Ultra EverDry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greeting Forum.

Apparently there is a new product on the market:

Google

That is not only waterproof, but slippery as all get out.
After reading the details including the FAQ where the comment is made that this product has been applied to steel and left in salt water for 30 days with not adverse action, one has to ask the question.

Beings as the product claims to be applicable to any surface and the coating will reject any substance attempting to attach he bottom. One could believe this to be a practical replacement for bottom paint?

Think of the elimination of any copper paint or- substitute product that requires periodical attention with brushing,washing, or scraping or attached sea creatures or things that grow in the dark of the water!

Regards,
A.M.Johnson
27' Marbin pocket trawler

This was talked about over on the Cruisers forum. Someone suggested it might make a good bottom paint. You can't grow barnacles if the boat never touches the water.

Holy smoke....it' simply mooorvelous. What does it cost, and where do you get it from? Would it be ok to apply to canvas? Looks like it if ok on boots and gloves.

Reminds me of the old joke: How does teflon stick to the pan?

The video is mind-blowing. Wonder how long it lasts, how hard it is to apply, all those little details. But it will be very interesting to see if it makes it into a bottom coating product!

I need some for my bimini top, NOW!
Steve W.

The obvious questions come to mind about real world abrasion resistance, product longevity on a given surface, etc.....but it looks promising.

Sounds a little TGTBT - but ...... Anybody here have any real world experience with the product?

Just this morning I measured my FB seats so I could make waterproof covers from Sunbrella Supreme because the canvas ones I have don't repel water and the stupid mega$$$ seats have threaded inserts inside them that rust :mad:.

I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig for this $100 solution. I started poking around and Starbrite and Bass Pro have sprays with PTEF for under $20 that seem to get pretty good reviews. The chairs are under a bimini so they don't get direct sun and rain. The Sunbrella Supreme is $43/yard so I'm in it for $150 and then I have to make the covers!

Anyone ever used the PTEF sprays?

Dave

Sent them an email asking if it is suitable to be constantly submerged in water and what the products abrasion resistance is for a boat hull and if they have a distributor in Aus. $2,500 is a bit pricy for bottom paint tho!

Seems like it would also make a great bilge paint.

Fooken exy tho!

If it works, would there be significant change in fuel economy at hull speed?

Last edited:
Ron - have you used 303 on canvas? I'm leaning towards using a treatment - trying to decide which one.

Dave

Ron - have you used 303 on canvas? I'm leaning towards using a treatment - trying to decide which one.

Dave
Actually, I used the Starbrite similar product. It works. Sunbrella recommends 303 that's why I mentioned it.

In either case, you have to re-treat after a few years or after washing in a washing machine.

If your existing covers are in other wise good condition, I would try waterproofing them before replacing them. And grease the metal hardware.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking of getting a gallon of the starbrite and soaking the covers. The rusting hardware is internal and the chairs don't come apart easily so that's why I want to waterproof the covers.

Dave

Thanks. I was thinking of getting a gallon of the starbrite and soaking the covers. The rusting hardware is internal and the chairs don't come apart easily so that's why I want to waterproof the covers.

Dave

You don't need to soak them. I used a small paint roller on my bimini but spraying is supposed to work fine. I just didn't have a good way of spraying without getting overspray on the boat.

The AP 303 was standard for dacron ultralight aircraft. Didn't make them last forever but it probably made them last 2 or 3 times as long.

Eric, I used AP303 on my ultralights as well but for UV protection. Was it a waterproofer as well?

There was a blurb in a recent Power and Motoryacht about a new super slick bottom paint a couple of months ago...can't find it at the moment. Anyway, it said what little growth that did attach would slide off at speeds above about 10 knots.

My thoughts are not about gaining more speed or fuel economy but are more about waterproofing my timber hull.

If the whole bottom below the waterline was painted then that would all but eliminate the possibility of any water penetration into the timber.

Whilst I have epoxy coated the timber hull, this would just add another dimension to waterproofing.

I love how its a spray on application too!

Lets hope it can be perminately submerged and can handle the abrasion of water over a period of time.

I'll share their reply when they send one.

Last edited:
This is a quote from there FAQ sheet:

"# 24 - Can you use Ultra-Ever Dry where it is continuously submerged in water or liquid, like the inside of a pipe with constantly flowing liquid?

No, this is not a good application. The reason is the nano-coating relies on a barrier of oxygen/air to form the barrier on the surface of the material it is coating. Unless the coating can become exposed to air every now and then, it cannot “recharge”. So coating the inside of continuously flowing pipes is not a prime application. If it is intermittent usage, it may work well. Steel coated with Ultra-Ever Dry has been immersed in salt water for 30 days without any effect."

All the FAQ are at http://www.spillcontainment.com/sites/default/files/Ultra-Ever%20Dry%20FAQs%202-4-13.pdf

Last edited:
10 knots?? Well that's out for me.

Hop Car I don't think the 303 stuff was water tight but a little bit resistant. Yes it was for UV.

With this ever dry stuff you better be happy w the finish you've got cause you'll probably never ever get anything to stick to it again. So Hendo you better paint your boat first.

Back
Top Bottom