Dutch Lifeboat Hull Adaptation - interesting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelfastCruiser

Veteran Member
Hey all, I was working in a boat yard up in Sullivan, Maine today and they have a number of really interesting hulls. The hulls were built along the lines of Dutch life boats - check the whale tail and the strakes - should make for a nice smooth ride. Ever seen anything like them?

Attachments

• DSCF8057.jpg
    DSCF8057.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF8055.jpg
    DSCF8055.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF8054.jpg
    DSCF8054.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 145
Oh yea the "whale tail" as you call it is (I think) not uncommon in Spain. Where the rain falls mainly on the plain.

To need the WT they are 99% certain to be quite to very over powered as the tail is there to keep the FD hull from squatting. A better solution would be a semi-disp hull instead .. just my opinion though. In following seas the "tail" could force the bow down and cause problems ... possibly big problems. Perhaps the tails are horizontal w/o an induced angle to keep the stern up at speed. Just guessing around but there must be an advantage or they wouldn't build them this way. Too many boats are this way to all be add-ons.

There were a couple of trawlers from Spain on the market a few years ago, one maybe both had 'Whale Tails" I saw onw at one of the boat shows. Seems they didn't catch on in a big way Majorca and Minorca I believe were the model names

Back
Top Bottom