Marine Trader 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoboater

Vessel Name
In Disguise
Vessel Make
1985 Mainship 40 DC
I'm going to be looking at a Marine Trader 38...unfortunately, it's a 1972....anyone here know of any particular problems I should be looking at? I researched Marine Trader, and found out that they didn't build any boats, just imported them from various builders....and the only way to tell who built it is by the hull number, which I don't have. Also, the research basically said that post 1985 was good, pre-1985 not so good...Thoughts? Comments?

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. wyo. Welcome aboard. Survey, survey, survey. There are more than a few threads on older Taiwanese boats (if you can find them) listing "problems". The bottom line is: What shape is the vessel you're interested in in and will it suit your anticipated needs.
This is the EXACT time to be pragmatic, critical, non committal and NON emotional.
I think there's a "sticky" for beginners on boat buying 101 (somewhere on TF.)

Last edited:
I screwed up

Too many boats, too few brains...lol. The 1972 I'm looking at Sunday is a "Bristol", the Marine Trader 38 is 1985....sorry for my confusion.

Greetings,
Mr/Ms. wyo...Steady man, steady. My advice still holds.
GIF-Alec-Baldwin-approval-happy-ok-thumbs-up-you-got-it-GIF.gif

I agree, I wouldn't touch a boat without a reliable survey. Thanks

Please excuse my ignorance here...

The OP wants to buy an older boat. A survey should be performed by a qualified person. From what I've read, would you engage multiple surveyors for the task (older boat)? General boat condition, engine(s), sea trial; is this done by the same surveyor?

We've been shopping, online mostly, and like a lot of what we see. An older boat is less expensive to acquire, but surely more expensive to maintain. Are there different types of surveys that should be done for a boat that's 25 yrs old vs. a boat that 5 years old?

Back
Top Bottom