Channel etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I leave the dock I expect to get waked. I mean we're out there at least 3x slower than most other vessels and in all my years of boating never thought much about it.

There's no wakes on land and that's not meant as an insult just more like "at least we're out here" and cheer up(as long as no damage is done).

If a charter captain is out to get you and you want to teach a lesson well.. They make their money fishing in an open ocean... When I was heavy into flats fishing we had one particular captain that would run you off where he wanted to fish because "its his living" and he wasn't nice about it either.

A few of us got to talking on the VHF and after a day of following him around playing music he got the message.. Later apologized to me personally and I simply told him to hail on the VHF or just ask to fish somewhere rather than being passive or directly aggressive.

When I leave the dock I expect to get waked. I mean we're out there at least 3x slower than most other vessels and in all my years of boating never thought much about it.

There's no wakes on land and that's not meant as an insult just more like "at least we're out here" and cheer up(as long as no damage is done).

If a charter captain is out to get you and you want to teach a lesson well.. They make their money fishing in an open ocean... When I was heavy into flats fishing we had one particular captain that would run you off where he wanted to fish because "its his living" and he wasn't nice about it either.

A few of us got to talking on the VHF and after a day of following him around playing music he got the message.. Later apologized to me personally and I simply told him to hail on the VHF or just ask to fish somewhere rather than being passive or directly aggressive.

The amount of very bad boat drivers seems to be about the exact same ratio as really bad automobile drivers. If you have poor judgement and/or poor fine motor control skills, it’s going to show, no matter what type of equipment you are operating.

You have to fix human beings, and no one has figured out how to do that so far.

Encountering wake is a fact of life on the water. It’s digging a trench one boat length away that I object to. But as former LE, I know the limits of any punitive actions, even with video in hand. No, I was just more looking for ways to avoid the problem in the first place. Holding in the center of the channel is a great suggestion, as is a preemptive radio call. All I’m really looking for is a chance to ask them to slow down as they pass.

Encountering wake is a fact of life on the water. It’s digging a trench one boat length away that I object to. But as former LE, I know the limits of any punitive actions, even with video in hand. No, I was just more looking for ways to avoid the problem in the first place. Holding in the center of the channel is a great suggestion, as is a preemptive radio call. All I’m really looking for is a chance to ask them to slow down as they pass.

If what was wrong with them could be fixed, the people closest to them, who they have been screwing their entire lives, would have fixed them already. Be glad you only interacted with them for a minute, on one day.

Party boats often are in a hurry and many have a hired captain. If you share Ilwaco as a home port, and have to live with Speedy Gonzales, the best way is a polite talk with the captain. Next the harbor master. Take a video, send it to their web page email. You should get the owner that way. Otherwise talk to the Coast Guard and bring the video.

The speed limit is so wakes don't cause more mud to slough off into the channel. I think the channel was recently dredged or is due to be dredged.

Here`s a good news story from Afloat Magazine letters column July edition:
Afloat : AFLOAT July 2018, Page 1
Hope the letter shows up ok in the attachment.(Edit: it does, p12 comes up). Long and short, in May a boat on Sydney Harbour was badly waked by a big fast close passing cruiser. But, there was a Police boat nearby which chased the offender down and spent 10-15 minutes alongside, after which the cruiser continued on at modest speed. Apparently there was a noticeable effect on other "fast" cruisers, for a time anyway.
I get that it is better if a LEO observes and acts, but I`m sure it is practicality, and maybe reliability, which makes them prefer to rely on their own observations. If LEOs could not use outside evidence there would rarely be a rape charge, the LEO can`t be expected to be there to hear if consent was/was not given, or for the assault itself.

It's pretty naive to think that an a__hole who seriously wakes you and then with a lot of sass says "learning experience" on the radio is going to be a person you'd want to approach on this topic. The Securite VHF call, hurting him on Yelp or whatever is where you get the attention of this jerk.

A polite message in channel 16 reporting the dangerous effects of the wake made by the offending boat together with the identification of his vessel is perhaps the most appropriate course of action. If the action was accidental, the boater has an opportunity to apologize. If it was just another case of reckless conduct, it is bound to happen again.

The CG or Law Enforcement Officers may not act on a single isolated incident. However, as it is recorded, repeated reports on a specific vessel may motivate an investigation, something that may be communicated via channel 16 to the offending boater.

Last edited:
I suspect the incident the OP suffered was neither accidental or reckless. More likely malicious.

A polite message in channel 16 reporting the dangerous effects of the wake made by the offending boat together with the identification of his vessel is perhaps the most appropriate course of action. If the action was accidental, the boater has an opportunity to apologize. If it was just another case of reckless conduct, it is bound to happen again.

The CG or Law Enforcement Officers may not act on a single isolated incident. However, as it is recorded, repeated reports on a specific vessel may motivate an investigation, something that may be communicated via channel 16 to the offending boater.

Well if they even have a radio or has it turned on.....:eek:

Back
Top Bottom