How about those Jeffersons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hidro

OK a little background here... I am new to this site, we own a Gibson 44 and have cruised the Cumberland River and part of the Tennessee River. We are avid boaters and spend most of our free time on the water. Retirement is coming soon, so we plan on selling the old farm and moving to the water full time. The plan is to go to a Trawler type craft for more versatility and safety in all conditions. We have been out in some very rough storms in the Gibson, so we have experience on the water. The Great Loop, Eastern Coast, winters in Florida or Bahamas are all on the agenda. We have been to Trawler Fest and shopping for several years now. We like a lot of features of the Jefferson, but chatter about them is mysteriously absent on the net?? They have been around for years, so one would think that there would be some discussion on their performance history, good or bad. With all of the experience on this forum, I might have found the right place. How are they?

A friend had a Jefferson in the 44 to 46 range....it was a nice boat. If I remember correctly though...and do correct me if I am wrong...it seemed to me that the furniture was "built in"....in the salon.... Our preference is for our own.

This 46' Jefferson....does not have built in furniture..
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

The fellow that owned it lived on it for several years, and seemed pleased with it.

Hey JAT We know a couple that have one and seem pleased, but you know how that is, I spent the money and I dont want to tell how bad I screwed up, if that is the case...and maybe they are really happy with it. I just assumed that there would be more conversations on boating forums about them. I saw one on Yacht World in St. Martins for sale, so at least one is cruising the Caribbean. We are checking one out next week, so maybe that will answer some of my questions. Thanks for responding.

Hidro,
I've been on many a jefferson and sold a few over the years and a very good friend of mine has a 48 jefferson and I've spent a good bit of time on the 46 jefferson. They build a good boat. Taiwanese built, they are not immune to any of the other Taiwanese issues, but they are nice boats and better than definitely some of the "trawlers" out there. I would not hesitate to buy one. The 46 jefferson is a very, very nice boat and if it were not for us wanting 3 staterooms due to the kids, the 46 jeff would be on our short list. Aft deck is HUGE for it's size vessel. Salon very nice, aft stateroom extremely spacious, etc. If you are looking mostly at the 46 jeff, yo insure it's largest market appeal I recommend getting the version with the door right next to the lower helm on the starboard side. Makes accessing the bow much easier and makes going through the locks on the river system much easier as well. I really like the 46 jeff a lot- very good layout. My friend's 48 jeff is really just the 46 with a cockpit on the back of it which is also super nice. I really like the 52 monticello except for engine room access which is minimal, as well as the 52 Marquessa which is jefferson's version of the 53 hatteras. Be sure and check the hull for blisters- many of the jeffs have blister issues but they are solid glass hulls so not usually an issue.

My buddy's 42 Jefferson Sundeck has been a very reliable boat for him. He's got twin Perkins 6.354 turbo diesels (200 hp?). He has the stbd door from the lower helm to the side deck, hardtop and full enclosure on the sundeck.

He also has minor osmotic blisters which he plans to address this spring. He's confident it's a non-issue since he's been told they're surface problems only....nothing structural.

Thanks guys. I knew there would be some info out there. Seems like every manufacturer have some quirks such as leaks, blisters,etc. I will go over one with a fine tooth comb next week as well as a couple of Defevers. We want one we could spend a lot of time on and not get in each others space too much. Thanks again for the input!

Just for the fun of it...if you are open to comparing boats....if there are any 44' GulfStars around...you might want to take a look for comparison.

Its the boat we fell in love with.... here are the yachtworld pictures that we saw before we bought her... Five years later they are still accessible:

Since we bought her...she's gotten new canvas, new paint...and the furniture in the pictures is a bit different now.

US built boat....solid hull, solid decks.....seven foot deep engine room... :whistling:

Hi Hidro. You will do better selling your houseboat where you are now. I do not think you will find the same market on the coast. Pricing on vessels has come down 30%. I do pre buys on vessels and remember prices of 2005 and 6. My socks are blown off by what the final selling price is. If you have cash, you are king. Boat loans are not easy to get. I see alot of home equity money used. Crawl the bilges. Take your time and remember fuel costs. 8.5 knots is great. 10 knots can cost a lot more to do. Good hunting.

The only Jefferson I have ever seen was a brand new fairly large one (50' or so) for sale in our marina. The Bellingham-based GB distributor picked up the line when they lost the GB distributorship to a Seattle-based company.

While the new Jefferson looked very impressive the hull was misshapen at the sheer line along the starboard side of the foredeck. Both Carey and I realized that the port side did not match the starboard side. While it was a subtle difference, once we became aware of this it stood out as a glaring defect in the manufacture of the boat.

This was a brand new, extremely expensive boat and the finish on the hull was impeccable. But based on the appearance of that one boat we would never consider buying a Jefferson even if we had the money. If they are that sloppy or inexact with their hulls, who knows what other sloppy work or poor craftsmanship is hidden inside. There are other makes out there that offer the same sort of boat but with a proven and defect-free hull layup.

The dealer sold that one boat, hopefully at a discount for the wonky hull, and never brought in another one, so I assume they dropped the line but I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Hi JAT Some close friends of ours has a Gulfstar. An awesome boat with lots of room, well built and lots of space. The main drawback for us is how high it is off the dock and water line. Seems hard to catch a bollard in the locks and to tie off on a dock without help. We need something with easier access.

Ron It seems that houseboats are still moving around here. Im not sure why, but some friends just put theirs up for sale and it was gone in a week. Might not be like that after the first of the year tho. We might be falling off that cliff very soon. We are still just shopping, but prices are very good right now for the buyer. Probably by the time we are ready to buy, they will be going back up :( the usual for me.

Marin That is the kind of info I was looking for. Seems that problems arent discussed much, we just tend to live with them. Since there isnt much on the net about the Jefferson, I surmised that they had problems of some kind, maybe all kinds. I am going to check one out next week none the less. Thanks for the heads up.

First question should be: Is Jefferson still in business? They went into CH 7 liquidation earlier this year. That's a huge discount in my opinion if no support is available from the builder/importer; very close to a deal breaker.

If you do consider buying one, find out what kind of documentation, drawings, schematics, parts lists etc etc come with it, in addition to the usual of what the subsequent owners have done to it. And being an imported Asian boat, you want to find out info about the specific year and model you are considering from current and past owners. You can't generalize about a particular brand. Is there at least an active owners forum and club/group for the brand?

A friend had a Jefferson in the 44 to 46 range....it was a nice boat. If I remember correctly though...and do correct me if I am wrong...it seemed to me that the furniture was "built in"....in the salon.... Our preference is for our own.

This 46' Jefferson....does not have built in furniture..

The fellow that owned it lived on it for several years, and seemed pleased with it.
Hi, I'm a brand new member with lots of questions and few answers...and the intent to buy a Trawler...The photos that you posted the link to of the 46 Jefferson without the built in furniture...in Tampa Bay? You made a statement relative to a previous owner. Do you have any knowledge of this boat? I like what I see...at least on Yachtworld

Hi, I'm a brand new member with lots of questions and few answers...and the intent to buy a Trawler...The photos that you posted the link to of the 46 Jefferson without the built in furniture...in Tampa Bay? You made a statement relative to a previous owner. Do you have any knowledge of this boat? I like what I see...at least on Yachtworld

The pictures of the boat that I posted...are of a boat that is listed for sale. I have no particular knowledge of that boat....and my friend sold his a couple of years ago... He was very happy with it, and he and his wife lived on it for a couple of years...til they eventually built a house and moved ashore. Never heard him complain about it.

As far as Taiwanese trawlers go, Jefferson is near the top of my list. Their layouts are a little bit more creative and they do not seem to suffer as many window leak issues.

There are also NUMEROUS fresh water examples that is old consider first.

