Black hole...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
I've been putting this off, but I'm getting sucked in...

Notice the garden hose? That was going aft to a macerater pump, about 10 feet of garden hose no less, then from the pump up to "T" in the main heads sink drain. Luckily the system didn't really work like that and this built-in tank was nearly empty with no "solids".
img_220681_0_35bf7b5b21d43ea503f1aa1a85e2a7b9.jpg

So the tank is about 30 gals. The access hatch only covers about 1/3 of what you see. I'm thinking of buying a new modern tank and installing a deck pumpout, which my boat does not have. Such fun!

I'm confused. What exactly is the problem?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Unsavory, to say the least.

Ohh. Now I see it. That is a disgusting mess

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I think this is one of those jobs you pay someone to do. IMO.

Like this? 70 imperial gallons. Garden hose?

Dump a gallon of bleach in there to kill the E. coli and the other rude bugs before you "handle" it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 165
Ah, the joys of dealing with a PO's DIY 'improvement" projects. I didn't have any quite like that one though! Good luck, and yes use plenty of bleach.

Not a big deal...did mine a couple years ago and cut a large access cover in like yours after a quick cleaning...it looked like a fresh water tank as the gel coated inside looked pristine.

Any tips in particular you are looking for?

The big issue I still have to resolve is making sure the overboard pumpout fitting to the macerator drains down into a loop so you can empty the whole tank...as it is now, the exit hose is parallel to the bottom of the tank so it starts sucking air as soon as it gets to the top of the edge of the discharge hose. That leaves over 2 insches left in a not very tall tank and less flushing available.

Just want to share the pain. I'm trying to decide if I will install a new tank or update the existing "tank" with a dip tube or try and wrestle with current out-feed which is on the other side of the bulkhead in the engine room.

Just want to share the pain. I'm trying to decide if I will install a new tank or update the existing "tank" with a dip tube or try and wrestle with current out-feed which is on the other side of the bulkhead in the engine room.

I can feel it....:D

Must be going around...my son is selling his house and had to redo his septic system...sent me a pic of the open tank and him sitting on the backhoe with the picture caption..."Shi**iest day of my life" :eek:

You can install a 4" access port in the top, this will allow you to reach in when you install an 1 1/2" on the bottom of the tank for the discharge

You can install a 4" access port in the top, this will allow you to reach in when you install an 1 1/2" on the bottom of the tank for the discharge

These guys had all the parts I needed to redo the corroded copper in my 1989 GB holding tank plumbing

http://www.marinesan.com/AboutUs.asp

Home Depot PVC stuff does not fit the hoses

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I have to wonder what else on this boat gets the same level of attention from the P.O. as the waste .

I have it mostly sorted. This and and a new DC electrical panel I'm installing, should be ready to cruise the Islands soon! Mostly the boat is all original so not too much funky stuff going on. Heck, we sailed her from the Bay Area on her own bottom in Oct. 2012, she did great. I'm doing the head up right 'cause Puget Sound is going NDZ soon anyway...:angel:

So I'm making good progress. I have removed the aft head and the box in the middle of the cabin it was housed in. In two weeks I will have 3 through hulls & sea-cocks removed and the holes in the bottom fiber-glassed at a yard here in Seattle. The new Dometic 8812 Masterflush head will replace the old one. I'm repairing the original 30 gal holding tank with new vent and will be installing a tank monitor. A new deck pump-out will go directly to the tanks outlet in the engine room side of the bulkhead and lead up to the port side just forward of the port fuel tank.

Starboard

Port

I don't have a wide shot, but that white box between the two bunks is what used to house the aft head. Whomever installed it was a right knucklehead.

At long last, got me a flush toilet. Finished the install of the Masterflush today. Tomorrow I will clean up the tools and mess and post some pics. I will also be installing a new water puppy for a bilge pump and a new lavatory drain.

I've been putting this off, but I'm getting sucked in...

Notice the garden hose? That was going aft to a macerater pump, about 10 feet of garden hose no less, then from the pump up to "T" in the main heads sink drain. Luckily the system didn't really work like that and this built-in tank was nearly empty with no "solids".
img_250294_0_35bf7b5b21d43ea503f1aa1a85e2a7b9.jpg

So the tank is about 30 gals. The access hatch only covers about 1/3 of what you see. I'm thinking of buying a new modern tank and installing a deck pumpout, which my boat does not have. Such fun!

Its funny how the brain works. I can actually smell that as I look at that picture:eek: It could be because I just helped with a similar mess last week.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new pics

I hope to have my new heads and system in by early next week

1 step at a time

Black hole.
Got sucked in.

Talk about a metaphor for boat ownership, yet it's only about poop... wait...

My humble opinion on heads: install new

When I bought my 1980 Marine Trader 41 in 2007, the holding tank and associated hoses had not been used in some time. The previous owner disconnected them, left them in place and discharged to sea. I threw out the head, all the hoses, and the holding tank. I bought a brand new Sealand Dominec system. This consisted of a manual jabsco head, holding tank with macerator pump and a tank watch system and sanitary hoses. At the time I think it was around $1500 . I did all the work myself as it wasn't that complicated. I use an RV organic waste additive to digest the effluent in the tank, and then flush the system with fresh water before going back to the dock. It has given me 7 trouble free years. Having to deal with a previous owners old head and holding tank, especially considering the small cost, doesn't make any sense at all.

Graham

saw your post ans realized I had not posted my new system

everything new except the tank

tank is in great shape and will take a little carpentry work when I replace it

What type of capacity are you looking for?

I have a toilet with an integrated tank, I want to say Sealand model that is used in RV's and Boats. It has a peddle on the side for the flush. For something that isn't going to be used many times a day by many people, it works great. The bowl goes directly into the tank which is easy to inspect just by killing the water and pushing down on the peddle. Not that I recommend doing that for fun but no level sending units, no guesswork, etc.

Sure it takes up slightly more room and is maybe a few inches taller than most heads but you lose a lot of additional plumbing and tankage problems. Perfect for a single liveaboard or average cruiser.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom