Marine Trader - Shoot through hull transducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdaminMN

Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40 Europa Sedan
Has anyone epoxied in a transducer to the inside of the hull on a Marine Trader? I've done it on smaller boats with good results, but those hulls were probably a lot thinner.

The boat is still on the hard for the winter, so I could put an actual through hull in, but there really isn't any place on the hull that is close to horizontal.

1979 Marine Trader Europa
"Knot so Fast"

Airmar has through hull mountings that don't require epoxy only a pool of glycerine (I think that's what they use?)
You can experiment w a temp set up. And the mounting accommodates varioys dead rise angles.

Also those mounted through the hull can accommodate angles as well.

yes Ive done it. you can make a dam out of clay inside the engine room on top of the hull, add water in dam and place transducer in water turn the unit on. just a way to check to see if it will work in your boat. if everything works use the epoxy . good luck

Transducer

Can't remember where I read it, I think here but anyway, I used a toilet wax ring. Just warm up the wax[in your hands] stick in bilge where you want transducer mounted, and stick transducer in the wax. Has worked very well for last 3 years. Only problem is not a very accurate water temp. reading.

I have done this several times. Use a piece of ABS sewer pipe, cut to the desired angle and epoxy it to the hull. Insert T-Ducer.
The temp reading is accurate. It just reflects the temp of the oil (I use Telus 10 hydraulic oil, just because I have lots) in which the T-Ducer sits. If you are moving through the water, the temp is very close to the outside water temp. If you are sitting still, it is influenced b the ER temp.
I get good depth readings to 600 ft from a very cheap Humminbird sounder and closer to 1000 from a better Garmin.

You can get or make up a block to mount the transducer horizontal thru hull.
But, not wanting another hole in the boat and with no transducer pocket,I set up a normally transom mounted transducer, they often come included with a fishfinder/sounder, in a section of plastic drainpipe cut at the bottom with an angle to produce a flat top surface which(RTF stop reading now) I filled it with silicone sealant:eek:. Using a small level I got the transducer sitting level.
It shoots through the solid 3/4-1" hull, takes a minute at start up finding the bottom, then it`s all good.

200w.gif

As far as I know fiberglass and water are basically the same for the transducer. Or they are close enough in density that it doesn't affect reading, but I like the wax ring idea to check.

why not just use an Airmat ducer that has its own dam (pink antifreeze is the liguid suggested) and is adjustable to 22 degrees (I think) dead rise?

tjey are inexpensive and can be moved if you just caulk it down instead of using epoxy or 5200.

Attachments

• GAX10327-B.jpg
    GAX10327-B.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
why not just use an Airmat ducer that has its own dam (pink antifreeze is the liguid suggested) and is adjustable to 22 degrees (I think) dead rise?

tjey are inexpensive and can be moved if you just caulk it down instead of using epoxy or 5200.

I know, right? All of the aforementioned methods (well most of them at least) work, but were devised as a method of shooting through the hull before the P79 transducer was marketed. Quick & easy plus they look professional & work great.

On my center console I bunched up some butyl rubber tape, and placed it between the xducer and the hull. Squished the xducer into it and it worked great. Did this at the beginning of last season and it worked out well all last season. This was meant to be a trial set up but I will probably just leave it that way.

I have installed several of these with no issue and 1 less hole

I have one of these on my Monk. P79 NMEA 0183 version hooked to my Garmin chartplotter. It works fine for depth work. There is also a NMEA 2000 version. Now if I were fishing, I would want more sensitivity of a standard thru-hull where the sonic element is outside the hull.
Uses pink water system antifreeze so if it leaks, no big mess.

Marine Trader/CHBs have solid glass hulls, at least below the waterline, so it works well, just as long as you avoid the centre part of the hull above the deep skeg/keel.

I have mounted several Lowrance sonars this way by just squishing them into a nice big blob of Sikaflex, and fixing in the vertical position somehow until the Sikaflex sets. Works perfectly. Less holes in hull for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom