Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: Huldra
Vessel Model: No longer looking
kha Shing 46' VS Gulfstar 44'

Hello everybody.
We just came back from a week trip to Vancouver BC all over Washington and Portland
looking at 15 trawlers. More confused now then ever. Lots of JUNK out there.
Came down to 2. One 44' Gulfstar pilothouse widebody with Twin 135 Perkins and the other. 51' Kha Shing twin 375 Cat engines.
The Gulfstar had an engine room soooo bad that it was very difficult to trace or find anything and oil and dirt all over. The Water pump for the Galley and Head was strapped to a water bucket.lolololo All filters was soooo dirty you could not see through them. Build up all around the filters.Lots of oil leaks on one engine.
A electrical subpanel was hanging in the wires and not fasten down. NO GFI.
This give me a sign how the boat have been maintained.

The Kha Shing Looked pretty good except the entire outside was pealing paint off the fibreglass including the decks. Look like some Cheap paint had been used to refinish the outside. That don't concern me too much or less it is and underlying problem that I am not aware of. I am willing to refinish the outside properly. How ever what do concern me is that reading the survey from 2010 they mention the hull was a Balsam Core construction with Fibreglass overlay. For what I have read that could smell problems. Even with a Moister meter it is impossible to go everywhere with that meter. 1985 Pilothouse Trawler Kha Shing Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale -

Should I be concern for what you can see so far or continue looking ?????? Thank you in advance for all the good advice I will receive.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. G. Confusion and sensory overload are all part of the game especially since you looked at 15 boats. Were you able to take lots of pictures and make notes of what you did and didn't like about each vessel? The list should help you narrow down the choices to a point where you can look for a specific model or two.
Regarding the two vessels you mentioned in your post. Sounds to me neither is any sort of bargain (almost at ANY price). Your connection of ER condition (poor) and overall maintenance is THE valid point IMO. Walk from both.
Enjoy the chase. Some folks look for years to find THE boat. You'll know her when you see her. Patience grasshopper....
Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
The Kha Shing is looking good. Balsa core is as good as any other core. Fear of the unknown? All core hulls are fiberglass overlay. The hull should be light, that's all.
Get a previous survey to the hull. Is this boat presently in the water?

As RT says; you need to walk the walk and talk the talk...I did that exercize for 12 years until my decision was made. Even when I decided, I made a mistake before I found the final one!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

City: Olympia
There is a 51 foot Symbol with Cat 3208`s in Olympia. For sale by Capital city Yachts. You might look at that one.; It needs some detail work but in pretty good shape otherwise. We looked at it twice before deciding it was too big for us.. yes too big.... lol
cappy1.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Edmonds WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1.rm View Post
There is a 51 foot Symbol with Cat 3208`s in Olympia. For sale by Capital city Yachts. You might look at that one.; It needs some detail work but in pretty good shape otherwise. We looked at it twice before deciding it was too big for us.. yes too big.... lol

Hi Cappy
I can certainly understand your feeling it’s “too big”. We just bought a Symbol 45 loa 48ft. When we first flew from Seattle to Baltimore to survey her my first reaction on seeing her profile was
OMG she’s huge (we were coming from a Cutwater 30). She has two staterooms, two heads, a huge Salon and a big pilot house. On reflection I realized that premium space was very important to us in our home and that would be important to us in our next boat, as well as a major upgrade in quality.
So if you find what you want go for it. You’re worth it.
In a couple of weeks we’ll be cruising her south to Port Everglades, where she’ll be loaded on a boat-carrier ship headed for the west coast to be here in the Seattle area in time for our Salish Sea cruising season. The 1000 mile shakedown Cruise down the ICW being a wonderful bonus to our on water experiences this year.
BobnDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Kingwood, TX
Vessel Name: Our Happy Place
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Vista Sundeck Aft Cabin 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnDoc View Post
Hi Cappy
I can certainly understand your feeling it’s “too big”. We just bought a Symbol 45 loa 48ft. When we first flew from Seattle to Baltimore to survey her my first reaction on seeing her profile was
OMG she’s huge (we were coming from a Cutwater 30). She has two staterooms, two heads, a huge Salon and a big pilot house. On reflection I realized that premium space was very important to us in our home and that would be important to us in our next boat, as well as a major upgrade in quality.
So if you find what you want go for it. You’re worth it.
In a couple of weeks we’ll be cruising her south to Port Everglades, where she’ll be loaded on a boat-carrier ship headed for the west coast to be here in the Seattle area in time for our Salish Sea cruising season. The 1000 mile shakedown Cruise down the ICW being a wonderful bonus to our on water experiences this year.
We had a 32’ carver Montego. Yeah, this
Kia Shing Vista with full aft deck, miles of windows, flybridge only, twin Volvo Pentax’s, etc. oh my god! First time at helm was utterly terrifying. Went down Houston Ship Channel at all of 10 knots, taking about 3 hours from Clear Lake. Passed barges and ocean going monsters, so this thing being so much bigger than the Carver was reassuring. I am making plans on following the Battleship Texas as she is moved to dry dock later this year or early next year. It will be an adventure!
Ostriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
Revived from 2013!
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote