Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Kokopelli
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40
Just Bought a Marine Trader 40

Well, after 15 years as a sailor and 5 years living on a sailboat, I have finally moved to a trawler (yeah, ALL the guys in the marina have told me all the jokes......BUT I love the room and comfort )

Anyway, she needs some cosmetic work as she has been sort of neglected for a few years.

A 1978 Marine Trader 40 aft cabin.

So, what I really need is a handbook on this boat. Anyone know where/how I might get a hold of one?

Over the next few years I will go through every system and bring them up to speed (and also consider the best use of each)......and to solve some leak issues

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Tim

kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Congratulations! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are no such handbooks. You will quickly get your head wrapped around it. I would suggest that you find a fellow trawler owner and befriend him quickly.

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Congratulations on your new boat. We bought our Marine Trader 38 last April and we love it. I scoured the internet for info on these trawlers and didn't find much other than personal accounts on blogs. We liveaboard and plan to cruise full time next year. We think it's the perfect cruising boat.
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: somewhere
Congrats on your new purchase
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
Well, after 15 years as a sailor and 5 years living on a sailboat, I have finally moved to a trawler (yeah, ALL the guys in the marina have told me all the jokes......BUT I love the room and comfort )

Anyway, she needs some cosmetic work as she has been sort of neglected for a few years.

A 1978 Marine Trader 40 aft cabin.

So, what I really need is a handbook on this boat. Anyone know where/how I might get a hold of one?

Over the next few years I will go through every system and bring them up to speed (and also consider the best use of each)......and to solve some leak issues

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Tim
Congrats on your new MT. I bought my MT directly from the pirates in Tom's River and I can verify there never was an owner's manual. What they did was give me all the manuals for all the installed equipment on board (engine, stove, water heater, depth sounder). That's it. So what you really need is the manual for your engine (Ford Lehman?). The rest of the systems are Taiwanese copies that are pretty easy to understand (steering, propane, heads, fresh water, electrical). These are very simple boats that are fun, reliable and economical to run. This marks my 20th year of ownership and I still smile every time I see her. There is an owner association that has a ton of owner collected info about these boats (MTOA). You might consider joining and/or meeting up with them.

We need pictures! Any clown could come on here and claim that they had a Marine Trader. We need proof!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Kokopelli
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40
Well, no handbooks! Not a big surprise....but would have been nice

Attached is a photo...I may be a clown, but I am a clown with a Marine Trader!

I suppose my big issue (at this point) is down in the engine room...recall i come from a "simple" sailboat.....there seems to be SO much down there and so many hoses, connections, 6 thru-hulls, and I do not seem to be able to follow all my hoses, tubes, cords to their end points.

So, anyone have a schematic type idea of where it all connects and goes down there?

I am not going to do thiese things today....but as I look into the projects this next year......knowing what is going on in the below decks will help

thanks for the encouragment guys.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00755.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	16116  
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:

I suppose my big issue (at this point) is down in the engine room...recall i come from a "simple" sailboat.....there seems to be SO much down there and so many hoses, connections, 6 thru-hulls, and I do not seem to be able to follow all my hoses, tubes, cords to their end points.

So, anyone have a schematic type idea of where it all connects and goes down there?

I am not going to do thiese things today....but as I look into the projects this next year......knowing what is going on in the below decks will help

Tim
Tim,

Great picture! Great looking boat!

I also came from sail but my family background was diesel mechanics so I have a leg up on engine knowledge. The first thing I would suggest is to identify all the thru hulls and check their attached hoses. Some of my hoses looked to be original and hand made in Taiwan (the other China). I replaced all the hoses as soon as I got her. I also placed a wooden tapered dowel tied to each seacock. The first winter on hard I lubed and worked all the seacocks. I also had to replace the entire waste system. Then I started on the window leaks.

Internal fit and finish depends on which family in Taiwan built your boat. Internal systems too. Each boat is different and it's up to you to make it yours. You'll find you're most important tools are a pair of knee protectors and a powerful flashlight. Yoga is good too. You will be crawling into spots you never thought possible. Just hope you can find your way out. The next morning is always bad. Bring aspirin. After a while you never come out of the engine room. Welcome to trawlers.

Al
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. kT. Welcome aboard and congrats. As far as I know, no schematics either. Even if there were diagrams etc. it doesn't necessarily follow that they would correspond to YOUR boat. I expect you'll be spending some time, and it's QUALITY time I might add, familiarizing yourself with your new mistress. Trust me, it's all good.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Welcome to the madness. I recommend starting a couple of systems drawings. I'm too cheap to use expensive software to make drawings and my brain is too old to remember stuff that seems blindingly obvious today. So I make simple schematics using something called "dia" and occasionally remember to update them as I make changes. And I put in notes like "if I ever add solar, connect it here" so that my brain doesn't have to figure it out again down the road. For the boat I have a fuel system diagram as well as AC & DC electrical drawings. I also have a port and stbd profile with all the thru-hulls marked on it. Whenever we are leaving the boat for any length of time I print one of those and mark off the thru-hulls as I close them. Then I leave it lying on the table as a reminder as I open them up when we return.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:

Tim

I want one.....but no teak.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I want one.....but no teak.

While we were moored at the importer's dock in Toms River, they had a brand new MT just of the boat from China. It had absolutely no teak outside - anywhere.

It looked like a bloated Clorox bottle. These are surprisingly unattractive boats without their teak. You would be better off with an American boat like a Willard or a Hatteras.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post

While we were moored at the importer's dock in Toms River, they had a brand new MT just of the boat from China. It had absolutely no teak outside - anywhere.

It looked like a bloated Clorox bottle. These are surprisingly unattractive boats without their teak. You would be better off with an American boat like a Willard or a Hatteras.
I saw a Hyatt listed, it had no teak & I really liked that mono-clean look
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:

Tim
Tim, Anyone can walk down the dock and take a picture of someone's MT. We need interior pictures! Lots of them!!

If you post some engine room shots,or better yet...videos... maybe we can play the "Guess What This Is" game. You're sure to be entertained and informed by the masses.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I saw a Hyatt listed, it had no teak & I really liked that mono-clean look
I did see that and I liked it!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Congrats on the new used MT, Tim, and welcome. We hope to hear more of it as things progress. I was also a sailboat guy (for 17 years) and lived on it (with my wife, cruising) for 5 years, so know where you are coming from. I just sold the sailboat in late 2012 and bought a used Gulfstar 36, which I absolutely love. Like you, I also found a lot more complexity than I had had on the sailboat (Allied Mistress), but am slowly beginning to work my way through it. One thing you will find with a boat that old is that most likely there have been a lot of "enhancements" by previous owners, and so a user manual would not necessarily be all that useful anyway. You will find that red wires are not always hot, black wires are sometimes hot, and many wires go nowhere at all and do nothing at all. :-) Ditto with hoses. But it is fun getting to know the boat, and the basics have not changed. There are still seacocks, bilge pumps, hose clamps, and wiring, so you just have to get them all located.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Also ex sailboater, lived aboard for six years and cruised about half of that time. Bought our current boat, 1986 Present 38, last May and have been making improvements ever since.

I think Taiwan feet must be a lot smaller than ours. The steps down into the salon and into the galley are very small. Been working on making the steps bigger to match our large western feet. Just one of many details.

Just recently crawled out from under the console on the flybridge with enough spare wire and cable to rewire our previous sailboat. Seems none of the POs ever removed any wire or cable when installing or replacing something.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
BobH wrote:

"Just recently crawled out from under the console on the flybridge with enough spare wire and cable to rewire our previous sailboat. Seems none of the POs ever removed any wire or cable when installing or replacing something."

Yeah, I have found that also. Kind of frustrating. When I bought the boat from the previous owner (Doug Cole, also on this forum) he remarked that a project he never got around to was removing all the dead wires! :-)

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That was a gift from Doug! With copper prices so high, that old wire returns a king's ransom at the recycling centers.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #19

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That was a gift from Doug! With copper prices so high, that old wire returns a king's ransom at the recycling centers.

Right Al,

Better hope all those metal thieves that are stealing live wires out of businesses, schools, churches and bronze plaques don't discover the goldmine of bronze on your boat....
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Or shorepower cords...

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote