Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #41
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by patzfan4eva View Post
Island Eagle,

She sits at a similar water line to a another CHB in my marina. And when I throttle up in the slip same issue, 2800 RPM no load and only 2050 load...
Re stowing the batteries doesn't explain this post in my opinion.If the boat was dramatically bow down, it would have been obvious.

Nor would it explain the engine topping out at 2050rpm under load, nor the difficulty in steering to port as he mentioned in an earlier post.

I'm with Pete and RT on this, it doesn't add up.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
A lot of people working hard on a puzzle that they'll never be given the answer on.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
From the information given it looks like he swapped a 2.57-1 gear for a 2-1 gear. Peter what gear ratio do you have w what prop? A 23" prop w a 2-1 gear dosn't sound right but I'm not familiar in these sizes. I have an 18" prop w a 2.7-1 gear but only 1/3 the power.

Then there's the Paragon gear. From the pics I've seen of the Paragon gears they don't look like a planatary type gear. If so his LH prop and CC engine dosn't match up. Certianly he would have mentioned it if he had a different gear or ratio but nothing seems to add up. And no mention of working on the gear.

But I think his symptoms seem to indicate he changed gear ratios IMO. But that may explain the "cavitation" but not the "bow down". The cavitation issue could be from the prop speed being too high w a prop w too much dia. Is there away on the Paragon gears to switch output rotation direction? Can't imagine it but ......

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #44
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Hmmm,
I am also considering moving my batteries forward about the same distance. It would give me room to snuggle up alongside my beloved Volvo MD17.

I may have to get Fiona or Flossie to sit in the cockpit to counterbalance.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Eric, I haven't a clue what the gear ratios are in my box, (I'll look it up next time I'm down there), but it is a Paragon, and the only quirk I discovered, is if you leave the filler bolt out while you run her to get air locks out to re-check the level, the reverse no longer works - put said plug - actually quite a long bolt, obvious closing something vital off, and the reverse works again. The ratios seem perfectly matched to the engine, and I only have a left handed, 3 bladed prop, again unsure of diameter, but it seems, again, perfectly matched to the engine. Maybe you can work it out from the recent pic. That zinc anode is about 6" in max dimension.

On the matter of trim, I know is this hull is not very trim sensitive, as although admittedly I have both fuel and water tanks in the lazaret, I also added a new larger hot water cylinder and new heavier batts ahead of the engine, and put a 150litre reserve water tank in under the for'd cabin floor right up near the bow, which is usually full, and trim did not visibly alter. The only time I ever get cavitation is when I really rev her up in reverse - not something usually done. Mind you, if he is really revving to WOT while at the berth, I would not be too surprised with the vessel is restrained there would be cavitation both directions. One wonders how good that exercise would be on the cleats, cap rails, berth and bottom under the berth as well.

I really wish he would come back on and settle this mystery. Someone said they PM'd him, and it was moving the batteries forward. There has to be more to it than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 5.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	29594  
Old 05-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #46
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarge View Post
It might seem obvious, but are you sure your anchor is still stowed, and not hanging below the boat? This might slow you down and cause you to plow.
If this was the problem, it is not surprising the OP has not returned with an update.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #47
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Peter thanks and it really seems a puzzle. Tried to scope out the prop size but that zinc is too close to the camera lens to scale. That's a large shaft hole in the rudder. It's close enough to scale fairly well but you don't offer a dimension for that. There's lots of CHB 34s so someone should bark at the tree here w some reference numbers. But the guy is gone so what does it really matter? Beats talk'in about boaters bad manners though. However the show us your bottom thread is good right now.

Nice look'in prop and bottom except for that blister about 2".

AusCan,
Yup ... I wouldn't belly up to the bar w that one either and I'm quite open.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Peter thanks and it really seems a puzzle.
Nice look'in prop and bottom except for that blister about 2".
I knew someone would spot that. That one always catches attention - it's the biggest one she has, and it has been unchanged in over 15 yrs. When I tell the surveyors and Insurance co that, they settle right down.