Canoe stern with swim plateau - question for boatbuilders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obelikx

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Obelikx
Vessel Make
De Klerk Kotter
On a recent trip to the city of Antwerp, I made an observation which I would like to share - hoping that a few of you guys which a special interest in boat design and function could help me further:

I noticed three trawlers that had a sort of giant swim platform build around their canoe stern. From two of them I took a photo, the other one had already left when I noticed two more. For comparison the third photo is the classical canoe stern of my own boat.

The questions I have is how this design influences the boats overall behavior
-Will this lead to a higher velocity (longer waterline)?
-Better fuel economy?
-Most important: what is the effect in a following sea? I love the stability of my own canoe stern; will this be lost?
I know that a lot of guys with a sound background in boat building and marine engineering are around and also with a lotof real life boating experience. I am interested in your opinion.

Thanks

Attachments

• canoe stern observaties 001.jpg
    canoe stern observaties 001.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 204
  • canoe stern observaties 003.jpg
    canoe stern observaties 003.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 673
  • 2013-03-30 16.41.33.jpg
    2013-03-30 16.41.33.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
If the swim platform hides a portion of the hull that makes the water line longer , yes the boat will not be as slow as most canoe stern boats.

If its simply a platform over the water the boats overall resistance and speed will stay the same.

Sometimes the stern platform is hiding tabs that are an attempt at higher speeds, with out the stern sinking too far.

Didn't work for Herrishoff ,,,,

Last edited:
Both platforms look like boarding convenience. The down side would be in really large breaking following seas possibly forcing the stern down and pooping the boat. Unless there is a large flat section extending below the water line to stabilize the boat at anchor or possibly reducing squat at hull speed I see no practical advantage except boarding.

Wow, what a way to ruin the classic look. The one in the 1st pic looks like a small float. There is a boat now being sold, Apreamare, with an intergrated swim platform that forms part of the bottom and allows it to plane up but this is a round stern planing boat not a canoe stern.

Most people think of a canoe stern as great in a following sea and indeed they are but in addition they allow the stern to settle easly in a head sea minimizing pounding and burying of the bow. I would think a large solid platform like these would spoil both aspects and soon be torn off as well.

My boat has a "transom" door on her side and if I felt need of a platform, I would build it there small, folding, or removable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom