Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #1

City: East Greenwich
Vessel Name: Seas The Day
Vessel Model: 1988 43’ Vista MY
‘88 Vista 43’ MY

Does anyone have any information on Vista MY’s. Who the builder was?

I also have general questions. She has 3208TA Cats so has a theoretical max speed of 18 although 13 was more like max and 10K is more like cruising speed. Is she still considered a Trawler?

I haven’t taken full ownership yet but will post pictures when I do. She is in great shape overall but does have some leaky master suite windows and an oil leak in one of the engines at the rear seal.

We have had express cruisers and convertibles in the past. Looking forward to slowing things down a little.
Attached Thumbnails
22B3A4AD-5330-4755-9AF2-508AB5D213D5.jpg  
Ddonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr Dd. As you will find out, "Trawler" is a dubious term at best. IF advertised max. speed is in the neighborhood of 18kts and you're only getting 13kts, could be she is over propped. What RPM is she turning at current "maximum" speed and what are the engines supposed to run to at max RPM?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply RT. WOT rating is 2800. Actual 2409 but surveyor felt this was more a function of cable adjustment than capability. There was no black smoke. Previous owner did not take it much above 10 other than for short periods to work the machines. Other than the oil leak the surveyor felt engines were in great condition and oil samples were all good.

I am more interested in whether I can call myself a Trawler
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Dd. You have my PERSONAL permission to OFFICIALLY call yourself a trawler!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald View Post
Who the builder was?

Do you have the hull id number (HIN)? That might give you a clue. I think Vista was a distributor who bought boats from Taiwan and slapped their own label on it somewhat like Marine Trader. Chung Hwa (CHB) and Kha Shing are two of the usual suspects but there are many more. Go over tthe documentation you get (maybe) from the seller and you may find it there but the HIN can also help you find that out.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

City: Copiague Harbor
Vessel Name: Candle Light
Vessel Model: Vista Motor Yacht
Vista Yachts were built by Kha Shing Enterprises in Taiwan and imported by East End Enterprises (EEE). You'll find EEE on your HIN. Kha Shing a very reputable and successful builder but like many Taiwan builders never established their own name for marketing purposes. Instead they would contract with various importers around the world to furnish boats to them under various names. In the US the MY hulls which your looking at was also imported as Spindrift (Texas), Bell Yachts (West Coast); Trader Yachts (England). I'm an original owner of a 1985 Vista 52 and can speak to the quality of these boats. The Cats on the Vista 43 should perform better. While I have just twin 255 hp Volvo's and a longer water line length I cruise at 12 knots and top out at 15 knots. I hope this is useful.
adulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

The question whether your vessel is a trawler or not is how you choose operate. The hull is a semi-displacement modified v hull. Clearly it's not a trawler hull however at displacement speeds you will find the cats will sip diesel and you have all the other benefits of a trawler.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

Yes I see the EEE. I closed on it today. Tomorrow I will be cruising her from Ct to Ri.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #9

As coincidences go we have bought a condo in East Greenwich and will be moving there next year. Most likely we will be docking at Prime. I very familiar with Vista Yachts and am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #10

We will be at Prime so please look us up!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:25 AM   #11

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Congratulations, Your boat is not dissimilar to mine, It can do 22knots, but my wallet isn't fat enough for that, so I go Trawler speed of 8-9 knots, just give a hard run for a short time each day, enjoy, it looks great.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taiwanese, vista