Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #21

City: Pompano beack
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 38ft. 1989 Marine Trader
I am looking for the owners manual it would anser a lot of questions. Need to know what switch does what ,where and how many bulge pumps maybe a pluming and wiring diagram.I going into this projet with a open mind seaking help.

Captain Fred Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FK. "I am looking for the owners manual..." HAH! For a MT? Good luck with that. Pretty well any Taiwanese vessel could have come from pretty well any yard with a few exceptions so, from what little I've seen, there doesn't appear to be too much commonality among "makes/brands".

You would be best served by tracing out your own systems and making diagrams.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
What RT said.

Another useful endeavor is to write down the make and model numbers of everything on your boat then go online and download the owner manuals and troubleshooting guides. Printing them out and placing in a binder along with your own plumbing and electrical diagrams will vault you into the top 1% of knowledgeable owners world wide.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #24

City: Redondo Beach
Unfortunate value at survey

I found a beautiful Marine Trader Europa 40. Made an offer, accepted and went to survey. They valued this beautiful boat at 37k. The owner had removed the teak decks painted the hull all topside will Awlgrip, new bow thruster, nice navigation system, Satellite tv, center console dingy. He had spent well over 50k. However the surveyor said the just aren't worth anything. Lots of leaks from the ports, ruined veneer, gaskets were petrified. Could not go through with the purchase. The were asking 80k acceptance at 65k surveyed at 37k the most I could insure it for. I did see brown juice oozing out of flybrige. Unfortunate, love the look of the boat.
fscott007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #25

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
I'm going to do some trawler shopping this year as I try to sell my Formosa 46 sailboat, and one of the boats of interest is a 43 Marine Trader, twin screw, trunk cabin. Other than yachtworld.com, I have never seen one of these beasties. There is one on the hard not too far from where I live in Norfolk, VA. . It looks pretty un-loved in the pictures. The home port on the transom suggests the boat might have spent some time in fresh water, but obviously home ports can be misleading. I thought I would use this boat as an opportunity to see all the warts that this model of trawler might have. American Diesel lives in this part of the world, so I could arrange with them to look at the Lehmans if I got interested in the boat, and I understand that I am no marine surveyor, either. But, based on your knowledge of the Marine Traders with their infamous leaking windows, what common Marine Trader faults should a common slob like me be looking for when I go see this boat. I have been a sailboat owner for several years, and do most of the work on my own boat. Here is the link to the Marine Trader listing:

Used 1983 Marine Trader 44 Tri Cabin, Virginia - 23005 - BoatTrader.com

I'm also curious as to the connection, if any, between "Marine Trader" and the "Marine Trawler Owners Association". Is this a good group for me to join?
Your Formosa 46 is kind of connected to the Marine Trader boats in the style of construction. I bought a 1982 MT 34 11 months ago. Been woking on it part time since. Some improvments -many repairs. it is heavy duty and fixable but the basic question is HOW WAS IT TREATED BY ALL THE PREVIOUS OWNERS?????????? By the way, how is American Marine going to check out the engines on a boat 'on the hard'? Garden hose and batteries in a pick up truck.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #26

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Your Formosa 46 is kind of connected to the Marine Trader boats in the style of construction...

This is a pretty old thread. I have owned the Marine Trader for several years now.
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #27

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
This is a pretty old thread. I have owned the Marine Trader for several years now.
OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Well how was it -is it??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #28
Guru

Nothing like that stops ole geoleo!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #29

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Well how was it -is it??
It's a lower end trawler with the usual warts, but it had low hours on the engines and it fit my budget so I call it home now. I spent the first few years doing improvements. Last year was the first year I took it on a cruise, and I hope to do more cruising this year.

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote