For the SHEEN POlICE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
www.centekindustries.com

These folks show a std house water filter with an element that is claimed to capture 99.9% of the oil, might be good for the SHEEN POLICE.

A std bilge pump probably wont work as the total head pressure would be too high , but a Jabsco with a rubber impeller* (yes there IS an "Oil Resistant" impeller ) would work just fine for that last slimey few gallons ,that* some non enviromental purists might contemplate pumping at midnight.
no.gif

The interesting part of these units is the availability of the housings almost for FREE at a tag sale.AS is the unit you located

Many marine motorists are EX rag baggers , so cost is a prime consideration .

The use of an existing Rule or similar bilge pump to me is very questionable , as the media will flow slowly after some contamination.

I would choose a second smaller (lower pickup) more powerfull* pump for going after the oil in the bilge water, perhaps an old PAR diaphram with a manual only switch.

That way the "big" pump could be operated with no fear , even in harbor to dewater rapidly , with the ability to go after the last drop , at the operators choice of time & location & risk.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 7th of May 2009 07:04:27 AM

The purpose of those filters isn't to replace an oily-water separator, it is to cover your butt and keep oil from being pumped overboard when you are not watching.
If it is used properly it will never see any oil.

On my converted tug that leaked more oil than most*trawlers hold in the crankcase I would decant the bilges - pump the clean water off the bottom - then use a hand pump and absorbents to remove the floating oil. The secret is to avoid fouling your bilge pump and piping with oil to begin with, it's not worth it to try and dry a bilge pocket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom