Cored Decks or whats between that Fiberglass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lout

Vessel Name
Reinita
Vessel Make
1988 Nova Embassy 444
I am a recent owner of a 1988 Nova Embassy 44. I have found to my amasement that the deck core seems to be a thick foam core. I was a little shocked as I have always been under the assumption I would have Balsa wood or something like that from a Asian built model of that vintage. I know there are a few members with The Heritage 36 models are they the same? Are the californians built that way? It has far better sound deading and insulation properties for the Florida heat. I was doing some rewiring and have not found a lot of wood in the cabin sides either. I have read the treads here where rotted wood has been one of the big downsides to the older Asian builds beside the gas tanks. Any other members have a good suprise story to share?

Last edited:
Our Nova Sundeck has a balsa-cored deck but the rest of the hull is solid fiberglass.

My 1981, and another member`s 1983(?) Island Gypsy 36 Europa, have foam cored decks. These boats were built in mainland China and finished in Hong Kong by Kong & Halvorsen. It was a pleasant surprise.

Back
Top Bottom