Fu Hwa SeaHorse ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monterey10

Veteran Member
*I'm looking at a Fu Hwa 34' Seahorse.* It looks like a europa style trawler.* It has a queen bed up front in the bow and a head.** The salon is huge because there's no aft cabin.* The back salon doors are a double door opening to a cockpit that would comfortably hold a BBQ and two lawn chairs.* The flybridge is larger than normal due to the larger salon.

I was surprised to see that the decks were glass with teak overlay. The walk around the cabin was wider and deeper than most tri cabins.*Tall stainless railings*were mounted to the*gunnels.* It would be hard to fall out of this boat.
*I liked the queen bed up front and the larger salon.

The engine room contains a Perkins 6 cylinder engine.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Fu-Hwa-Seahorse-1805588/Santa-Cruz/CA/United-States

I asked about the Sea Horse's sea keeping ability.* The owner thought it was better than many, but probably not a blue water boat.

I read somewhere that the Fu Hwa yard makes the Krogen and DeFever boats.

For every 30 CHB 34s I look at, I see only one Fu Hwa.** I like the looks of this boat, but know to ask first.**

If anyone has any experience with the Fu Hwa's sea keeping ability or faults, I would be pleased to hear them.

Thanks in advance.*** Craig

-- Edited by Monterey10 on Monday 16th of November 2009 02:43:27 PM

For several years, I moored my Ponderosa 35 next to a Fu Hwa Europa like in the photos of your post.* It seemed to me that they were built on the same hull.* The high rise and pronounced flair work to keep the boat dry in choppy water.* Otherwise, the ride is fine, like any of the other trawlers of the vintage.

You'll find the Fu Hwa like the other 1980 vintage Taiwanese boats.* Watch out for soft, wet decks, hull delaminations, blisters, and leaky window frames.* A good surveyor can be of great help here.

Mark

Attachments

• windermere at cathlamet 2.jpg
    windermere at cathlamet 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 222
I recently posted a link to a Passagemaker article on Taiwanese trawlers:

http://www.passagemaker.com/Magazin...dArticle/tabid/277/articleId/909/Default.aspx

You'll find some good info there, which may just add to your confusion. What yards made which boats seems to still be clouded in mystery and even with a yard with a good reputation the qwuality of the boat is also going to be a function of the specs/costs* the importer wanted.**

Survey, crawl around yourself, and decide. As for seakeeping abilities, I'd guess that the boat will be virtually the same as any CHB or* Marine Trader of the same size.

* Thanks for you input.

* As Compared to the CHBs, the Fu Hwa is quite different.* The Double cabin, The glass decks, high gunnels make it look very different the the common tri cabin

What yard made the Fu Hwa Europa?

I am to register my boat in the British Virgin Island, but they want the "name and address of the builder"... wow...

Does anyone know where I can find that info?

Cheers,

Anders

I am to register my boat in the British Virgin Island, but they want the "name and address of the builder"... wow...

Does anyone know where I can find that info?

Cheers,

Anders

If the boat has been documented, a masters carpenter certificate should have been sent in. The USCG Documentation office may have the info.

Back
Top Bottom