Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: Looking for info on Marine Trader

Baker is right on,

The ART is knowing when to STOP, what to live with .

The diseases of Better-itis" & "Best-itis" has stuck more folks in port forever than any crappy construction or lack of maint ever has.

It has also got lots of folks BROKE , in the process of "improving " everything.

1/4 and 1/2 finished tubs can be found in many marinas.

A crowbar is easier to wield than a cabinet saw.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Hey, cruising is just doing maintenance in better locales....right???

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"Hey, cruising is just doing maintenance in better locales....right???"

Depends on the complexity of the vessels systems , and soundness of the basic design.

Our ex Navy Launch ran the loop with only oil changes.

But it was a high buck, high engineered and built without regard to cost (4th version for the USN) vessel expected to operate 24/7. .

6000 miles maint free is hardly a challenge for a commercial / militarty built vessel.

But then were back to the choice , is it the trip or the vessels visuals that count?

FF
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #24
Guru

RE: UPDATE - Looking for info on Marine Trader

I made an offer last week and had a survey done on the boat. Still waiting for the final written report but I had a chance to talk with the surveyor yesterday. It looks like the major concern is with the teak decks (no surprise there). I was expecting this to be on top of the list but what I didn't expect was that the teak has been laid directly on plywood (and not over fiberglass). According to my surveyor, the underlying plywood*has pretty much disintegrated over the years. This means a major deck job if I am to remove the teak, put new plywood and glass over it.

Any thoughts or previous experience?
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #25
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Run away will Robinson.
Once the plywood gets wet it turns into saw dust over the years. What does the interior look like. If the bilge water is brown that is rotted wood Stains it like dark tea. The big problem is, how do you fasten new ply to what is left of the old stuff. Then there is all the glass work. Not cheep or easy. *Find another boat. lots of them out there. IMHO
SD**
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Fotoman----

I have mentioned in other discussions the fellow on our dock who put a fiberglass non-skid deck on his Island Gypsy the other year. The Island Gypsy's subdeck is (I assume) the same configuration as our Grand Banks--- a fiberglass-marine ply-fiberglass sandwich. He was not trying to repair a failed subdeck was but simply replacing a worn-out teak plank overlay. So "all" he had to do was remove the original planking and apply new fiberglass layers over the subdeck to restore deck stiffness, and apply the non-skid surface.

It was a huge job (he did it properly and the end result looks outstanding and is extremely strong). It took him a full summer and part of the next summer. He recently told me if he'd known how much work it was going to be and how much time it would take he never would have done it. But this was just to replace the planking. So take this effort and then add the effort to repair or replace the subdeck and I expect you're looking at a project that will take you many, many months of work (depending on how much time you can devote to it) or will cost you many, many thousands of dollars to have a yard to it for you. And it's the kind of job that, once you get going, will prevent you from using the boat until it's done.

If the teak planking on the boat you're considering was bad but the subdeck was okay and you REALLY liked the boat, perhaps the effort and/or expense of replacing the teak would be worthwhile. But given your description of bad teak AND a bad subdeck, given that this is a production and not a custom boat, there are more of them out there without this particular problem. The smart thing to do would seem to me to keep on looking.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Depends.

If you like major projects and have the time, get a price reduction that would pay for getting the job done in a yard. Then tackle it at your own pace, maybe the side decks this year, the foredeck next, etc, depending where it cries out the loudest, and use the boat. If you like the boat, you will have a great boat when you are finished, at a much reduced price.

If that is not who you are, run from that one.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Got to go with Koliver on this. It all depends on what your capable/up to.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I will go with skipperdude on this.....RUN....you couldn't pay me.....!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #30
Guru

Food for thoughts. It's a difficult decision for sure. The fact is I am looking for a fixer upper. I refitted a sailboat last year with great success. Redid the entire electrical system, the plumbing, the brightwork, etc. Sold the boat a few weeks ago and now in the market for a trawler that I want to use close to home as a small floating cottage.

I like working on boats and learning new things along the way. I will take a class on fiberglassing in February. But the thing is not to get into something that is too big for the time and the budget I have. I know the decks don't need to be done right away. It could wait a year or two. I could use the boat in the meantime while working on smaller projects.

I found a few pics on a similar project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deck-2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1600   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1601  
Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #31
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V

Lots of boats out there, why get one that has major issues lurking due to bad decks?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #32
FF
Guru

"Lots of boats out there, why get one that has major issues lurking due to bad decks?"

PRICE.

The skills to repair the deck are fairly easy to acquire , and the material cost is a few boat bucks.

So someone could easily get a bigger "better?" boat for no bucks and a bunch of work than demanding perfection from the start.

You get what you pay for , but ,....

A $25K boat and $5k of materials and a month of really UGH! work might get a similar boat to a $60K ready to run purchase.

Time or money , your choice.

FF
Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V

Other issues are rusted tank tops, saturation of the vertical wood alongside the decks, long lived mold, wiring corroded and on and on. It may be far more than*the decks. Of course some people like working on*long term projects - not me - I like to cruise and spend my time seeing the next turn and port.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #34
FF
Guru

"long lived mold,"

Vinegar NOT Clorox, all gone.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #35
Guru

Lots of boats out there, yes, maybe. But not many that I like and that are in my budget. I like the sedan look and feel. I feel trapped in a double cabin with limited access to the exterior. Plus, I like to swim and dive a lot so I need a stern that allows me quick and easy access to water.

When you look at the ads, there are a lot more DC than sedans. I've been looking at the market for the last 2-3 years and the sedans are few and far between. Then there is the location of the boat. I live in Montreal (Canada). So getting a boat in Florida or the Gulf coast is not really an option as the transportation costs would be too much.

FF is right about the price factor. All else being equal, this is the deciding factor.

I sent a counter offer to the broker today. We'll see how the owner reacts. For the right price I'll bite the bullet and tackle the job. If not, I'll pass and keep looking. I've learned a while ago that it was ok to fall in love with boating but not so much with a specific boat.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #36
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Fotoman..* good luck with the search, whichever way it turns.* You're right about not getting "in love" with one boat.. I speak from experience.* If I hadn't had the first*mate along on the first look at my boat, I'd likely have passed, but sometimes "love" means more than just luvin' the boat!*
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"I sent a counter offer to the broker today."

Hopefully the offer was not just verbal.

When you send a 10% check as a refundable deposit the BROKER has his commission in his hands !!!!, and will move hell to convince the owner to sell.

Works on real estate too.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #38
Guru

We have a contract and I did send a 10% deposit last week. And we communicate mostly by email so everything is in writing. I can sense the broker is eager to make the deal happen so it's all good.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #39
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Yo, Dude I fell in love with a boat myself.* Nuf said. I had to just about build a new boat. If you go to the PMM site and check out my profile you will see some of the work I had to do. Talk about repairing wood rot.* It has taken 5 years to get her close to completion. You said you were going to take a class on Fiberglass. You would probubly do better hiring a FG man and work with him for a couple of hours. You will learn just as much as any class would teach and have some work done ta boot.* It's not rocket science. Just a dirty job.
By the way, if you use it as you work on it.**Nothing ever gets done. But a least you*have water moving under her keel.*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #40
Guru

Thanks for the comment skipperdude. I went on the PMM site but could not see how to find a user's profile. Do you have a direct link?