Fu Hwa built boats circa 1989 quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothouse

I am looking into a 1989 "custom" pilothouse motor yacht manuf by Fu Hwa. I've never heard of them before and am researching into their quality, known quirks, etc. This particular vessel seems to have a lot of customization done to it, many parts/components replaced (ie., pumps, tanks, salon furnishings, pilothouse windows, added bow / stern thrusters, a multitude of electronics, etc) and it contains all the elements that I'm looking for in this style boat, with twin caterpillar diesels. But before committing to pay a surveyor I am hoping to learn a little bit about how they're made first, which the seller and broker aren't able to offer. For example does anyone happen to know the hull construction components on Fu Hwa-built boats in the late 80's? GRP? Wood or foam core? Does it leak in many areas? Any hidden rot areas? Prior to seeing this listing I was checking out Bayliner's 4588 & 4788 models which look quite similar on the outside but very different on inside. I like the layout of the Fu Hwa but just remain skeptical since there doesn't appear to be much info on them.
Any input you could email me would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks!

I am looking into a 1989 "custom" pilothouse motor yacht manuf by Fu Hwa. I've never heard of them before and am researching into their quality, known quirks, etc. This particular vessel seems to have a lot of customization done to it, many parts/components replaced (ie., pumps, tanks, salon furnishings, pilothouse windows, added bow / stern thrusters, a multitude of electronics, etc) and it contains all the elements that I'm looking for in this style boat, with twin caterpillar diesels. But before committing to pay a surveyor I am hoping to learn a little bit about how they're made first, which the seller and broker aren't able to offer. For example does anyone happen to know the hull construction components on Fu Hwa-built boats in the late 80's? GRP? Wood or foam core? Does it leak in many areas? Any hidden rot areas? Prior to seeing this listing I was checking out Bayliner's 4588 & 4788 models which look quite similar on the outside but very different on inside. I like the layout of the Fu Hwa but just remain skeptical since there doesn't appear to be much info on them.
Any input you could email me would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks!

She's of CHB pedigree:

Krogen 38's • View topic - Cousins?
Yahoo! Groups

We have a 42 fu haw sundeck 1986. She has twin volvos, this is our third year and we are happy. Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on the forum in awhile.

" this particular vessel seems to have a lot of customization done to it, many parts/components replaced (ie., pumps, tanks, salon furnishings, pilothouse windows, added bow / stern thrusters, a multitude of electronics, etc) and it contains all the elements that I'm looking for in this style boat, with twin caterpillar diesels"
Thanks![/QUOTE]

When looking at old Asian built boats (never mind what country!) this is exactly what you want to see: "new, new, new"- this means the owner(s) cared enough and had the financial wherewithal to keep her upgraded. You want to buy them after another guy has done the heavy lifting. If it looks good, it's probably good.
Don't know where it's located, but a good boat has more than just you sniffing at it, so hurry up and get your foot in the door, or you will be putting her in your book of "Great Deals I've missed".. Lord knows mine is thick enough!

Last edited:
Many of the boats we know as Nova Sundeck, Seahorse, Pacific Trawler were built in the Fu Hwa yard. Ours was imported along with 4 others by the original owner, he sold the other 4 for profit and thus had his boat for free. He kept meticulous maintenance logs, fixed the few window leaks as soon as they occurred, kept systems upgraded. He kept her until he died and it was sold to a friend for $1 who also was a mechanical type. I believe she is fiberglass on foam core, all fiberglass decks. She is blister free, dry and tight, we have replaced the prop shafts, zincs, and one transmission. The other transmission had been previously replaced.

No 25 year old boat is going to be without a few issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom