Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

City: Kemah
1978 Marine Trader 34'???

Hello all,

I'm not a trawler owner and know about as much about them as a credit card captain. I'm currently a sailboat and small power boat owner.

We never thought we'd be able to own a trawler, but the opportunity has came upon us and we have some major research and option weighing to think about. We are full time RV'ers and we'd like to have something that we could live aboard during the summers.

This 1978 Marine Trader is currently owned by a friends dad. He used to me an aircraft mechanic for a major airline before retiring. He bought this trawler at auction and completely rebuilt the engine and electrics in the boat. Everything works and it runs like a brand new engine. We even went for a ride on it today and I got to drive it from below, as well as on deck.

The biggest issues this boat has right now are all cosmetic. The topside needs a new coating of AwlGrip, but it has already been sanded three times and prepped for primer. And the interior Captains Quarters needs a new wall and window installed on the aft, port corner. He has the window, just needs to reinstall and seal it, and then repair the interior because it was taken down to the outer fiberglass layer and stringers on the bottom.

Aside from those two major things, the rest is brightwork, and cleaning. It has had a new bottom job last month, a new rebuilt and extended rudder, the prop was completely refinished, and the out of water survey was completed and it passed inspection. The diesel tanks were completely removed, reconditioned, and replaced. The engine has a new starter, new fuel filters, basically new everything and was cleaned from the inside out. He says it only has about 200 hours on it.

With all that said, considering what you know, what would you expect to pay for a boat in this condition? And what are they worth fully restored?

Any additional information about this brand of trawler would be advantageous and greatly appreciated. Especially real world owners experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1833.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	64840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	64841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1837.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	64842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1839.JPG
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	64843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1844.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	64844  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1845.JPG
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	64845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	64846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	64847  

toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
That's a loaded question.

yachtworld.com and search for comparable looking boats in your area. After that ask a broker if he has any boats at his dock in your general price range you can step aboard and look at.

Enjoy the hunt

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. tc. A more appropriate question is how much are you willing to pay? Any vessel is only worth what one will pay for it...
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Trenton
Mine was reported as worth $35K on it's survey in October last year. I think it was a tad low but I'm prejudice.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote