Lien Hwa Sea Horse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris491

I have just acquired a 1982 Lien Hwa Sea Horse and wonder about her specs:* the length is given as 31 feet, but I wonder the specified LOA, LWL, draft, displacement and*that sort of thing.* She is fitted with a Lehman four-cylinder 2712E;* I'm curious about the specs on the prop and prop shaft as built (although I'm sure I'll soon have very intimate familiarity with them).* I am also curious about the original tankage capacities, both fuel and water.* Please let me know if you know.* Thanks

Hello Chris,

When I went looking for a Willard or Fales, I found myself looking at Taiwan sedan trawlers from Sausalito to Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho, and Seattle.*I have been aboard a number of these boats, and regardless of the name they are virtually identical. Some had the 4cyl & others (like mine) have the 6 cylinder 120HP Lehman.

Mine is registered as a North Passage Clipper 30. She was built at the Tung Hwa shipyard in Taiwan in 1981. If you look at the Yachtworkd listing for Ebberdene (Tung Hwa Clipper) you will see my boat's twin. If you'd like I can forward a Tung Hwa Clipper brochure.

I've put about 400 hours on Intrinsic over the last few years and I'm quite pleased with the performance, economy and performance of the *boat.

Jim
MV Intrinsic
Sidney

Jim:

Yep, that's exactly the same as my '82 Sea Horse--same galley and saloon arrangement, but a different forward cabin. Thanks for this. I'd love to see the brochure on the Clipper.

Chris

I thought it looked like a Clipper 30', I have its bigger brother, the 34, but I must say, the interior is rather nicer than the other 30s I've seen.

Peter:

I quite agree.* My yacht club owns a La Paz 33 that we use as a race-committee signal boat; it is a sedan-style trawler like my Sea Horse.* The saloon has the same components--galley, settee and dinette--but the arrangement in my Sea Horse is much nicer, and the saloon seems larger than on the La Paz.* And the quality of the finish seems better in the Sea Horse as well.* Yep, I stumbled upon a real gem here, I think.

Chris

-- Edited by Chris491 on Sunday 12th of December 2010 05:00:58 PM

The folks who owned Ebberdene modified the fwd cabin to a port side double. I'll try to post the brochure as well.

Jim

I believe it would be:
150 gallons fuel in two tanks
150 gallons water in two tanks
20 gallons holding
draft 3-6
disp 16,000
beam 11-6
Hope this helps, that was one heck of a deal you got her. Enjoy!

-- Edited by Daddyo on Sunday 12th of December 2010 07:18:51 PM

Jim:

Got them all! Thanks!! How I wish I'd had this two months ago:* we put an 18x16 prop on her and then tweaked it to 18x18 and it is still under-propped;* had I had the brochure back then, which says the original prop was a 20x16, I would have gone with that one.

I'm almost embarassed to say how little I paid for this old girl...

Chris

-- Edited by Chris491 on Sunday 12th of December 2010 11:36:07 PM

DaddyO:

Thanks for this. The original steel tanks of this old girl were at least 125 gallons each; I replaced them with 70-gallon aluminum tanks. I am still a bit dubious of the displacement: this boat is very light on her feet and could do with another quarter-ton of ballast, I think...

Chris

-- Edited by Chris491 on Sunday 12th of December 2010 11:37:55 PM

Chris never be embarrassed at getting a good deal. It does not happen very often does it...?

I agree - Don't be embarassed. She'll make you pay in the long run! I bought a creampuff and She still demands a lot of care and feeding.

Incidentally, I offered $25K for Sea Turtle in Idaho in 2007. With a little patience in a hot market, I would have gotten her for under $29. The one in Sausalito was worth $20 in my humble opinion because of the rot below the windows.

I believe that Intrinsic was a buy at $59K because of condition. Ebberdene was expensive at $89, but she was very nice, and think about the money the buyer will not have to spend. A 1991 Oceana 30 (same boat) on the east coast was priced at $120K 2 years ago.

They're every bit as good, quality wise as a GB32, with a better interior layout, and a dryer ride. The GB's of this vintage used to bring $100K a coule of years ago.

Anyway - my opinion for what it is worth.

Friends:

I'm just under a year with my VOLUNTEER and am pleased, pleased, pleased. With her single 80-HP, four-cylinder Lehman, I am still running on the original fill-up of Diesel fuel;* the trade-off, however, is that she is a seven-knot boat rather than an eight-knot boat.* I have yet to go offshore in her, but have spent hundreds of hours aboard under way and marina cruising;* we have also been the race-committee boat for several regattas here in Southern California.* All in all, I am very satisfied.* She is large enough to take guests aboard cruising and as many as ten aboard when running races, yet small enough for me to singlehand.* I have become particularly adept at backing into slips, in which I take inordinate pride.

She does have a few drawbacks.* With her tall superstructure--as tall as that on our yacht club's La Paz 33--and short waterline (27 feet), she has a snappy and uncomfortable pitch.* She also rolls a considerable amount, more than the La Paz, or the CHB 34 on which I cruised.

The solution arrived at on the yacht club's La Paz (arrived at before we bought her) was to put lead bars into the bilges.**I am looking at doing that, but I wonder if anyone else has had any experience with this, good or bad.* I plan to lay them right in the very bottom of the boat, over the keel and under the engine and holding tank;* I plan to block them from shifting around, of course.* Please chime in if you have anything to contribute, and thanks.

Chris Ericksen
Long Beach, California

-- Edited by Chris491 on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 01:54:37 PM

-- Edited by Chris491 on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 01:55:12 PM

Chris have you had a look at Erik's Clipper 30 restoration project he has been documenting on the
"The start of a nice project (clipper 30ft)" thread on the General Maintenance Board?
He might have some answers for you if you contact him, and what they have done with their (previously rather tired) Clipper 30, is amazing.

Sea Horse 31 - what to look out for

Hi All -

I'm a noob to the trawler world but have an extensive sailing background. I'm looking at a 31 Sea Horse and am hopefully trying to get some quick information on what to be careful of or look out for on these boats. I really appreciate anything someone can offer in the way of advice/expereince/information with this model. Are there any known issues in particular?

Also I am confused about the superstructure. I was under the impression that the Sea Horse was all glass but is it correct that the house is glass over wood? In addition this has the 120 Lehman which I believe is a good engine.

Anyone heard of these needing to be rewired?

Thanks All...!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr./Ms TD. I'm not familiar with the Sea Horse but if you search for problems with Taiwanese boats you will find "generic" problems which seem to afflict most of these vessels. Maintenance of any particular vessel will determine condition overall, not brand name or inherent defects. Leaky deck/windows, rotting fuel tanks and the like, if neglected, will give you no end of grief but if addressed should give you a boat you can enjoy.
Again, along the same lines, the Lehman is a good engine if MAINTAINED.
Jeepers, WHAT boat doesn't need the electrical system looked at?

RTF thanks for your quick response..! Lol...yup 10-4 on the electrical point. You're pretty right about that one! Water and electricity are not a healthy combination...

Hi All -

I'm a noob to the trawler world but have an extensive sailing background. I'm looking at a 31 Sea Horse and am hopefully trying to get some quick information on what to be careful of or look out for on these boats. I really appreciate anything someone can offer in the way of advice/expereince/information with this model. Are there any known issues in particular?

Also I am confused about the superstructure. I was under the impression that the Sea Horse was all glass but is it correct that the house is glass over wood? In addition this has the 120 Lehman which I believe is a good engine.

Thanks All...!

I have a 30 foot Tung Hwa Clipper which would be identical to the 31 Lien Hwa Seahorse and built at the same yard in Taiwan. Love the boat..... What is the year?

I would look closely at the Fuel Tanks for no major signs of deterioration. Keep a close look at the top of the tank for water running down the hose and settling on the tank. How are the decks? Have they been properly cared for over the years? The fly bridge is a concern, water will enter in various places, which will eventually cause a situation where the teak flooring will need to be replaced.

The Ford Lehman is a proven engine and will serve you well. Parts are easy to get from many different local shops and by phone to American Diesel. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Last edited:
I'm a noob to the trawler world but have an extensive sailing background. I'm looking at a 31 Sea Horse and am hopefully trying to get some quick information on what to be careful of or look out for on these boats.

Thanks All...!

I am fussy
It depends on the type of electrical panel
The late 70's early 80's Taiwan trawlers that I have seen were lacking in comparison to the us built boats at the time
My 1980 Chris craft wiring and main breaker panel is virtually identical to the standards used today on a new yacht (standard A or C series breakers)
Taiwan had great woodwork,but were behind on technology in the wiring in my opinion
The 30ft or so models that I have seen use fuses with toggle switches, graduating to a non-standard breaker with a toggle in later models

Usualy no extra breakers were provided to allow for all the electronics that todays owners need

The cheapest option is to put in a sub panel
I like working on electrical and if I ever purchased one of these boats I would start from scratch (use most of the existing wiring if in good shape) and install a new main ac/dc panel

Last edited:
I am fussy
It depends on the type of electrical panel
The late 70's early 80's Taiwan trawlers that I have seen were lacking in comparison to the us built boats at the time
My 1980 Chris craft wiring and main breaker panel is virtually identical to the standards used today on a new yacht (standard A or C series breakers)
Taiwan had great woodwork,but were behind on technology in the wiring in my opinion
The 30ft or so models that I have seen use fuses with toggle switches, graduating to a non-standard breaker with a toggle in later models

Usualy no extra breakers were provided to allow for all the electronics that todays owners need

The cheapest option is to put in a sub panel
I like working on electrical and if I ever purchased one of these boats I would start from scratch (use most of the existing wiring if in good shape) and install a new main ac/dc panel

I have an 83 Lien Hwa built trawler and my wiring uses breakers and does have extra for additional electronics. So it's going to depend on the year of the OP boat he is looking at.

I have a 30 foot Tung Hwa Clipper...
/QUOTE]
Fine looking boat, nice proportions. Always intrigued by your avatar: 2 nonchalant crew on the bow, boat to be about to be T-boned by something bigger.
Probably an optical delusion of these old eyes...

I have a 30 foot Tung Hwa Clipper...
/QUOTE]
Fine looking boat, nice proportions. Always intrigued by your avatar: 2 nonchalant crew on the bow, boat to be about to be T-boned by something bigger.
Probably an optical delusion of these old eyes...

Thanks Bruce. That boat is actually moored and there is a cigarette boat that I am passing, moored as well (L shaped dock). I am coming into the marina. It does look like it's about to crush me though. :)

Last edited:
I wanted to let everyone know that Chris491 listed his 1982 Lien Hwa Sea Horse for sale. Please pass along the info to those who may be interested. Thanks.

Attachments

• avalon close up.jpg
    avalon close up.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Img14317P1080389.jpg
    Img14317P1080389.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 392
  • Img14320P1080392.jpg
    Img14320P1080392.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 191
  • Img14322P1080394.jpg
    Img14322P1080394.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me for sure what boat I have?

OK -
Bill of sale said 1982 Marine Trader 32
Coast Guard documents say built by Tung Haw Industries (Hwa misspelled?)
HIN is LHC300560382

So it confuses me. Is it a Marine Trader? Is it a Lien Hwa? Is it both? Is it 32' or is it 30'? Measures about 30 waterline but about 34 overall.

Is it a Clipper? A Sea Horse? A Trader?

I sure cannot find much.

It looks a lot like Chris' Clipper.

Here is a pic.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
MTOA #4632

Attachments

• Trawler 012.jpg
    Trawler 012.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 557
Greetings-
Interesting forum subject. Prior to purchasing our Marben I looked at a Taiwan Sea Horse in Gig Harbor Washington. Great price as the offer I made to an absentee owner. It was accepted however I had included an acceptance inspection as a part of the deal. While the boat was under cover, the teak decks were bowed and would present leaking problems as they appeared to be the usual Taiwan construction of being screwed directly to the fiberglass deck. The fly bridge deck was similar in the warped appearance. When we opened the first section of the engine hatch, the second section inserts under the dinette bench, one looked directly down on a potentially very hot Lehman expansion tank through a very restricted square floor hatch. This was viewed from the perspective of having need to enter the engine area in 20 + knot wind and rough water to address what will happen when you don't want what happens to happen.
Short, We backed out of the deal and went with the Marben. What really brings the topic ot point is the inquiry of being light and requiring ballast. No doubt! With as much windage both the Marben and Seahorse have, the suggestion of lead ballast is valid. I made mention of this situation early on and finally settled on adding some 900# of lead ingots as Chris491 had been advised. It worked wonders! completely different boat. Had the boat a large volume of fuel tankage/Water tankage maybe not so much. With the limited amount of fuel/water capacity it is required.

Please as you read this, I have no qualms over the clippers/seahorse. With conditions of more or than the 150 inches of rain a year we have, leaking decks are very important to not deal with.
Regards,
Al

Last edited:
I almost bought an early Lien Hwa 28. It had leaked so bad around the rotted windows, it was going to be scrapped, but was donated to our local Wooden Boat club. They rebuilt the entire cabin, and replaced the decks, - many hundred of hours of volunteer labour. They did a really nice job; but in the end I didn't feel the boat would handle the waters I wanted to travel in.

OK -
Bill of sale said 1982 Marine Trader 32
Coast Guard documents say built by Tung Haw Industries (Hwa misspelled?)
HIN is LHC300560382

So it confuses me. Is it a Marine Trader? Is it a Lien Hwa? Is it both? Is it 32' or is it 30'? Measures about 30 waterline but about 34 overall.

Is it a Clipper? A Sea Horse? A Trader?

I sure cannot find much.

It looks a lot like Chris' Clipper.

Here is a pic.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
MTOA #4632

All of the above. The same molds were used in different yards. Lien Hwa, Tung Hwa, Fu Hwa etc. The boats were imported and sold in the USA under several different names as well. Sea Horse, Marine Trader, C&L, President, etc.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom