Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C
M.T. Aft Cabin Bed

Im looking for any ideas of how to get a larger bed in my 36' Marine Trader . Anybody changed theres around? All of a sudden the Admiral isnt happy about the bed stuffed in the corner. BB

belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: M.T. Aft Cabin Bed

Quote:
belizebill wrote:

Im looking for any ideas of how to get a larger bed in my 36' Marine Trader . Anybody changed theres around? All of a sudden the Admiral isnt happy about the bed stuffed in the corner. BB

Would it be cost effective to change out the Admiral? (just kidding)

Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

We wouldn't mind a double in the front stateroom - well it's the only stateroom, but has Vee berths at present. Anyone converted a vee into proper walk round (a bit anyway) double in a CHB 34 Sedan/Europa version...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
We wouldn't mind a double in the front stateroom - well it's the only stateroom, but has Vee berths at present. Anyone converted a vee into proper walk round (a bit anyway) double in a CHB 34 Sedan/Europa version...?
* I will follow this with interest I have a 34' MT single cabin and although I have good spring mattress its still a V berth* Thinking about having a filler made and sleeping beam to beam** will make getting to the drawers harder

I
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

BB,

I have a 34 ft MT DC with an existing 42 in wide*bed frame in the aft cabin on the starboard side where the head is.* That makes for a pretty cozy relationship with the admiral; so I have a plan to enlarge the bedframe width from 42 to to 54 inches with some narrowing of the bed as it*buts up against the wall of the head.* The type of memory foam mattress that I bought*will allow me to trim off a section of foam*to allow the door to swing open enough.* I figure being cozy at the head of the bed is OK as long as we have more space to spread out in the middle and foot of the bed.* I would like to have a queen size width but not possible in*my 34 MT DC.* The mattress*is a three layer*memory foam mattress designed for RVs that you can easily*trim to allow the door to the head to*swing open enough.* I guess in RVs it is common to have to custom fit a mattress.* I haven't actually executed the plan yet* but see no reason why this won't work fine.* The key is being able to shape the bed and frame*into what you want.* In my case the existing frame needed rebuilding anyways so this was sort of a no brainer.* In some*boats the frame is like a fine piece of furniture with drawers and storage cupboards under which makes things a bit more challenging.

Bob
bilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Guru

What do you plan on covering the foam with? Or do you jusy use a fitted sheet? My V berth is the one with storages and cupboards
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

I figure*building to the standard 54 in width (a double mattress is 54 inches), I should be able to use fitted sheets for a standard double matress*with some modification perhaps for that cut off corner by the head door.* If I can not get the admiral to make the modification, I guess there is always the work around called tuck it under.*The three layer mattress has the added feature of being able to*adjust the firmness and the thickness of the mattress by ordering the layers.* You see the layers (4 in,*3*in and 2 1/2*in = total of*9.5 in) have different foam characteristics.*** I attached a photo of the mattress which is kind of unique.[img]../../download.spark?ID=963661&aBID=115492[/img]
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5

I'd say switch to the Sundeck model, but I'd have to confess, I'm biased.

Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

Ben,

I tried bidding on a President 34 DC with the Sundeck design but didn't get it.* It's probably good that*I didn't because it had a pretty nasty leaking fuel tank in it that needed to be replaced.* I settled for the Marine Trader 34DC which the owner had paid to have the one bad fuel tank replaced.*** I do recall the*larger size of the aft cabin and it was pretty spacious.** On the plus side my Marine Trader DC has the steps and sliding hatch*leading to the aft deck which is kind of nice too.

Bob
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
motion30 wrote:
...* Thinking about....sleeping beam to beam** will make getting to the drawers harder
Yes. that would be a serious problem for me. Take a course in braille, that might help.

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Guru

Where did you buy the foam?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #12

On Overstock.com http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...6/product.html.* They make it for RV use probably because of the confined space in an RV which is much like the confined space in trawlers.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Thank you Ill check it out*
On Overstock.com http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...6/product.html.* They make it for RV use probably because of the confined space in an RV which is much like the confined space in trawlers.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Bilobob... I guess I am lucky in that the Admiral takes the port-side bunk in our MT34 DC . I think the only people that could consider the starboard bunk a "double" would be the little people that built the boat. (Is that an ethnic thing?)
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

When you do figure out how to redesign and rebuild it, Sams Club has 8, 10, and 12 inch memory foam mattresses in double, queen and king sizes.* They are super reasonable price wise, and can be easliy trimmed with a foam knife to any custom radius corners.* That was one*of our first upgrades and we love it.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook, Tx
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
When you do figure out how to redesign and rebuild it, Sams Club has 8, 10, and 12 inch memory foam mattresses in double, queen and king sizes.* They are super reasonable price wise, and can be easliy trimmed with a foam knife to any custom radius corners.* That was one*of our first upgrades and we love it.
When you say "foam knife" Where did you buy it?
Deidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidra View Post
When you say "foam knife" Where did you buy it?

We have used an electric carving knife to cut foam. Works pretty well though I don't think the blade's long enough to handle a 12" thick piece in one pass.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #18

City: New Bern, N.C.
Sam's club also has a 6" memory foam mattress. I just ordered one to give it a try, $160 including shipping. Since our bunks are half under the deck, we can't have too high a mattress. Current one is about 6 inches, but it's also 40 years old! Hope this new one works out.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Guru

City: Trenton
I have been kicking this idea around too. I have seen a centerline queen conversion in an article about a 42 GB aft cabin and I liked it. I also have seen an angled queen coming out from the corner. It may leave enough space for the head door.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post

We have used an electric carving knife to cut foam. .
Have you tried a -- """LASER"""

😏
Attached Images

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote