Ideas for CHB drapes or blinds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveJasper

Vessel Name
Classy Lady
Vessel Make
'75 CHB
My 1975 34' CHB Trawler is well on its way to a full restoration. I am at the stage where I am considering replacing the original interior window drapes. Replacing them with new fabric drapes is an option, also I also like the idea of horizontal blinds that might look nicer and more vintage. I suspect blinds may also bang around in the waves when underway or perhaps even in the slip.

Any others have thoughts or considerations in choosing a window covering. Could you post pictures of your vessel showing what choice you have made so I can get some ideas of what they look like?

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 84
We removed our vertical blinds for that same reason, too much banging around underway and even at the dock slip. Switched to curtain like you have. We have a few sets and change them out in the seasons

We have the 1 inch horizontal blinds on our same vintage boat. When they are down they have clips that keep them from moving when underway or at anchor. With the clips you can still adjust the tilt on the blinds.

I feel like we just explored all the options 10 times over.
Everything is so expensive!
We finally realized we wanted roller shades.
They store up all they way under the valance so the boat looks super clean and you can see out 100% of all the windows (kind-of the main objective of having a boat)
We got the light filtering ones because we like some light to come in, but you can also go with total blackout or room darkening.

You have three options,
1. Measure and get custom shades on all of these online shade websites $120+ per window
2. Get the cut to width ones which are incredibly shitty $30-$50 per window
3. Get the ones that are not cut to width, but they make them in quite a few different widths $45-$70 per window.
By far the best bang for your buck is the third choice.
their action is fantastic and the fabric is super nice (better than choice 1 for most models), you just have to find a model size that works for your windows.
We really like the Chicology brand.
Ikea ones are also -surprisingly- pretty damn good, but they don't have as many widths.
The only thing is that they'll be way longer than you need, but that doesn't matter, you just don't roll them out all the way.

Also, we thought we'd have to drill magnets into the weight bar so that they wouldn't bang around, but they really don't make any noise at all, so we haven't even gotten around to it.

Sorry I took the photos at night so they're not great.

Attachments

• AllOpen.JPG
    AllOpen.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 73
  • HalfOpen.JPG
    HalfOpen.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Shut.JPG
    Shut.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 72
I like the look of you boat's interior. White with teak trim never goes out of style.

We have the 1 inch horizontal blinds on our same vintage boat. When they are down they have clips that keep them from moving when underway or at anchor. With the clips you can still adjust the tilt on the blinds.

We have the same boat and same window blinds...horizontal with clips to keep them taught/tensioned so no movement at all. Previous owner installed them and are Hunter Douglas I believe. Not a big fan of blinds, but they do work well and allow you to adjust.

20.jpg

We have wooden horizontal blinds. They are not noisy as they are clipped in on the bottom. In rough seas they will probably make some noise but I won't hear it up in the fly bridge. In the slip, no problems. I like being able to adjust the amount of light and also how people on the docks can see in. I can have light and privacy at the same time.

Roman shades are a nice option and if you or someone you know sews they are pretty simple to make. This is a long detailed video, I prefer to make pockets for the dowels ( incorporated into the lining fabric) rather than glue.

View attachment 82874

We have wooden horizontal blinds. They are not noisy as they are clipped in on the bottom. In rough seas they will probably make some noise but I won't hear it up in the fly bridge. In the slip, no problems. I like being able to adjust the amount of light and also how people on the docks can see in. I can have light and privacy at the same time.

So would the be Mahogany? Who makes them?

Back
Top Bottom