Any Kha Shing Owners ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

Is there any Kha Shing owners on this site ? May be good to know to share info etc .... just sayn'

Greetings Ex Sailor!
I recently purchased a 1985 Kha Shing 40 Sun Deck.
Needs a bit of interior teak cosmetics as well as heat exchanger work.
Will be a long term work of love!

Joe

Greetings Ex Sailor!
I recently purchased a 1985 Kha Shing 40 Sun Deck.
Needs a bit of interior teak cosmetics as well as heat exchanger work.
Will be a long term work of love!

Joe

Congrats Joe ! 85 is getting up there in years so stuff will need attention. Our teak is tired in places as well ...... I call it doing God's work ... :)

Good luck Joe ...... FB

I now own a 37 aft king 1983 if you want to compare notes

1984 Kha Shing 4911

I'm a new owner of a 1984 Kha Shing 4911 Sundeck. It's in great shape but has some pesky leaks I will be tracking down.

Let me guess, internal plumbing line leaks?

No, window seams - probably window replacement needed to fully address as they have been resealed a few times over the years. The vessel has been very well maintained, survey didn’t reveal any plumbing issues.

So Smith6, my niece has a 1983 Kah Shing 40' twin Volvo diesels 165hp. I'm thinking that's pretty close to yours. Do you know of any source for owner's manuals for the boat? She got it without such. Thanks!
Bob

It's a 40 year old Taiwan Trawler. There will not be any surprises.

The tanks will need to be replaced, the teak decks will leak and have probably damaged the underlying glass. The windows will leak and probably half of them will not open and will show interior damage. The wiring will probably show the handiwork of at least ten different owners with varying levels of competence.

These are common problems and should not dissuade you from buying.

On the plus side, the hulls are almost an inch thick, nearly bullet proof. The fit and finish are fantastic. The seakeeping ability is great and stable. They are slow, heavy and comfortable and economical to operate. The price is usually very reasonable.

Buy it!

pete

Pete, Thanks. She has already bought it. Looking for manuals, spec sheets, any technical information sources for the boat.
Bob

I don't have access to any manuals other than the basic one that tells how to start, run, operate etc. Have become pretty familiar with the Volvo 165hp though

Pete, Thanks. She has already bought it. Looking for manuals, spec sheets, any technical information sources for the boat.
Bob
You won't ever find a manual now for a boat that old, but all the info you or your niece will need can be obtained from other owners right here. You just have to ask the right questions. :D

I can send you photo copies of all my Albin stuff. It is a 36 but they are sisters. It is a pain to photocopy a couple hundred pages (probably less) but I'll do it if you are sincere.

pete

I have my 1986 Vista 46’ aft cabin for sale. The surveyor says that the port fuel tank has a spot that muffler has rubbed. Buyer wants tank replaced, not epoxied over and insulation added. I am just about to the point of reclaiming from sales slips and go back to enjoying her! Opinions?

The tanks are a pretty big deal to replace as u have to pull the motor unless u demo in place and replace with plastic stackers. If it were me I would say that’s part of an old boat and if they want it they will take it. Take a $1000 of sale price and move forward

Replacing a fuel tank can easily cost $10K if you have someone do the work. The tank alone can cost $2K to $3K depending on the size. Then the labor…

Back
Top Bottom