes it is. It is the original shaft. A (bad) section was cut out and the replaced by a new section a coupling at either end. What remains is solid.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Battery Charger Update -- I warmed the transformer in the over for about an hour on low heat. I then thoroughly saturated the windings and core with shellac. Re-installed the transformer into the case, hooked up the wires and put power to it. The transformer was substantially quieter. Quiet enough to now notice one of the capacitors was buzzy. It had 2 caps, 1- 6 Mfd and 1- 4 Mfd. So after a little search I found replacements at Grainger for $7.50 each. They went under the title of a motor starting capacitors. Same thing.
Today I got it re-installed back in the boat and I was satisfied with the results. Slight detectable hum can be heard in the cabin. I usually only have the charger on when I'm not there at the boat so no harm. Roughly $30, a little research saved and a little labor me a couple of hundred. Happy Day!

Pappy Chris
Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #35
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Some time ago at my place of work a maintenance Planner told his Leader that he got called out on the weekend. The Leader said "Oh? and why was that"? He said that there was an issue with a Transformer on a certain train. "What kinda issue" asked the Leader? Oh the planner said "the transformer was humming". The Leader accepted that.

Then on Monday morning the planner told his Leader that he had to come in again on the weekend. The Leader asked again, why? Again the Planner said there was a problem with the same Transformer as last weekend. "What was wrong this time and why are you getting called instead of the technicians"? asked the Leader. Well said Merv, "it was humming again and since I have lots of Transformer background knowledge they decided to call me again". The Leader again accepted it.

Then once again on the next Monday Merv told his Leader the same story. The Leader was now disturbed and asked "what in the world do you do to fixed it, and why aren't you fixing it permanently so that you don't get called out every weekend"? Well said the Planner, "I just teach it the words". It isn't my fault that the same guy keeps calling me out, he just don't understand that most transformers hum when there is a load on them and all I tell him is is I got it fixed and it shouldn't hum any more. Merv said that he guess when the new operator does his rounds he thinks there is a problem so he calls him to come in and Merv said that he didn't mind coming in.

Merv doesn't work there anymore.

Elwin
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Funny........
But, it was loud. It's now tolerable.

Thanks for the chuckle.