Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #41

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
leak problems?

Mine is called a C&L Puget and there does not seem to be many by that name but it is a taiwanese hull 1977 and my research has indicated it was a member of that family of trawlers to which MT belonged also. this is my 4th year and leaks from the upper deck have been driving me nuts to the point where this year I decided to fix it once and for all!! I determined that the teak deck was only part of the problem. The main problem was the flying bridge where it is mounted to the upper deck. There is a board that runs around the front and along the arms of the bridge that I think has been letting water in since it was built. It had been recaulked many times over the years but unsucessfully. I had water around my windows too...it came from the top deck, not the window frame. I suggest you crawl right inside the bridge cavity during a heavy rain and look for leaks. Most trawlers from that era were built similarly and I suspect most leaks originate here and until that is fixed you wont stop water coming in. Its all fixable and must be done if the boat is to last another 35 years.

Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #42

City: Treasure Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Carina
Vessel Model: MT38
[I determined that the teak deck was only part of the problem. The main problem was the flying bridge where it is mounted to the upper deck. There is a board that runs around the front and along the arms of the bridge that I think has been letting water in since it was built. ]

Just finished removing the wood brow, epoxied with West system epoxy, faired, painted, and no more leaks! Quite a job, but worth it.
New headliner was next.
Have pictures if you are interested.
Cheers,
Capt Tom
MT38 Carina
Treasure Island, Fl

capttom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Land O Lakes
Vessel Name: Polaris
Vessel Model: 1984 43' Marine Trader La Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttom09 View Post
[I determined that the teak deck was only part of the problem. The main problem was the flying bridge where it is mounted to the upper deck. There is a board that runs around the front and along the arms of the bridge that I think has been letting water in since it was built. ]

Just finished removing the wood brow, epoxied with West system epoxy, faired, painted, and no more leaks! Quite a job, but worth it.
New headliner was next.
Have pictures if you are interested.
Cheers,
Capt Tom
MT38 Carina
Treasure Island, Fl
Hey there Capt Tom. I'm about an hour away in North Tampa. I'm chasing one last small leak that trickles down the galley dinette wall when there is a heavy rain. There are outside drain holes in that trim "brow" that runs aft above the galley windows. I have unplugged it several times (chunks of rotted wood) and crawled inside the flybridge locker to try and vacumn debris (not easy for a 6' tall person, haha). Would like to see or exchange pics. Not sure I wiuld tackle that job, but might have it done by our yard.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #44

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
the water found at my galley window and other places originated in the interior of the Fbridge through that brow board and then pooled inside until it reached a hole where wires traversed down to the main cabin. other holes allowed the water to travel. I experienced the same thing when i worked in the rv industry. the leak is at one end but the water may not show up at that spot but yards away from there doing damage all along the way.
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #45

City: Treasure Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Carina
Vessel Model: MT38
Don't know how to attach pics to a posted message, but send me your e-mail and I'll forward pics to you.
Cheers, Capt Tom
capttom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #46
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangler View Post
the water found at my galley window and other places originated in the interior of the Fbridge through that brow board and then pooled inside until it reached a hole where wires traversed down to the main cabin. other holes allowed the water to travel. I experienced the same thing when i worked in the rv industry. the leak is at one end but the water may not show up at that spot but yards away from there doing damage all along the way.
I just replaced a chunk of wood in my cabin, coating around the window liberally with silicone. A better plan in the future will be to yank the whole wall, but it's clean and dry now until I replace the windows probably next year. Good luck with your water. I know I'm learning a lot fixing my walls.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42
Tim, Which marina are you in? We are coming to new bern Wed-Fri (by land) staying at the doubletree, looking for winterhavens for next year for the boat. If we see you we'll give you a shout.
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #48
Guru

The leaking "eyebrow"molding is definitely not restricted to MTs.
Imagine your boat lying head to 30 mph wind in driving rain, where does the water go after it enters via the defect? A long way, causing rot every inch.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #49
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
Tim, Which marina are you in? We are coming to new bern Wed-Fri (by land) staying at the doubletree, looking for winterhavens for next year for the boat. If we see you we'll give you a shout.
Are you looking in the Neuse? Wet or dry? If wet New Bern Grand is very good due to its proximity to the town. New Bern is very pleasant. If you want further down river, closer to other sites, Pecan Grove is modern and well-protected. We really like Whittaker Pointe because it's a great facility, and the dockmaster Ashley is top notch, but the protection from the south westerlies is minimal.

Good luck!

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Are you looking in the Neuse? Wet or dry? If wet New Bern Grand is very good due to its proximity to the town. New Bern is very pleasant. If you want further down river, closer to other sites, Pecan Grove is modern and well-protected. We really like Whittaker Pointe because it's a great facility, and the dockmaster Ashley is top notch, but the protection from the south westerlies is minimal.

Good luck!
We are planning to spend Nov and Dec in the New Bern area and cruise to SC/Ga area for Jan-March. Hubby is retired airline so we can fly in and out for long weekends etc since I am still working. We winterized in the slip this year and it was a pain, the thought of winter getaway whenever we want seems like a better plan. Last winter we were in Manteo and it was a nice mild winter but more south is better.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #51
Ben
Guru

Quote:

We are planning to spend Nov and Dec in the New Bern area and cruise to SC/Ga area for Jan-March. Hubby is retired airline so we can fly in and out for long weekends etc since I am still working. We winterized in the slip this year and it was a pain, the thought of winter getaway whenever we want seems like a better plan. Last winter we were in Manteo and it was a nice mild winter but more south is better.
New Bern is good. Fresh water. Hardware store you can walk to. About 10 good restaurants you can walk to. Floating docks at the marina.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
New Bern is good. Fresh water. Hardware store you can walk to. About 10 good restaurants you can walk to. Floating docks at the marina.
We loved it! Liked the downtown location. Went to Oriental for lunch.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #53
Ben
Guru

Quote:
We loved it! Liked the downtown location. Went to Oriental for lunch.
Lots of good food places (something like 10 in walking distance) in New Bern and a few ( 3 or 4) good ones in Oriental. You'll enjoy. Very relaxing areas both of them.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #54

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Hi I am a new member here and own a 1984 43' Marine Trader LaBelle. Like you it was my first trawler but have owned for three years now. The best way to learn about your boat is to explore it. I started in the engine room. I have Volvo TAMD40B's. You can get free online service manual if you search. I started by cleaning the bilges, first the engine room, then wherever else I had access. There were years of accumulated tie wraps, hose clamps, and other debris. I then manually tested each bilge pump (3) location. Replaced several and cut and recrimped wiring so all functioned perfectly. Checked all hoses and belts and hose clamps on the engines and on any thru hull fittings. Opened and closed all thru hull valves to make sure they functioned properly. Two were frozen open, badly corroded and were replaced. My boat has two large stainless steel fresh water tanks. Each has a good sized access port. Open and inspect yours! You will be surprised what might be growing in there. I drained both of mine, manually scrubbed them with detergent and bleach combo (there was greenish brown slime floating in both). I then refilled the tanks with fresh water and added bleach to sanitize the tanks and all lines. Engines had low hours and started/ran fine. I change oil, filter and air filter every season. The boat came with Racors with sight bowls and fuel looked clean, some dark particles, probably algea, but not too bad. Added algaecide and fuel conditioner and ran down old fuel before refilling tanks. Changed Racor filters at end of first season and they have stayed clean since. Your fresh water lines are likely to be the old grey colored plastic that are no longer readily available. Save any lengths you remove (and also any fittings) to reuse for repairs to other sections. I replaced my water heater with a ten gallon residential style at a fraction of the cost of a marine grade water heater. It will probably last as long as I will (I'm 70). The previous owner had installed an ElectroSan direct discharge head in the master bath (lucky me) but the foreward head was a rusted mess so I tore it out an replaced it with a porta potty that so far has never been used. I had numerous small water leaks around widows, portholes, and hatches. New seals and caulking took care of that. I have had three very enjoyable seasons with no major problems until Mrs Captain was at the helm and snagged a large very heavy lobster trap and bent the port shaft. This opened Pandora's box. All the Cutlass bearings were worn, the shafts were worn and the drive saver couplers were in bad shape. So my first expensive repair is now under way. We live aboard for weeks at a time, mostly in a full service marina so we have a full size 110v Refig/freezer combo in the galley. I tore out a shabby looking propane stove/oven and removed the propane tank too. I don't like propane on a boat. We use the microwave, electric skillet, crock pot and barbeque grill for cooking. So thats it for starters. I have emptied and cleaned every compartment, nook and cranny. We have a walk around queen bed in MBR and I use a small humidifier to eliminate condensation and mildew. The boat rides very smoothly. A fine entry, and hard chines combine for a smooth ride and very little roll. The electrical system has not been a problem so far but I have spent a lot of time tripping switches and breakers to be sure of what they turn on and off. If you haven't already bought insurance, you will likely have to get an insurance survey, and it will point out things that need attention. My list was rather long but easily handled myself. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
I'm a new member and it is almost as if I wrote the passage above. I bought a new to me 40 foot 1985 MT Labelle Sundeck 3 years ago and am only now slowing down with the refits.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #55

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
There is a Marine Trader 40 Europa style trawler for sale in my local marina. Looks to be in decent shape. Has a single Ford Lehman. I'm thinking of going to look at it this weekend with my wife. This would be a major step up in size for me as the largest boat I've owned was a 27' Chris Craft Constellation mahogany boat I restored 20 years ago. I think I have a handle on what to look for though any tips would be nice if you have them. I'm sure if we progress and actually consider buying a survey will be needed. Can anyone give me a ballpark number for what insurance on a boat of this size runs? Just want to get a few ducks in a row first. I probably ought to consider selling off some of my fleet first LOL. They are asking $34K for it, how does that sound? Thanks.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #56

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
If the asking is $34K for a 40 footer it must be a fixer upper. Insurance will be around $1K per year. The problem with an old boat is you can put another $30k in fixing it up and at the end of the day you got a $60K boat or worse a $45K boat. Good luck and take your time and reflect before you buy. Its a big deal.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #57

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Agreed, sounds too good to be true.

Take a flashlight and look at the tops of the fuel tanks for rust.

Crawl around the decks, and gently push on the sides of the house right above the decks. My expectation is that it will be soft, and if you rap on it with your knuckles it will return a dull thud, not a solid one. This means the core underneath is rotted.

Do the same thing under the windows.

If you're willing to spend three or four years re-coring, and have a place to work on it that's covered, and you can pick it up for $20K, you could come out even. If you're going to pay someone else to do the work, a better price would be $10K... unless it's so bad that the main stringers are rotted, in which case it's worth the salvage price of the engines, no more.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #58

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I know it sounds too low, but we are in kind of a back water and the owner seems to be in distress and needs to sell. I'll definately be looking for soft spots after reading your post and some of the others on this site. All the help I can get on things to look for are helpfull Thanks.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Land O Lakes
Vessel Name: Polaris
Vessel Model: 1984 43' Marine Trader La Belle
Ford Lehmans are tough reliable diesels that are relatively inexpensive to rebuild compared to other makes. MT's usually have good solid hulls. Big roomy boats for the money. Water leaks are almost always an issue. Start with the headliners. Mine were clean and dry, no water stains. That would be a very good sign if true for your boat. Next look at all the interior wood, especially around and below windows. The thin mahogeny or teak veneers rot out very quickly and or buckle if there are leaks. Also look at the floors for water stains (dark colored or faded areas. You can assume that there is moisture in the various decks with almost any older boat, but decks have enough glass to hold up for almost forever. There may be some soft spots. Porthole window have seals that become brittle and eventually leak. The seals are fairly easy to pick out with a sharp pointed tool. I replaced mine by buying rolls of seal material that had adhesive backing on one side and then just crammed into place with a screen roller tool. I have gradually replaced a lot of connectors for lights, bilge pumps (replaced all the pumps) and you should check them manually. A survey will scare you but will also show you just how much you will have to do. Some things can be put off to the future but all safety related will rquire immediate attention. You may as well get a survey before you buy because Insurance Companies will require one anyway if you buy it and then apply for insurance. Expect lots of stuff to be done, and its much better if you can do some or most of it. I have enjoyed working on mine but it has taken a lot of time.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #60
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I agree, the price does sound too goo to be true. Even a 30 YR old vessel of that type and size here in Oz would be $150k +/- a bit, if in good condition. However, if it is basically sound all round, and it is the personal circumstances that are affecting the price - ie need a quick sale, and unlikely where it is, then it sounds an exceptional buy.