Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #21

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray-Cat View Post
I am fussy
It depends on the type of electrical panel
The late 70's early 80's Taiwan trawlers that I have seen were lacking in comparison to the us built boats at the time
My 1980 Chris craft wiring and main breaker panel is virtually identical to the standards used today on a new yacht (standard A or C series breakers)
Taiwan had great woodwork,but were behind on technology in the wiring in my opinion
The 30ft or so models that I have seen use fuses with toggle switches, graduating to a non-standard breaker with a toggle in later models

Usualy no extra breakers were provided to allow for all the electronics that todays owners need

The cheapest option is to put in a sub panel
I like working on electrical and if I ever purchased one of these boats I would start from scratch (use most of the existing wiring if in good shape) and install a new main ac/dc panel

I have an 83 Lien Hwa built trawler and my wiring uses breakers and does have extra for additional electronics. So it's going to depend on the year of the OP boat he is looking at.

Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
Guru

[QUOTE=Adelaide;112619]I have a 30 foot Tung Hwa Clipper...
/QUOTE]
Fine looking boat, nice proportions. Always intrigued by your avatar: 2 nonchalant crew on the bow, boat to be about to be T-boned by something bigger.
Probably an optical delusion of these old eyes...

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #23

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
[QUOTE=BruceK;112771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
I have a 30 foot Tung Hwa Clipper...
/QUOTE]
Fine looking boat, nice proportions. Always intrigued by your avatar: 2 nonchalant crew on the bow, boat to be about to be T-boned by something bigger.
Probably an optical delusion of these old eyes...

Thanks Bruce. That boat is actually moored and there is a cigarette boat that I am passing, moored as well (L shaped dock). I am coming into the marina. It does look like it's about to crush me though.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #24

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Second Passage
Vessel Model: Catalina Sloop (I have a few good sailing years left before I buy a trawler)
Lien Hwa Sea Horse

I wanted to let everyone know that Chris491 listed his 1982 Lien Hwa Sea Horse for sale. Please pass along the info to those who may be interested. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avalon close up.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	16085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img14317P1080389.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	16086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img14320P1080392.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	16087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img14322P1080394.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	16088  
Rob Webb Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #25

City: Keller, TX
Vessel Name: Meant-2-B
Vessel Model: 1982 Marine Trader 30'
Can anyone tell me for sure what boat I have?

OK -
Bill of sale said 1982 Marine Trader 32
Coast Guard documents say built by Tung Haw Industries (Hwa misspelled?)
HIN is LHC300560382

So it confuses me. Is it a Marine Trader? Is it a Lien Hwa? Is it both? Is it 32' or is it 30'? Measures about 30 waterline but about 34 overall.

Is it a Clipper? A Sea Horse? A Trader?

I sure cannot find much.

It looks a lot like Chris' Clipper.

Here is a pic.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
MTOA #4632
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trawler 012.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	24926  
rakoerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings-
Interesting forum subject. Prior to purchasing our Marben I looked at a Taiwan Sea Horse in Gig Harbor Washington. Great price as the offer I made to an absentee owner. It was accepted however I had included an acceptance inspection as a part of the deal. While the boat was under cover, the teak decks were bowed and would present leaking problems as they appeared to be the usual Taiwan construction of being screwed directly to the fiberglass deck. The fly bridge deck was similar in the warped appearance. When we opened the first section of the engine hatch, the second section inserts under the dinette bench, one looked directly down on a potentially very hot Lehman expansion tank through a very restricted square floor hatch. This was viewed from the perspective of having need to enter the engine area in 20 + knot wind and rough water to address what will happen when you don't want what happens to happen.
Short, We backed out of the deal and went with the Marben. What really brings the topic ot point is the inquiry of being light and requiring ballast. No doubt! With as much windage both the Marben and Seahorse have, the suggestion of lead ballast is valid. I made mention of this situation early on and finally settled on adding some 900# of lead ingots as Chris491 had been advised. It worked wonders! completely different boat. Had the boat a large volume of fuel tankage/Water tankage maybe not so much. With the limited amount of fuel/water capacity it is required.

Please as you read this, I have no qualms over the clippers/seahorse. With conditions of more or than the 150 inches of rain a year we have, leaking decks are very important to not deal with.
Regards,
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I almost bought an early Lien Hwa 28. It had leaked so bad around the rotted windows, it was going to be scrapped, but was donated to our local Wooden Boat club. They rebuilt the entire cabin, and replaced the decks, - many hundred of hours of volunteer labour. They did a really nice job; but in the end I didn't feel the boat would handle the waters I wanted to travel in.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #28

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Second Passage
Vessel Model: Catalina Sloop (I have a few good sailing years left before I buy a trawler)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakoerber View Post
OK -
Bill of sale said 1982 Marine Trader 32
Coast Guard documents say built by Tung Haw Industries (Hwa misspelled?)
HIN is LHC300560382

So it confuses me. Is it a Marine Trader? Is it a Lien Hwa? Is it both? Is it 32' or is it 30'? Measures about 30 waterline but about 34 overall.

Is it a Clipper? A Sea Horse? A Trader?

I sure cannot find much.

It looks a lot like Chris' Clipper.

Here is a pic.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
MTOA #4632
All of the above. The same molds were used in different yards. Lien Hwa, Tung Hwa, Fu Hwa etc. The boats were imported and sold in the USA under several different names as well. Sea Horse, Marine Trader, C&L, President, etc.

Rob

Rob Webb Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote