Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: hyannis
Vessel Name: BAG END
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38 Sundeck
Question Marine Trader Aft water tank

I was looking for feedback on using the aft water tank on our Marine trader 36 1988.
The previous owner has it disconnected and only uses the bow water tank.
He says using the aft water tank puts the exhaust under water.
What do you think. Should I reconnect this tank?
Looking for experiences and I want the extra gallons of water.
Thank you
John
SirJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #2

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
By all means reconnect. I'd be suspicious of the prior owner motive for "disconnecting" for aft weight. I have 100 gallon tank sitting under the aft stateroom bed of my Golden Star 35 and when full it lowers the hull less than 2", not an alarming amount to my way of thinking. I'd fill the tank to confirm the fact there are no leaks in the tank. If you find the amount of reduction in freeboard or balance at the transom is unacceptable then the simple remedy is to empty the tank.
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. SJ. I agree with Mr. a. Fill it and see what you've got. IF you really want to use it AND there are no leaks a longer term solution would be to relocate heavier items forward, if possible.

I think I can safely say that the exhaust was above water level, even with that tank full, as it came from the factory. Like a lot of us, boats tend to "put on weight" as we age. Extra batteries, different generator, piles of "stuff" deemed absolutely necessary by owners etc. Might be time to assess exactly what "stuff" is where and whether it can be relocated or offloaded.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
Like others have experienced, my trawler Haven had developed a “squat” over the years, and, to further complicate things, it leaned slightly to port. I don’t think anyone besides me ever noticed…certainly there was no mention in the surveyor’s report 6 years ago. 2 years ago I placed all my bottled water stores in the space under the “A” berths at the bow. As I recall there were 10 cases of Poland Spring 12oz bottles residing there, (not to mention 225’ of 3/8” chain and a 35lb CQR) when I gave up trying to force proper trim. So, last year during lay-up I had the bottom soda blasted and after several weeks hired a guy to check the hull for moisture, which it, fortunately, had none.

Finally I did what I considered the only solve; re configuring the boot stripe from 1 wide stripe (2”) and 1 thin stripe (1/2”) to only 1 wide stripe, and, and raising the bottom paint line 1 ¼”. Obviously this expensive cure did nothing to resolve the trim situation, but, Haven does look a little better in the water.
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
If boat mechanicals and layout original doubt very much hull was designed and built in error. Sounds like leaky tank management plan.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Trenton
I'd check the exhaust hose before I'd fill the aft tank. The problem the PO was fixing may not have been a leaky tank. He may have been worried about something else entirely.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

City: Lanoka Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 1987 MT sundeck
I’m finding things out as I travel my first NJ TO FLA trip. My 36 sundeck has two 100 gallon tanks. One bow n one under bed. Preowner dedicated the whole tank for the master toilet! One hundred gallons to flush away. Anyways, I’ve filled the aft tank only to find out that my starboard exhaust pipe leaks from being submerged AND my starboard steering mechanisms also leaks water in from the weight of the full tank. Seeking a remedy to the leaking steering thing I’ve read that it could be “repaired” in the water because it’s supposed to beabove water.
WHAT VER!!!! I’m going to continue my trip without pulling the boat out for repairs simply because I’m burned out from preparing for this trip(two n half years). I’m going to just about deplete the tank except for maybe 20gallons or so to bring my exhausts back up out of the water. And deal with a short flush.
Just sayin ... there’s a lot more going on the Han I have time or money to remedy.
Donpollosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. D. IF you can temporarily stop both leaks by lightening that one tank,by all means do so. One less thing to worry about while underway. I agree, there's more going on than meets the eye.

As I mentioned in post #3, the solution, most probably, is to simply re-arrange heavy items to achieve your best trim. This shouldn't cost you anything other than, perhaps, a couple of days lugging "stuff" around.

Wait until you get her to FL and give yourself a bit of time to relax and assess the situation.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Put flappers on your exhaust extensions. As long as a point in your exhaust is 12-18" above your exhaust elbow you have nothing to worry about.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good morning and thank you for your reply.
We purchased our trawler this past August and getting her ready to go south from cape cod to florida next September.
I continued with the exploration of the aft water tank and heeded the advice of these threads. The line form the aft water tank runs to starboard and comes around the tub to the engine room.
I took the master starboard bureau apart to get clear access. I discovered the line had been patched with a garden hose and clamps.
I took the line out and guess what. The water from the aft tank just came pouring out. The tank was full from the previous owner but not plumbed into the water system because of the broken pipe.
That means we had a full aft tank and the whole submersion point of the exhaust was moot.
I am presently making a fresh water manifold in the engine room to select either the fore or aft tank and or both for the fresh water system.
I will post photos.
While back aft, I decided to inspect the rudder stuffing boxes. What a complete night mare. They had been leaking severely. I undertook the chaos of cleaning and repacking them both with new 1/4 flax. It took me over three weeks to service and free them both. Please reach out to me if you service yours.
I used wire brushes, sand paper, freeall lube, and aluminum wedges to break apart the stuffing box all without dropping the rudders. I am now a rudder packing expert on this boat!
I am adding an aft bilge pump for when under way.
Thank you for the reply and safe journey.
I would l ike to hear of your passage to florida
John
Old 11-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you. That is exactly what we are going to do as an added safety measure.
John
Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #12

I wonder if I can get to 6 and 1/2 knots if I empty my tanks ��
Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. D. "I wonder if I can get to 6 and 1/2 knots..." https://www.easycalculation.com/phys...calculator.php
Your 36' MT may have a waterline length of say, 32'. Theoretical hull speed should be in the 7.5 knot range. IF you cannot get better than 6.5 knots you have issues other than trim. Perhaps several...

With ALL due respect, what exactly did you do to the boat in your "two n half years" preparing for this trip? Any trial runs or short shakedown cruises?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #14

Thumbs up Two n a half....

Your questionnaires..... I’ve prepared the boat for “live-a-board” status. Including led projects, inverter, generator, enclosures, upgrades in plumbing
She’s in good shape when purchased.
A few short cruises, but nothing like the whole ICW.
WHEN I PURCHASED HER, in Clearwater fla, I hired a captain to bring her up to New Jersey. I learned quite a bit. She’s my first and only.