Seattle boat broker recommendation needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikesacs

I'm headed to Seattle soon and want to look at some trawlers. Can someone recommend a non pushy boat broker in that area? I'd rather start with a recommendation than just the yellow pages.

Thanks,

Mike

Yup- here are a few:

Dave Kane at Selene/Hampton on Lake Union (206) 403-7368
Harry Walp at Grand Banks Northwest by Fisherman's Terminal (206) 352-0118
Randy Hacker at Waterline Boats on Lake Union (206) 713-5820

All are personal friends, and professionally I heartily endorse all of them.

Last edited:
If you should get up Bellingham way I totally recommend Scott Blake at Northwest Explorations. They are primarily a Grand Banks dealer but they do have other boats, too. Scott found the boat we currently own for us 14 years ago and he remains a good friend. Honesty and integrity are what you get when you deal with Scott. He has very satisified customers from Bellingham to the UK.

I'm headed to Seattle soon and want to look at some trawlers. Can someone recommend a non pushy boat broker in that area? I'd rather start with a recommendation than just the yellow pages.

Thanks,

Mike

Trawler Fest in Anacortas is the second week in May.

Yup- here are a few:

Dave Kane at Selene/Hampton on Lake Union (206) 403-7368
Harry Walp at Grand Banks Northwest by Fisherman's Terminal (206) 352-0118
Randy Hacker at Waterline Boats on Lake Union (206) 713-5820

All are personal friends, and professionally I heartily endorse all of them.

I would second Harry Walp, as I had some recent experience with him. Personable, very knowledgeable, and like cars too!

Definitely not pushy.

Thanks,

Mike

I would contact several brokers because boat broker do not share listing/boat unlike real-estate brokers. Also th size/dollar of the boat is a big factor when it come to brokers.

I would contact several brokers because boat broker do not share listing/boat unlike real-estate brokers. Also th size/dollar of the boat is a big factor when it come to brokers.

Not quite correct.

Brokers have the full run of inventory available on the market under co-brokerage agreements. Broker A is working with client A, and finds the perfect boat in Broker B's inventory. Broker A can sell the boat and then split the commissions with Broker B.

It's done all the time.

Not quite correct.

Brokers have the full run of inventory available on the market under co-brokerage agreements. Broker A is working with client A, and finds the perfect boat in Broker B's inventory. Broker A can sell the boat and then split the commissions with Broker B.

It's done all the time.

I would agree. You may want to contact more than one broker to find one you feel comfortable with, but I would then stick with that one broker as your buyer's broker. And I'd recommend not looking at any boats until you've settled. Because once you have been shown a boat, you have to use the broker who showed it to you.

My buyer's broker said that most of the boats he sells are not his listings.

I would second Randy Hacker at Waterline Yachts. I've known him for around ten years and I think you would be comfortable working with him.

Ron

I would second Randy Hacker at Waterline Yachts. I've known him for around ten years and I think you would be comfortable working with him.

Ron

Scott at waterline is great deal with as well

I recently had an excellent experience with Peter Schaefer, Chuck Hovey Yachts-Seattle...easy going, professional, well known in the business. (206) 890-6673.

As soon as you get Seattle pick up a free copy of North west Yachting at most marine stores as it list most of the.boat for sale in the Puget Sound area by size, brand price and the broker.

Most brokers do Not share listings, so I would use more than one broker. Anyway until you have narrowed down the kind size age and price and range you do not need a broker. I also do Not believe in a buyers broker until you are ready to buy.

Lastly I would not give a broker a large Ernst money I would use a title marine title company.

Last edited:
Most brokers do Not share listings, so I would use more than one broker. Anyway until you have narrowed down the kind size age and price and range you do not need a broker. I also do Not believe in a buyers broker until you are ready to buy.

Sorry Phil Fill, I would disagree with you on these points. Whereas the brokers don't directly share listings, they certainly have access to everyone's listings, and in my experience are quite happy to work together. The one's that don't, and I did experience a bit of that, paint themselves into a dark corner very quickly.
A good buyer's broker will help you to narrow your requirements via discussion and showing you various vessels. Until you have been aboard a number of boats, you really won't have a clear idea of exactly what you are want. You don't want to have to keep repeating your requirements to many different brokers.
And take your time; a good buyer's broker will stay with you for months if not longer, assuming that you are sincerely looking for a boat.

Sorry Phil Fill, I would disagree with you on these points. Whereas the brokers don't directly share listings, they certainly have access to everyone's listings, and in my experience are quite happy to work together. The one's that don't, and I did experience a bit of that, paint themselves into a dark corner very quickly.
A good buyer's broker will help you to narrow your requirements via discussion and showing you various vessels. Until you have been aboard a number of boats, you really won't have a clear idea of exactly what you are want. You don't want to have to keep repeating your requirements to many different brokers.
And take your time; a good buyer's broker will stay with you for months if not longer, assuming that you are sincerely looking for a boat.

Northwest yatch list all the listings, don't need a broker for that is,If they are just looking a boat trawler fest might be better. There are other ways than using a broker. Shoot I can do that myself. If he email me be more than happy to spend some time.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I did email Randy Hacker at Waterline Yachts to get things rolling.

I do want to attend a Trawlerfest. I can't make it this year, but I do want to go to the Baltimore one and spend some time at the Washington DC museums on the same trip.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Although I have not met him, I have been in contact with Brad Pilz of Denison Yacht Sales. Brad has been very helpful and has personally dropped by to take some videos of boats in the Seattle area that have looked interesting. He previously worked with Selene and understands quality.

Northwest yatch list all the listings, don't need a broker for that is,If they are just looking a boat trawler fest might be better. There are other ways than using a broker. Shoot I can do that myself. If he email me be more than happy to spend some time.

I agree that if they are just looking a Trawlerfest is the way to go, but if they want to get aboard a listed boat (outside the Trawlerfest) they will need a broker.

In case someone comes across this thread in a search, I'd like to throw my recommendation in for Gig Harbor Yacht Sales. They are located in Gig Harbor and Poulsbo (a bit South of Seattle), but were my broker for my last two transactions (both selling and buying), and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Mike,

Although I have not met him, I have been in contact with Brad Pilz of Denison Yacht Sales. Brad has been very helpful and has personally dropped by to take some videos of boats in the Seattle area that have looked interesting. He previously worked with Selene and understands quality.

Another great recommendation- Brad is a class act.

Thanks,

Mike
You will not go wrong if you contact Dan Wood at Crows nest yachts. (206 719 1800) I have been using his services ever since we purchased a boat from him many years ago. The process was actually enjoyable. He is professional enough that I later listed one of the yachts I was running with him, and I recently had him take over a sale I was involved with since I was suddenly sent out of the country on an assignment. I could not recommend him any more highly as a competent, honest, hard working broker..........Arctic Traveller

Back
Top Bottom