I love Jeffersons

rt-ontheredcarpet-breakingnews-sherman-hemsley-who-played-george-jefferson-on-the-jeffersons-has-died-at-74-380722

Reactions: JAT
Jefferson

My boat neighbor has a 44 Jeff. it is going up for sale or already has by word of mouth. It is located in Toronto and has been used almost exclusivity on Lake Ontario I think the asking price is $80,000. Due to mainly health reasons it has had little use over the past few years. It does need some TLC.
If you are interrsted I can put you in touch with the owner
Bert

We own a 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa. Wo love the boat. We are presently in a number of refits that you would need to do with any 23 year old boat. New hoses, rebedding items, etc. She is incredibly easy to handle, efficient at trawler speeds, can run 16 knots if you need and can afford to, great layout and much better buit than any other Tawainise boat we looked at. We went 700 miles after we bought her and not a bit of issues. Ours has twin 6V92 500 HP Detroits. At 8 knots she burns about 7 gallons an hour, at 10 knots about 11 to 12 GPH, at 14 knots about 44 GPH and WOT ouch, 66 GPH. We run around 8 to 10 knots and love the ride, comfort, and a doable economy. Occasionly we run her up to keep the turbos clean. Hope this helps.

As far as the comments on the new Jeffersons I agree. The new ones that we looked at just did not have the quality that the older ones have. For instance the gate to the swim platform did not fit/close properly on a 2007 that we looked at one of the boat shows. However we find that the older ones like ours does seem to have considerably better quality. Of course you have all the refit issues with an older boat.

As far as the comments on the new Jeffersons I agree. The new ones that we looked at just did not have the quality that the older ones have. For instance the gate to the swim platform did not fit/close properly on a 2007 that we looked at one of the boat shows. However we find that the older ones like ours does seem to have considerably better quality. Of course you have all the refit issues with an older boat.

Good Day Rogerh;
I'm seriously looking at a 1990 52' Marquessa as my 1st live-a-board vessel and would like some back ground info on their build quality. From an interior lay-out and fit detailed wood work I believe them impeccable but looking for mechanical, hull and fiberglass details. I've heard of the blister problem albeit would seem these are mostly cosmetic.
If you've any details on build methods used during their construction it would be greatly appreciated.
Wishing you favorable winds
Kind Regards
Willcocon

Unfortunately I don't have any build details in documents. I wish I had. I can tell you that she is heavily built. Ours weighs in at about 58500 lbs. on the lift with about 1/3 fuel. If you can tell me where your looking at one? If it is near me I can go through ours with you and show you some of the things to watch for and how to deal with them. Nothing major but could save a lot of time gaining access to things.
RogerH

Unfortunately I don't have any build details in documents. I wish I had. I can tell you that she is heavily built. Ours weighs in at about 58500 lbs. on the lift with about 1/3 fuel. If you can tell me where your looking at one? If it is near me I can go through ours with you and show you some of the things to watch for and how to deal with them. Nothing major but could save a lot of time gaining access to things.
RogerH

Thanks for the offer Rogerh; Unfortunately the boat I'm looking at is a long way away from Niceville FL. I do have a few questions for you if you would be so kind as to answer.
Have you noticed blistering issues? If so are they superficial and a simple fix?
Are the engine rooms roomy and accessible?
Do you have the teak flooring and woodwork? How is the craftsmanship?
I'm planning on doing a full inspection of the Jeff late 2018 if all goes well.
Will keep you informed of my findings.
Thanks again for your info
Kind Regards
Willcocon

Yes like most Taiwanese trawlers it does have some blisters. l have the yard take care of them at bottom paint time. Superficial but still stay after them.
Engine rooms are large and full stand up. Inboard side has great access. The outboard side can be a little tight but very doable. Front and rear good access.
Inside teak parkay flooring throughout, and teak woodwork throughout. Craftsmanship is beautiful.
I have full wiring prints. Stock comes with 2 8D start/engine batteries without an inverter. I added an inverter and 3 4D house batteries. The 8Ds I use for start only.
I also added a hydraulic swim platform that is the dinghy's home.
Replaced all hoses. Look back in this thread, that can be a bear.
Also a lot of normal maintenance items that had been waiting for almost 30 years.
I have looked for other boats and always come back to the one we have. It really is the perfect boat for us.[emoji1]

Yes like most Taiwanese trawlers it does have some blisters. l have the yard take care of them at bottom paint time. Superficial but still stay after them.
Engine rooms are large and full stand up. Inboard side has great access. The outboard side can be a little tight but very doable. Front and rear good access.
Inside teak parkay flooring throughout, and teak woodwork throughout. Craftsmanship is beautiful.
I have full wiring prints. Stock comes with 2 8D start/engine batteries without an inverter. I added an inverter and 3 4D house batteries. The 8Ds I use for start only.
I also added a hydraulic swim platform that is the dinghy's home.
Replaced all hoses. Look back in this thread, that can be a bear.
Also a lot of normal maintenance items that had been waiting for almost 30 years.
I have looked for other boats and always come back to the one we have. It really is the perfect boat for us.[emoji1]

Thanks again Rogerh;
I've a few more questions for you?
How often do you bottom paint your, assumed salt water boat?
My plans would have me in the fresh waters of the Great Lakes with seasonal hauling out of the boat for winter. Hoping to get 2 - 3 years out of a bottom paint job.
Does your radar arch fold down? The Jeff I'm looking at does fold but it would need clear the Chicago bridge which is 19'.
Thanks in advance
Willcocon

Thanks again Rogerh;
I've a few more questions for you?
How often do you bottom paint your, assumed salt water boat?
My plans would have me in the fresh waters of the Great Lakes with seasonal hauling out of the boat for winter. Hoping to get 2 - 3 years out of a bottom paint job.
Does your radar arch fold down? The Jeff I'm looking at does fold but it would need clear the Chicago bridge which is 19'.
Thanks in advance
Willcocon
As far as bottom paint b I get 4 years but I have a diver clean it every month. I would expect you could get 3 years but hope someone has input that is familiar with fresh water and winter pulls. I am in salt to brackish.
My bridge clearance is 24.5. Maybe 24 but never tried it. With the arch down I expect you could make it but I have never folded the arch. I would get the owners take on that.
Are you looking at the one in Arkansas?

As far as bottom paint b I get 4 years but I have a diver clean it every month. I would expect you could get 3 years but hope someone has input that is familiar with fresh water and winter pulls. I am in salt to brackish.
My bridge clearance is 24.5. Maybe 24 but never tried it. With the arch down I expect you could make it but I have never folded the arch. I would get the owners take on that.
Are you looking at the one in Arkansas?

Yes; the 52' in Arkansas is one on my radar and the 46' in AL as well. The 46' will be more economical but giving up 6' in length and over 1' in beam is a lot of lost area. I would expect less than 200 hrs per year running time so economy is not at the top of the list. Only 2 of us will be full time live aboard but both my wife and I come from a very large families; we expect many visitors. LOL
Good to know your current bridge clearance of 24.5', would expect the 52' in AR to be very similar.
Would you know the name of the Taiwanese builder of the Jefferson's? Real tough to get confirmed info on this.
We could continue this conversation via email if you like; my email is willcocon51@gmail.com
Kind Regards
Willcocon

Yes; the 52' in Arkansas is one on my radar and the 46' in AL as well. The 46' will be more economical but giving up 6' in length and over 1' in beam is a lot of lost area. I would expect less than 200 hrs per year running time so economy is not at the top of the list. Only 2 of us will be full time live aboard but both my wife and I come from a very large families; we expect many visitors. LOL
Good to know your current bridge clearance of 24.5', would expect the 52' in AR to be very similar.
Would you know the name of the Taiwanese builder of the Jefferson's? Real tough to get confirmed info on this.
We could continue this conversation via email if you like; my email is willcocon51@gmail.com
Kind Regards
Willcocon
Sent email to your gmail account.

We have a 2002 57' Jefferson Pilot House, purchased June of 2017. We had a few blisters that turned out to be cosmetic only. Our boat was turned out from the Taiwanese plant Hershine, I also have a fair amount of drawings. We live aboard full time, so far so good the Jefferson has been a very solid boat for us at a reasonable price point. We have had a lot of the systems serviced and examined and all has found to be put together fairly well.

Friends are considering a late 90's 48' Jefferson Rivanna. Anyone own/previously own one with feedback to share? Or - even better - any owners within a few hours of Poughkeepsie, New York who wants to give a tour and an education about theirs? Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom