Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Installing a new head

I have just about finished my renovation and am ready to purchase a new head for my 81 34' CHB aft cabin.* Wanted some suggestions for a freshwater fed marine head.*

I have removed the salt water thru-hull pickup but will still have a pump out in addition to the holding tank.

Johnson Aqua-T seems to be a nice unit but need some advice.

Thanks, David*
patzfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Grand Vizier

RE: Installing a new head

I have heard from a couple of people who might disagree, but most everyone who has a Tecma likes them very much. *Mine took my granddaugther's panties in style, is quiet, has adjustable flush levels, and seems like a very solid unit.

A good marine head is certainly a nice thing to have, since the alternative is, well, unpleasant.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

FWIW I have 2 Tecma's, classy units and all, but in the 5 years we have had them we have replaced one complete motor and I have nasty feeling the other one is on the way out as well. Maybe we were just unlucky(ours are plumbed in to use raw water )
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Guru

I have 2 Sea Era heads in my boat with freshwater flush and have been perfectly happy. The macerator pump at the base of the toilet seems to stop all clogging problems even with an almost 20 foot run to the holding tank from the front head.
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Peggy Hall, the headmistress, always recommends the Raritan's.* I think those are the sea eras that*2 bucks has.* I am interested to hear how this goes for you as i hope to do the same project sooooon.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Guru

There are 2 ways to go with the Sea Era's. One is to buy the complete unit, the other is to buy the "upgrade" kit where you put your bowl and seat on the new Sea Era base. (I'm told all "4 bolt" bowls fit and are the same size and pattern) I've done one head each way. IMHO if you have a decent bowl and seat the upgrade is cheaper and the way to go. Both come with virtually everything you need.

There are prices all over the map on these units. I went with the cheapest I could find in an internet search, because the dealer wasn't going to come down and fix it for me anyway.

Ken
Old 05-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #7

I bought my 1978 34 ft MTDC a year ago with an old manual head connected to the holding tank and decided I didn't want to deal with the inconvenience of this arrangement.* I am in the process of*installing a new Raritan Elegence head with the raw water pump option*and hooking it up to a new Raritan Electroscan w/salt feed* serving the Aft cabin.* The forward cabin is getting converted to a first class shower without a head at all so that is out of the picture.***I am finding the new head arrangement incorporates quite a bit of electronics designed to offer*one button operation for automatic flushing and treatment.* *I am about a week or so away of launching when I will know how*this all-Raritan solution works.

Bob Bilodeau

MTOA #3856

78 MT 34DC - "Something Special"

Woolford, MD on Chesapeake Bay

bilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
bilobob wrote:
I bought my 1978 34 ft MTDC a year ago with an old manual head connected to the holding tank and decided I didn't want to deal with the inconvenience of this arrangement.* I am in the process of*installing a new Raritan Elegence head with the raw water pump option*and hooking it up to a new Raritan Electroscan w/salt feed* serving the Aft cabin.* The forward cabin is getting converted to a first class shower without a head at all so that is out of the picture.***I am finding the new head arrangement incorporates quite a bit of electronics designed to offer*one button operation for automatic flushing and treatment.* *I am about a week or so away of launching when I will know how*this all-Raritan solution works.

Bob Bilodeau

MTOA #3856

78 MT 34DC - "Something Special"

Woolford, MD on Chesapeake Bay

*please share how it works out.* we'd like to put a 'lectrasan*in one day.* fresh water head is higher on the list.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #9

I installed a new Jabsco Lite Flush last summer.
Worked fine, but noise is NOT Virtually Silent, as the manufacture suggests...
Large current draw, I had to use my high capacity start batteries, vs house deep cycles.

However today it is Dead. Fuse ok, lines ok, just nadda from the tiny 'one touch' sealed controller.
No luck with any Jabsco rep, support, or web sites with any troubleshooting (so far, anyone know one?)

I'd recommend a Raritan ...

RobWalker
34' Cruiser
RobWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Large current draw, I had to use my high capacity start batteries, vs house deep cycles.

Is the unit hooked up with #8 or thicker wire?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Guru

I read this post with some interest. The girlfriend said I need A new head due to poor decisions made with the existing head. She thinks the big head is the one that needs replacing as the little head seems to work fine. Can I find a good used head anywhere?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

just ordered two new sea eras this morning!!* WHOO HOOO!!*arty:** LOL is that really sad to be looking forward to switching out heads??* I can't wait for them to get here!*

Motion 30 I'd give you the old heads but I think we are on opposite coasts so wouldn't be worth the shipping!* Don't think anyone would really want them anyhow!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
motion30 wrote:
She thinks the big head is the one that needs replacing as the little head seems to work fine. Can I find a good used head anywhere?
Umm. Had a reply to this worked out in my own head but discretion seemed the better part of being outrageous and banned from the forum for life.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

LOL Seeing dwhatty's reply to motion 30, I now get the joke. I read things way to literally! :no:
Good luck motion!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
just ordered two new sea eras this morning!!* WHOO HOOO!!*arty:** LOL is that really sad to be looking forward to switching out heads??* I can't wait for them to get here!*

Motion 30 I'd give you the old heads but I think we are on opposite coasts so wouldn't be worth the shipping!* Don't think anyone would really want them anyhow!
*If you sleep with your head (big one) just a few feet from the head (boat one) the fresh water flush will make your bride very happy. When the brides happy......