Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #21

City: Scottsdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
As far as the comments on the new Jeffersons I agree. The new ones that we looked at just did not have the quality that the older ones have. For instance the gate to the swim platform did not fit/close properly on a 2007 that we looked at one of the boat shows. However we find that the older ones like ours does seem to have considerably better quality. Of course you have all the refit issues with an older boat.
Good Day Rogerh;
I'm seriously looking at a 1990 52' Marquessa as my 1st live-a-board vessel and would like some back ground info on their build quality. From an interior lay-out and fit detailed wood work I believe them impeccable but looking for mechanical, hull and fiberglass details. I've heard of the blister problem albeit would seem these are mostly cosmetic.
If you've any details on build methods used during their construction it would be greatly appreciated.
Wishing you favorable winds
Kind Regards
Willcocon

Willcocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Unfortunately I don't have any build details in documents. I wish I had. I can tell you that she is heavily built. Ours weighs in at about 58500 lbs. on the lift with about 1/3 fuel. If you can tell me where your looking at one? If it is near me I can go through ours with you and show you some of the things to watch for and how to deal with them. Nothing major but could save a lot of time gaining access to things.
RogerH

Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have any build details in documents. I wish I had. I can tell you that she is heavily built. Ours weighs in at about 58500 lbs. on the lift with about 1/3 fuel. If you can tell me where your looking at one? If it is near me I can go through ours with you and show you some of the things to watch for and how to deal with them. Nothing major but could save a lot of time gaining access to things.
RogerH
Thanks for the offer Rogerh; Unfortunately the boat I'm looking at is a long way away from Niceville FL. I do have a few questions for you if you would be so kind as to answer.
Have you noticed blistering issues? If so are they superficial and a simple fix?
Are the engine rooms roomy and accessible?
Do you have the teak flooring and woodwork? How is the craftsmanship?
I'm planning on doing a full inspection of the Jeff late 2018 if all goes well.
Will keep you informed of my findings.
Thanks again for your info
Kind Regards
Willcocon
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #24
Guru

Yes like most Taiwanese trawlers it does have some blisters. l have the yard take care of them at bottom paint time. Superficial but still stay after them.
Engine rooms are large and full stand up. Inboard side has great access. The outboard side can be a little tight but very doable. Front and rear good access.
Inside teak parkay flooring throughout, and teak woodwork throughout. Craftsmanship is beautiful.
I have full wiring prints. Stock comes with 2 8D start/engine batteries without an inverter. I added an inverter and 3 4D house batteries. The 8Ds I use for start only.
I also added a hydraulic swim platform that is the dinghy's home.
Replaced all hoses. Look back in this thread, that can be a bear.
Also a lot of normal maintenance items that had been waiting for almost 30 years.
I have looked for other boats and always come back to the one we have. It really is the perfect boat for us.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Yes like most Taiwanese trawlers it does have some blisters. l have the yard take care of them at bottom paint time. Superficial but still stay after them.
Engine rooms are large and full stand up. Inboard side has great access. The outboard side can be a little tight but very doable. Front and rear good access.
Inside teak parkay flooring throughout, and teak woodwork throughout. Craftsmanship is beautiful.
I have full wiring prints. Stock comes with 2 8D start/engine batteries without an inverter. I added an inverter and 3 4D house batteries. The 8Ds I use for start only.
I also added a hydraulic swim platform that is the dinghy's home.
Replaced all hoses. Look back in this thread, that can be a bear.
Also a lot of normal maintenance items that had been waiting for almost 30 years.
I have looked for other boats and always come back to the one we have. It really is the perfect boat for us.
Thanks again Rogerh;
I've a few more questions for you?
How often do you bottom paint your, assumed salt water boat?
My plans would have me in the fresh waters of the Great Lakes with seasonal hauling out of the boat for winter. Hoping to get 2 - 3 years out of a bottom paint job.
Does your radar arch fold down? The Jeff I'm looking at does fold but it would need clear the Chicago bridge which is 19'.
Thanks in advance
Willcocon
Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcocon View Post
Thanks again Rogerh;
I've a few more questions for you?
How often do you bottom paint your, assumed salt water boat?
My plans would have me in the fresh waters of the Great Lakes with seasonal hauling out of the boat for winter. Hoping to get 2 - 3 years out of a bottom paint job.
Does your radar arch fold down? The Jeff I'm looking at does fold but it would need clear the Chicago bridge which is 19'.
Thanks in advance
Willcocon
As far as bottom paint b I get 4 years but I have a diver clean it every month. I would expect you could get 3 years but hope someone has input that is familiar with fresh water and winter pulls. I am in salt to brackish.
My bridge clearance is 24.5. Maybe 24 but never tried it. With the arch down I expect you could make it but I have never folded the arch. I would get the owners take on that.
Are you looking at the one in Arkansas?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #27

Quote:
As far as bottom paint b I get 4 years but I have a diver clean it every month. I would expect you could get 3 years but hope someone has input that is familiar with fresh water and winter pulls. I am in salt to brackish.
My bridge clearance is 24.5. Maybe 24 but never tried it. With the arch down I expect you could make it but I have never folded the arch. I would get the owners take on that.
Are you looking at the one in Arkansas?
Yes; the 52' in Arkansas is one on my radar and the 46' in AL as well. The 46' will be more economical but giving up 6' in length and over 1' in beam is a lot of lost area. I would expect less than 200 hrs per year running time so economy is not at the top of the list. Only 2 of us will be full time live aboard but both my wife and I come from a very large families; we expect many visitors. LOL
Good to know your current bridge clearance of 24.5', would expect the 52' in AR to be very similar.
Would you know the name of the Taiwanese builder of the Jefferson's? Real tough to get confirmed info on this.
We could continue this conversation via email if you like; my email is willcocon51@gmail.com
Kind Regards
Willcocon
Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcocon View Post
Yes; the 52' in Arkansas is one on my radar and the 46' in AL as well. The 46' will be more economical but giving up 6' in length and over 1' in beam is a lot of lost area. I would expect less than 200 hrs per year running time so economy is not at the top of the list. Only 2 of us will be full time live aboard but both my wife and I come from a very large families; we expect many visitors. LOL
Good to know your current bridge clearance of 24.5', would expect the 52' in AR to be very similar.
Would you know the name of the Taiwanese builder of the Jefferson's? Real tough to get confirmed info on this.
We could continue this conversation via email if you like; my email is willcocon51@gmail.com
Kind Regards
Willcocon
Sent email to your gmail account.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #29

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: sozo
Vessel Model: Jefferson 57 pilothouse MY
We have a 2002 57' Jefferson Pilot House, purchased June of 2017. We had a few blisters that turned out to be cosmetic only. Our boat was turned out from the Taiwanese plant Hershine, I also have a fair amount of drawings. We live aboard full time, so far so good the Jefferson has been a very solid boat for us at a reasonable price point. We have had a lot of the systems serviced and examined and all has found to be put together fairly well.

sozo is offline   Reply With Quote