1978 CHB Sun Deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saintglenn

Veteran Member
So i recently obtained a 34' trawler. I moved it to saltwater where i have noticed a steady leak, it looks like it might be in my starboard stringer and is somehow making its way all the way forward at the very front of the bilge in the keel. Anyone ever had a weird or similar leak like this? Maybe a bad seal on a seacock...

So i recently obtained a 34' trawler. I moved it to saltwater where i have noticed a steady leak, it looks like it might be in my starboard stringer and is somehow making its way all the way forward at the very front of the bilge in the keel. Anyone ever had a weird or similar leak like this? Maybe a bad seal on a seacock...
First question: Is the water salty?

OK, that's a good start - you've isolated the source to "outside the hull"!

Now it gets tougher. The good news is, water always flows downward. So all you have to do is trace it back uphill! Then plug the leak, and you're done. Simple when you apply the proper methodology.

Sources of salt water intrusion include the shaft log (where the prop shaft exits the boat), the rudder shaft, through-hulls and related plumbing, and the raw-water side of the engine cooling system. A common source for a leak is the seal for the raw water pump.

Do you happen to have a salt-water head?

A small container of baby powder makes short work of locating the source of mystery leaks. Sprinkle it where the water shows up and chase it uphill to the source.

Works like a charm. Toilet or tissue paper works great too.

Saintglenn,

Refugio gave you 4 things to look at:

1. Shaft log packing

2. Rudder shaft packing

3. Raw Water Seacock and pump.

4. Seacock to the toilet

have you checked all of these potential leaks?

Yes head uses seacocks...
To be clear, I was not talking about the output side - I was talking about whether the bowl was flushed with seawater either with a manual or electric pump. Pumps - in general - increase pressure dramatically and can either leak themselves, or induce a leak downstream - particularly when the downstream side becomes constricted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom