Espar Diesel Furnace not working....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
All,
I have an Espar Diesel Furnace on board and it has worked flawlessly for 6 years now.
When I turn it on now, it just runs an runs and blows air but it is not "Hot".
Has anyone else had this issues and if so, what was the fix?

Is the glow plug out??

thanks for any help,

Taras

Hi Taras,

What model do you have? What year?

The fact that an Espar furnace has worked "flawlessly for 6 years" and no longer works, usually means that it is in dire need of servicing, which based on my experience with a D7 and D5L should occur every couple of years.

Could be glow plug, fuel dosing pump, blower motor failing to reach needed rpm, control box/wiring failures, inadequate DC voltage, etc, etc, etc.

Time to find a local service provider.

They need to be cleaned of soot on a regular basis. You also may have a very small inline filter that has not been changed for years and the injectors carbon up over time.

If you have a manual you service this yourself but I'd remove the whole unit from the boat before attempting disassembly. That soot can make one helluva mess.

What model Espar, how long does it run for without producing heat, any smoke out the exhaust? If it doesn't smoke on trying to start it is probably the glow plug, if you have tried to start it a number of time it will be flooded. If you put a new glow plug in and it starts watch out for the smoke, it will be a lot (very embarrassing) and could also be spitting fire out the exhaust. How do I know.....just look at my walkway in the boathouse.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'll second that. They'll smoke like crazy once flooded.

The good news is glow plugs are very easy to check and change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom