Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post

I did see that and I liked it!
Do you have any pics of that new marine trader?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #22

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Patriot
Vessel Model: '76 Marine Trader 40
Also Just Bought a MT-40

I bought a Marine Trader 40' in January - needs lots of wood work. I found this thread because I had the same question - and see from everyone's posts that there is no owners manual. So, I propose that we collaboratively create one on Google Docs over the next few months - anyone in?

FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Welcome, FlyNavy. Tell us more about your boat and where you are near Annapolis. Annapolis is one of the great cruising towns, and of course the Bay is some of the best cruising. You are in for a great time.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
I suppose my big issue (at this point) is down in the engine room...recall i come from a "simple" sailboat.....there seems to be SO much down there and so many hoses, connections, 6 thru-hulls, and I do not seem to be able to follow all my hoses, tubes, cords to their end points.

Tim - where in New Bern is that? It doesn't look like the NB Grand, is it Bridgeton?

We hired a captain when we first bought our boat, and he spent easily an hour pointing out stuff in the engine room. Then we spent a few hours doodling around the river learning how to operate the boat. Maybe you don't need a capt, but a local marine mechanic will probaby do the same.

Or walk down the dock and start asking questions! Boaters really are the friendliest people!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Congrats! I always felt the 40 was one of MT's better hull designs. One tip is as your figuring out the hoses mark them with permanent markers including flow direction. Same for wiring.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
I bought a Marine Trader 40' in January - needs lots of wood work. I found this thread because I had the same question - and see from everyone's posts that there is no owners manual. So, I propose that we collaboratively create one on Google Docs over the next few months - anyone in?
We're happy to help in any way, but like others have said on this thread, MT aren't all the same.

We bought a 38 Marine Trader Double Cabin last April and haven't seen another one like it. Many MT's we've seen are galley up floor design and have single or twin Lehmans. We're galley down and have twin Cummins. Like others have said, we spent a lot of time tracking down all the thru hulls, tying a wooden plug to each (and we sure do have a lot of thru hulls!!!), checking hoses, and the crazy electrical.

We've just completed refinishing the exterior wood (not the decks as they were already removed) and are now in leak prevention mode (rebedding stansions,etc) as I guess MT's are known for leak issues.

Again, congrats on your new boat!
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: Spanish Moon
Vessel Model: Roughwater 44' Pilot House
Congratulations Tim,
I recently bought a 44' trawler, not a MT but I was faced with a lot of the same issues that you will be. when replacing the hoses on the thru hulls for the engine intake, salt water washdown, air conditioning, and aft head I put 90 degree elbows on the thru hulls to eliminate excessive kinking in the hoses. You might also check to see if the thru hulls are grounded to the engine, or some common ground plane (mine were not) and I ended up running grounding wires to each of them. Check the filters, My AC pump filter was full of barnacles the bottom of the filter basket completely detached when I pulled it out, and I had to use a diluted muratic acid solution to get the barnacles out of the casing. after that I filled a 5 gallon bucket with CLR and pumped it through the ac coils to flush them out.
Good luck with the MT and be prepared for everything you do to cost more and, take longer, and reveal new issues that need attention.
Soundwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Land O Lakes
Vessel Name: Polaris
Vessel Model: 1984 43' Marine Trader La Belle
Hi I am a new member here and own a 1984 43' Marine Trader LaBelle. Like you it was my first trawler but have owned for three years now. The best way to learn about your boat is to explore it. I started in the engine room. I have Volvo TAMD40B's. You can get free online service manual if you search. I started by cleaning the bilges, first the engine room, then wherever else I had access. There were years of accumulated tie wraps, hose clamps, and other debris. I then manually tested each bilge pump (3) location. Replaced several and cut and recrimped wiring so all functioned perfectly. Checked all hoses and belts and hose clamps on the engines and on any thru hull fittings. Opened and closed all thru hull valves to make sure they functioned properly. Two were frozen open, badly corroded and were replaced. My boat has two large stainless steel fresh water tanks. Each has a good sized access port. Open and inspect yours! You will be surprised what might be growing in there. I drained both of mine, manually scrubbed them with detergent and bleach combo (there was greenish brown slime floating in both). I then refilled the tanks with fresh water and added bleach to sanitize the tanks and all lines. Engines had low hours and started/ran fine. I change oil, filter and air filter every season. The boat came with Racors with sight bowls and fuel looked clean, some dark particles, probably algea, but not too bad. Added algaecide and fuel conditioner and ran down old fuel before refilling tanks. Changed Racor filters at end of first season and they have stayed clean since. Your fresh water lines are likely to be the old grey colored plastic that are no longer readily available. Save any lengths you remove (and also any fittings) to reuse for repairs to other sections. I replaced my water heater with a ten gallon residential style at a fraction of the cost of a marine grade water heater. It will probably last as long as I will (I'm 70). The previous owner had installed an ElectroSan direct discharge head in the master bath (lucky me) but the foreward head was a rusted mess so I tore it out an replaced it with a porta potty that so far has never been used. I had numerous small water leaks around widows, portholes, and hatches. New seals and caulking took care of that. I have had three very enjoyable seasons with no major problems until Mrs Captain was at the helm and snagged a large very heavy lobster trap and bent the port shaft. This opened Pandora's box. All the Cutlass bearings were worn, the shafts were worn and the drive saver couplers were in bad shape. So my first expensive repair is now under way. We live aboard for weeks at a time, mostly in a full service marina so we have a full size 110v Refig/freezer combo in the galley. I tore out a shabby looking propane stove/oven and removed the propane tank too. I don't like propane on a boat. We use the microwave, electric skillet, crock pot and barbeque grill for cooking. So thats it for starters. I have emptied and cleaned every compartment, nook and cranny. We have a walk around queen bed in MBR and I use a small humidifier to eliminate condensation and mildew. The boat rides very smoothly. A fine entry, and hard chines combine for a smooth ride and very little roll. The electrical system has not been a problem so far but I have spent a lot of time tripping switches and breakers to be sure of what they turn on and off. If you haven't already bought insurance, you will likely have to get an insurance survey, and it will point out things that need attention. My list was rather long but easily handled myself. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: somewhere
Hi Bill, you need to visit me since you're so handy...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Congrats on the new ride, Tim. Hopefully, you'll reach the pinnacle of "overwhelm" just in time to crest the hill and cruise easily into "hopelessness". Seriously though, we've got boats and we've got all the bennies and all the liabilities of our choices. Whatever you do, find the time to enjoy your new baby.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #31

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Patriot
Vessel Model: '76 Marine Trader 40
Annapolis MT 40

Thanks for the replies, this forum has already been helpful. This MT 40 has the dual cabin layout with twin Lehmans. It needs lots of work on the salon bulkheads and flybridge deck - water has leaked from the corners next to the benches down into the salon - so I will replace the wood and install two drain holes on each side that port onto the main deck below. It is now docked at my home on the Severn River in Crownsville, MD just above Round Bay. My goal is to have most of the heavy work done by the end of this summer. Keep the tips coming please and I will keep everyone up to date on the restoration. BTW, I go by Scott and can be reached at sabernar@syr.edu.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Scott, when you get the chance, check both sides of the fly bridge where it attaches to the cabin wall. Mine has a U shaped edge that is supposed to drain towards the aft, but can be clogged up with dirt and debris allowing water to back up and spill down the cabin interior. Hard to reach but I ran a vacumn cleaner hose down the gap to clean it out and then drilled additional weep holes so that rain water could exit down the cabin exterior.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That was a gift from Doug! With copper prices so high, that old wire returns a king's ransom at the recycling centers.
See John? I'm always looking out for you .

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
Well, after 15 years as a sailor and 5 years living on a sailboat, I have finally moved to a trawler (yeah, ALL the guys in the marina have told me all the jokes......BUT I love the room and comfort )

Anyway, she needs some cosmetic work as she has been sort of neglected for a few years.

A 1978 Marine Trader 40 aft cabin.

So, what I really need is a handbook on this boat. Anyone know where/how I might get a hold of one?

Over the next few years I will go through every system and bring them up to speed (and also consider the best use of each)......and to solve some leak issues

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Tim
That was almost a month ago so by now you must have at least taken her to .......some where?? We're dieing to hear your first impression
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #35

City: 77989
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Smile ex sailors as well...

We too used to live and travel in our sailboat and have switched to a 1977 Marine Trader 40'... miss the sailing, but LOVE The space! My husband really enjoys the space to work in engine room (although im guessing I will end up down there soon- in which case, Im sure I will like the extra space as well) We just acquired our MT about 3 weeks ago and of course are going through it methodically. However we too were hoping to find an owners manual that covered where the original hoses, exhaust, holding tanks, etc... were located... many upgrades over the years and would like to have a base to work of off.. any info or site links would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks a bunch!

Dragonflies crew
Ken n Anna
Ken n Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken n Anna View Post
We too used to live and travel in our sailboat and have switched to a 1977 Marine Trader 40'... miss the sailing, but LOVE The space! My husband really enjoys the space to work in engine room (although im guessing I will end up down there soon- in which case, Im sure I will like the extra space as well) We just acquired our MT about 3 weeks ago and of course are going through it methodically. However we too were hoping to find an owners manual that covered where the original hoses, exhaust, holding tanks, etc... were located... many upgrades over the years and would like to have a base to work of off.. any info or site links would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks a bunch!

Dragonflies crew
Ken n Anna
Google, google and google some more. Try different variations of your make/model/year for both the boat and engines. Also I found it useful to make a drawing of my hull as though I was viewing it from a birds eye. looking down and all the decks and floors were transparent. I then crawied into every nook and crany, opened every hatch, access panel, etc and marked the exact location of all tanks (fuel, holding, fresh, and their dimensions) thru hull fittings, water lines, etc. I used the first rough draft to make a nice clean drawing that approximated their true location and size. I then labeled each item on the drawing and now have an easy quick reference for the exact location of each and everyone. From the outside, I know every drain port's location and the lines/valves etc connected to it. The hard part is viewing the location of lines that disappear thru bulkheads and such but often making a positive id of one helps to narrow down and help id others near it. Turning on water flow thru lines really helps too as you can feel vibration or temp changes. By activating one single line, valve, function at a time you can trace and identify all the key components. Now if I require assistance from a mechanic I can whip out my diagram and instantly show the location etc. I color coded the tanks and supply/drain lines too which again helps for quick and easy reference to which drain port or thru hull valve a given line is connected to. The electrical system has been harder, but by using a test meter I now know which batteries (4) are served by each of the two chargers. Making another diagram of the boats interior showing the location of all the switches, wall outlets, light fixtures, etc and then selectively turning on/off breakers and switches will give you a diagram of both your 12vdc and 110vac wiring schematic. Tracing the actual route of the individual wires and cables is way too complicated and access way too restricted to be practical in most cases. However, if you do any interior modifications that open up interior structures its an opportunity to make notes on what is hidden there
Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #37

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I bought a Marine Trader 41 in 2007

My Marine Trader 41, measuring 42' from my Anchor to my swim grid looks identical to a Defever 42. From the literature I have read it seams the Chinese would name their trawler just about anything. The one exception is probably American Marine with their Grand Banks. Issues like rotted wood, old systems, unavailable parts are just basic stuff. My advice, which I did not follow, is don't start throwing a bunch of money at it. Use it, go boating. Have fun with it.

Graham
M/V Summer Wind 1
Ladner, B.C., Canada
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #38

City: Homborsund
Vessel Name: Jungle Queen
Vessel Model: Golden Gate 37
Golden Gate 37

Gentle people

Maybe this is not the most approprite thread as I own a Golden Gate 37 - Not a MT, but I think the challenges are similar :-)

I bought my trawler last summer, and the previous owner had done a fantastic job restoring it from a near-wreck state.

Still a lot of work to be done, and I started removing old and useless equipment, and found NO wiring or hosings had been removed when replaced... This is a typical problem when you dont have to concider space an issue

So I removed a lot of old junk, like 3 AC`s!!! (Really not needed here in Norway anyway), and a lot of old wiring and equipment, espescially I got rid of all 110v gear.
I then reinstalled new gear, reconfigured the genset to 240v and have now just about "finished" the restoration (Some job on the fly and outside still awaits me when she comes loose from the ice). "Finished" will always be a joke right? All boatowners know you can never get finished, there will always be something to repair, or a new gadget to install

As previously mentioned by others Google is your best friend in the search of documentation. I found almost all necessary info on my gear, you just got to find serial numbers and such info to be sure you dont get hold of info outdated or relating to another product

A lot of relevant info can be found on Grand Banks official site, but I prefer the GB owners site - check it out, its an awesome amount of useful information to be found!

I still fancy the idea to make a site to gather such documentation, and will gladly contribute with my findings. But in these "dotcom" days there will always be a parasite claiming his wealth on work done by others - right?

So, if I should contribute to such a site I would prefer it to be a part of the trawler forum or an other open solution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	523802_10150965822743002_646772634_n.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	17672  
Golden Gate 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #39
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Hi All - also the owner of a Marine Trader and have thoroughly enjoyed everyone's comments and observations! Have an ADC 136N motor which is American Diesel's Ford Lehman refit.

I am water-savvy, but systems-impaired. Common themes -
1. Lehman engine a tank. My engine has survived my ineptitude so far, and I keep learning. Hopefully won't blow myself up before becoming competent.

2. Windows and wood, not so good. I will likely be yanking and replacing many of mine next season. Have done a bit of repair this year.

3. Wiring. Dead wires from 20 years ago. Once I get some time (I'm not retired and also taking some night school this year), I'd like to modernize the electric layout of the boat. The more I learn the electrics, the simpler they seem. Now I just need to reach them which are tucked away in every crevice!! Pulling everything out and starting from scratch is my conceptual best option. Probably also next season. Everything is old, so it will likely fail at a bad time anyway. I just need to design well sub-panels (thinking fly bridge and forward galley) from the main panel.

Tim, I'm in Oriental at Pecan Grove, same as TomB and Bess, stop on by and say hello if you get the chance. We'll be there boat show weekend.

Hope to keep this thread live, learning a lot from everyone's comments!

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #40

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Welcome to the wonderful world of old Taiwanese Trawlers.

Having worked on my MT for years and years the best advice I can give you is that if you find spots where the plywood core has rotted, replace it in BIG sections. Initially I spent hours "scarfing" small sections only to realize later that it was just as easy to replace an entire wall. I'm at about 60% new boat at this point.

The CHB forum on Yahoo is a good resource, as is MTOA. Work on the boat long enough, and you'll meet every DIY person in the marina.

I do have a wiring diagram for the 34 which at least identifies the circuits, other than that it's not much help.

SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote