Creaking dock lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I feels silly asking the question but my aft dock lines are creaking like crazy. I can't sleep. Is this west marine's way of telling me I haven't spent enough money this quarter? No more surgy than normal, nothing has changed. 5/8 double braided. Thoughts?

Throw them in a washing machine and get the salt buildup out. I think a softer line is a quieter line.

Ray

That should work. If your washer has a soak cycle, let them sit in the soapy water overnight before finishing the wash cycle. Then let them air dry. Don't put the lines in the dryer.

We also will use vaseline in the stern chocks. When our lines get too stiff I will soak them in a bucket with woolite. But sometimes, it really is just time to get new lines. :whistling:

If they are rubbing as they enter into your hull, put a 18'' long piece of clear tubing on line or wrape it with Canvas to act as buffer and anti chaffing also.

I dock on floating docks most of the time and have been using low straight lines. It works well.

I have a similar issue with my lines. I recently attended the Intl Sportsman's Expo with Giggitoni and Cpseudonym. We visited the Rescue Tape booth and they showed an example of the product being used for chafe protection on boat lines.

Rescue Tape - World's #1 Brand of Silicone Tape!

It forms a soft, but tough protective cover that I suspect would quiet the creaking. I plan to try it out soon. I'll report back on the results.

Last edited:
I dock on floating docks most of the time and have been using low straight lines. It works well.

Boatgm has it right. This is the best way to minimize noise. Anything you can do to keep the line from going around sharp corners, and getting it as long as possible helps a lot.

So, full length springs, and consider putting your stern line over to the outboard corner, if possible.

A little liquid dish detergent and water on them and you will get to sleep.

Outstanding! Thanks everyone, I'll give them a wash and hope.

Outstanding! Thanks everyone, I'll give them a wash and hope.

If you have a front loading washing machine, you may find that washing doen't work very well. In front loaders, the clothes (or docklines) never "soak", the water just runs through them.

What I do now is soak the lines in laundry detergent and fabric softener in hot water in a large plastic tub or a laundry sink. I soak them overnight or longer and agitate them from time to time. Then I put them in the washer.

Make sure the ends of the lines are secure or they may unravel in the washer.

+1 to the advice on washing lines. What you're trying to do is get the salt crystals and dirt out. Those are what weaken the line. Also, if you use fabric softener during the rinse, they'll come out, well, softer. The safest way is to wash and rinse them in a bucket and air dry. You may be able to get away with using a washer, but that can cause fraying. Run it on a "gentle" cycle. Never use a dryer.

If you have a front loading washing machine, you may find that washing doen't work very well. In front loaders, the clothes (or docklines) never "soak", the water just runs through them.

What I do now is soak the lines in laundry detergent and fabric softener in hot water in a large plastic tub or a laundry sink. I soak them overnight or longer and agitate them from time to time. Then I put them in the washer.

Make sure the ends of the lines are secure or they may unravel in the washer.

Or put them in a pillow case or mesh bag while you wash them.

IT is the movement of the lines on the boat chock that cause noise , and also break down the lines.

A rubber snubber inserted in the line will cure the hassle, and keep the lines useful longer.

Clear plastic as a sleive works in temperate areas only,, freezing will harden it enough to cut line after it splits.

Practical Sailor Magazine agrees with Gonzo. If you wash the line in a washing macxhine, put it in a mesh bag.

Line wear occurs two ways. It can wear and squeak as it rubs over a surface or it can wear and squeak internally as it stretches and relaxes. In fact in severe conditions rope can generate enough heat internally to melt fibers.

If the squeak is from rubbing on a surface, put a non-squeaking chafe guard on it. It's best if the chafe guard is porrus so that rain can penetrate the rope to lubricate and cool it in severe conditions.

If it's internal, wet the rope for lubrication. I like the idea of putting some liquid dish detergent in the water. That's a new one to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom