Gen works hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supertramp

Vessel Name
" Supertramp "
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
How many hours in the year you use your generator ?
I am working aprox. with all gens 2500 hours the year.

Hours on a genset are hard to evaluate...I think if you are not running them at at least 1/2 load one hour for every 5-10 of your main... you are killing it and you probably could get by with alternate power sources.

Misused hours and 1000 may be bad... proper care and 10,000 may be not too bad.

Maybe 30 hours in a year. When we're out we only run it on days we are not moving the boat on its main engines or, like yesterday, it hasn't been run for four weeks or so. Then, like the main engines, we'll rut it in the slip if we don't take the boat out as we did this weekend. And we only run it for an hour or so to heat the hot water heater and throw a charge back in the batteries.

The generator is a 7.5 kw Onan Jurrasic Series MDJE which is overkill for our electrical needs but was one of the standard generators used in boats like ours back in the 1970s.

I put 93 hours on my Westerbeke last year. i have a electric range and have to run it to cook when I'am out. It'll get used for a couple of hours for breakfast and about the same for dinner. We also run it while cruising when the grandkids are on the boat and taking a nap.

In 3 1/2 years, I've put about 150 hrs on my Honda eu2000i. It has served double duty off the boat as well, but not more than about 20 hrs.

160 last year but 90 of them came from one 4 day weekend last July when it was the over 100 all 4 days.

I am in the 50 +/- group. I don't have A/C so I only run to charge the batts if I stay put on the hook more than a couple of days or if I run short days.

I average less than 100 hrs of gen use per year. We have 54,000 btu of air conditioning. We only run it at anchor when it gets buggy or stuffy from humidity. That is not very often. The genny is mostly used for cooking, heating water, and charging batteries.

I'll have to look at the log book for the last few years. We put about 4400 hours on ours in 5 1/2 years. Ironically, we probably have put more on per year in the last few years of being local boaters in North Carolina than we did living on moorings and at anchor while snow birding... since we are here for hot summers and coolish winters now instead of following the temperate weather. Last year we anchored out 42 nights. We were on the hook once for a week this past summer and ran the thing 18 hours a day; it was only off while we were at the beach or goofing around on the Whaler, and had several long weekends like that.

When living on a mooring, it maybe ran four hours a day. All electric galley and water heater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom