Old 09-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

City: Ohio
Vessel Name: Summer School
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 double cabin
Air conditioning for 1991 Marine Trader 34 DC

Looking for advice for installation location and ideal size for air conditioning on a 1991 Marine trader 34 double cabin. One or two units? Boat is in the great lakes and is mainly on lake erie. Heat is nice but not used often. Manufacturer suggestions? I installed a mermaid system on a 38 ft morgan sailboat about 10 years ago and was very happy. Do they still build to the same quality today?

Kip Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Kip were you once a yacht broker in Florida?

Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
A single 16,000 btu unit ducted appropriately should work fine in the Great Lakes.

Webasto is available on line (Defender) and is quite a bit cheaper than the main supplier- Dometic's Cruisaire or Marineaire. Mermaid is probably available on Amazon at about the same price. Both are good.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

Never a broker. Always been a teacher in Ohio
Old 09-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have had several Mermaids. Had good experiences with both. Good support when I needed it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I am new to the "big" boat arena. I have 2 on my 36ft. Marine Trader. One is a cruiseaire and the other a marineaire. Both are original to the vessel. I like the cruiseaire better. 16,000 btu each.

It is nice to have the option of only running the aft cabin if I want.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
We have a Webasto 16K (replaced a Cruisair 2015) in our Senator 35. It has done a pretty decent job in our ENC climate. We have a Cruisair 6K forward that does not work which I will be replacing with another Webasto. Our previous boat had a Mermaid; it also performed well. Make sure your ducting is well thought out.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If you were down south I'd say 3 units.

But up north and if you're not planning on having people using the fwd sleeping cabin often you could use just 2 units.

Ocean Breeze
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I think we'll see what the boat show prices are this winter and buy the most I can afford. Probably going mermaid or ocean breeze.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Youngstown NY
Vessel Name: Vahevala
Vessel Model: 37' 1987 Newburyport
Just installed a Webasto FCF 16000 btu on our 37' trawler. Vented one so it goes to the master stateroom, the other to the saloon. Works great, a/c and heat. Not too concerned about forward cabin. I can't imagine needing 2 for a 34 ft. trawler. Bought ours from a dealer in Ontario, great price and exchange rate is in our favor. Installed under the settee.
Vahevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
I just installed two 12K Webasto units under the satee in the salon on a 36 tri cabin. I needed 24 K and I find two medium units quieter than a 16 and small unit up front. I have one vent up front, two in the salon and one in the stern cabin. I use the y to balance the system as needed. Tinted windows and blackout shades. Works great in lake Mi.

http://savingtortuga.blogspot.com/
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Guru

City: Trenton
I don't have A/C on my boat but I've looked into it. My boat is a 34' Marine Trader.

Most suggestions I got were a 5K unit for the forward cabin and a 16K unit for the saloon and master. Unless you are freezing meat, that seems a bit excessive for a boat in the mid-Atlantic region.

My gut feeling was for a 12K in the main cabin with good ducting to the fore and aft cabins. Still haven't done it though so this is just theory.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
I don't have A/C on my boat but I've looked into it. My boat is a 34' Marine Trader.

Most suggestions I got were a 5K unit for the forward cabin and a 16K unit for the saloon and master. Unless you are freezing meat, that seems a bit excessive for a boat in the mid-Atlantic region.

My gut feeling was for a 12K in the main cabin with good ducting to the fore and aft cabins. Still haven't done it though so this is just theory.

Up north or in the PNW that might work. But in the south you really need the correct amount of BTUs per room to cool a boat properly.

Also the problem with one unit cooling more than one cabin is in one cabin or the other you are not going to have thermostatic control over the room temperature.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Up north or in the PNW that might work. But in the south you really need the correct amount of BTUs per room to cool a boat properly.

Also the problem with one unit cooling more than one cabin is in one cabin or the other you are not going to have thermostatic control over the room temperature.

True but you can balance the air flow with the flow adjuster in the y junction and with the vents. For me it works great and is quiet.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

True but you can balance the air flow with the flow adjuster in the y junction and with the vents. For me it works great and is quiet.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I don't have a good feel for the capacity appropriate to Great Lakes conditions.

I've used Mermaid on a couple of boats and can't say enough good things about them - including service (long) after the sale.

Many TFrs (from a thread a while back) swear by Ocean Breeze.
sbu22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Sizing AC units is a big decision.

Whether in Florida or NJ, if it is 90 degrees outside and well up near or past 75 percent humidity and the emgine just got shut off....even 16K for a main salon full of windows isn't necessarily enough.'

Yes, by the time the engine cools and the sun gets lower....you can chill meat.....but in the meantime....do you want an AC that can do the job?...or have one working overtime just to keep up with being comfy?

Most people do not realize the home sized air conditioner for a nominal bedroom cant be compared to a marine equivalent. Lots of reasons such as air transfer, insulation, windows per cubic foot, etc...etc....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote