Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
FWIW the Island Gypsy, like Grand Banks, are not "Taiwan Trawlers." Neither one was built in Taiwan.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #22

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
I did some design work for Aquastar back in the early 2000's while living in the UK. At the time, I believe they were all being built in the UK.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #23

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
From what I know about Aquastar and looking at the listing, I would be very surprised if this boat were related to the European company. However, this boat looks like it's been very well cared for and invested in. I like it!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Victoria
Thanks for all the posts! I get an mechanical survey next Tuesday, hope the mechanic is a good one - there were very few choices as most of the shipwright sorts are fully booked right now so difficult getting things done in timelines for the offer.

I found the Yahoo groups post on the ABC's being the worst of the CHB bunch ... it seemed to say the 34's and said early 70's ... this one is a late 70's and is 36' on the water and 40' overall- so not sure if it falls into that group or not. The story at the end about the new yacht that had the bridge fall in during the 'delivery party' was sort of scary!

I have to hope that given the work that has been done to redo the decks, the windows and that it looks as good as it does at age 36 means that it is a pretty good boat. I did get someone who knows Taiwan trawlers for the survey, so he should look for the weak spots. Sort of interesting this one has one of those silver poles that typically have a chain drive from the wheel above- but this one has always been hydraulic, so perhaps someone was worried about the structural stability of the flying bridge?

Thank all of you for responding and for things to look for ... I will do the sea trial this weekend and will look again ... the overspray comment on the engine was also interesting and perhaps someone has 'detailed' the engine room to make it look better- though when I was on it before there were still closets and things that were full of this and that, so I don't think it was totally 'staged' for sale. Again, hopefully the surveyor will tell more!

AlaskaDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDreaming View Post
Sort of interesting this one has one of those silver poles that typically have a chain drive from the wheel above- but this one has always been hydraulic, so perhaps someone was worried about the structural stability of the flying bridge?
Could be for cable and hydraulic runs. Unlikely to be structural support. I kind of wish my TT had that for cable runs.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Sort of interesting this one has one of those silver poles that typically have a chain drive from the wheel above- but this one has always been hydraulic, so perhaps someone was worried about the structural stability of the flying bridge?
Grand Banks boats have this same type of cable chase between the upper and lower helms. On the early woodies, the connection between the upper and lower wheels is a driveshaft that runs inside the cable chase with a U-joint and gearing to connect one wheel to the other.

This was soon replaced with a stainless cable that runs up the chase, is wound around the axle of the upper wheel, and then runs back down the chase to be wound around the axle of the lower wheel.

More recent GBs have hydraulic steering (I think) and the lines are run through the cable chase.

The cable chase also has room for wiring. On our boat, some of the wiring between the lower helm and the upper helm runs through the cable chase. Other wiring harnesses for things like the engine instruments run through a chase in the sidewall just inside the main cabin door.

The cable chase is not structural at all. It is simply a tube with decorative teak "doughnuts" at the top and bottom to dress up the installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Helm.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #27
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Good luck with the survey.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside Ca
Vessel Name: Tango Bravo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 (1978)
Quote:
Looking at a boat - a 1979 ABC 40' tricabin ... ABC apparently stands for Aquastar Boat Corp. It is powered by the 120 Lehman and seems like modeled like most of these boats, but any info at all would be helpful. I have found these boats under lots of names but have not seen any ABC's ... so would like to know more if anyone does!

Also if anyone knows of a good surveyor for Tawain built trawlers in Nanaimo BC or close by that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Thanks - and perhaps the AlaskaDream will soon be realized!

AD
There is a surveyor from Canada named Capt. Wallace Gouk Give him a try. Trawler Forum - View Profile: boatpoker. He may be able to help you.
Tango Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #29

City: camberley/ birdham pool marina
Vessel Name: VALIANT
Vessel Model: Eurobanker 28
Thumbs up trawler

Quote:
Looking at a boat - a 1979 ABC 40' tricabin ... ABC apparently stands for Aquastar Boat Corp. It is powered by the 120 Lehman and seems like modeled like most of these boats, but any info at all would be helpful. I have found these boats under lots of names but have not seen any ABC's ... so would like to know more if anyone does!

Also if anyone knows of a good surveyor for Tawain built trawlers in Nanaimo BC or close by that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Thanks - and perhaps the AlaskaDream will soon be realized!

AD
Hi, I have a ckip Euro banker 28 ,it is very like yours ,have a look at my pics and if I can help I will .
troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #30
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
It was common in the 60/70s to have a pole/pipe with either a chain or rod connecting upper and lower station wheels. Had a Trojan 36 Woodie that was set up this way.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #31

City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
Alaska Dreaming, good luck with the survey, inspections and sea trail. It's a nice looking boats from the pictures. Do your due diligence and you will not have too many surprises. With any boat you will always be putting money into once you purchase it, no matter how well everything checks out.
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Quincy, MA
Vessel Name: KEEPAH
Vessel Model: 43 ALBIN
41' lindmark quester

I have the same question on this boat- is it a "TT"? Anybody familiar w these boats and have any comments?
Thanks.
Jerry formally Epoxy Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Victoria
Hi All. I didn't end up buying the boat, but it is definitely a Tawain Trawler ... it came from a different shipyard than the CHB's ... and it appears that the 'hull line' didn't last too many years. I found some information on this 'brand name' on another site and if you really want it, might be able to find it again, but on this particular boat the papework did include the original bill of sale and it listed the boatyard that built it.

Me- still looking for the right trawler, but now after having fulfilled a bit of the Alaska dream through a charter ... will keep looking till the right boat comes along!
AlaskaDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #34
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
That looks very nice, reasonable price, too. New decks, new tanks, new windows, single Lehman...very very nice. All the issues have been dealt with. That's not high time for a Lehman and it looks like somebody really loved it.

Tidemark Marine is an excellent surveyor, very well thought of by my insurance company. Ask for John.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Hi All. I didn't end up buying the boat, but it is definitely a Tawain Trawler ... it came from a different shipyard than the CHB's ... and it appears that the 'hull line' didn't last too many years. I found some information on this 'brand name' on another site and if you really want it, might be able to find it again, but on this particular boat the papework did include the original bill of sale and it listed the boatyard that built it.

Me- still looking for the right trawler, but now after having fulfilled a bit of the Alaska dream through a charter ... will keep looking till the right boat comes along!
So what did you find wrong with this one?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote