Anyone have a Lofrans Tigres or Cayman horizontal windlass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
If you do, what is your opinion of the Lofrans?

Also, I am looking for the measurement of the distance from the center of the chain gypsy to the center of the rope drum. That is not a measurement given in the available Lofrans dimensions.

Am thinking about upgrading our current Simpson Lawrence Horizon 900 Freefall that came with the boat. Its getting a bit tempremental and I have had to rebuild part of it twice. Also do not like the fact that there is no manual recovery option and that one cannot power it down.

We had the Lofrans Tigres on our last boat for 8 years. We cruised full time and never had any issues. We had the anodized, 1200 watt model. I think it's a good windlass for the money.

I have one and like it very much it is smooth and quiet. It has not been used much lately but I know several owners who are pleased also. Next time I go to the boat I'll get that dimention for you, inless I see it posted here before
Steve W

We've been happy with ours. They are still supported. I called to ask about changing the chain gypsy and the rep was very helpful in both identifying it and in replacement sizes.
I don't have the dimension but will try to get it next time on the boat.

Here is a link to the Lofrans site with the dimensions. Hope this helps.

Our Tigres is 27 years old and never given us a problem, we wired in a remote chain counter 2 years ago and now it is fully programable up/down. Love it.........

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback. Mike: Seen that thanks. But not the dimension I'm looking for.

If you do, what is your opinion of the Lofrans?

Also, I am looking for the measurement of the distance from the center of the chain gypsy to the center of the rope drum. That is not a measurement given in the available Lofrans dimensions..
I`m fairly sure Marin has a Lofrans looking pretty on the foredeck, expected he`d come in on this. Maybe both his hands are fractured:) (sincerely hope not),but there is still voice recognition software....
Can`t help,mine`s a Muir ( Cheetah or Cougar,not sure which so I call it a Carnivore). Slow as, but reliable, made in OZ.

Been busy selling 737s to Icelandair. Yes, we have a Lofrans Tigres. Outstanding windlass. We installed it and its foot switches and control unit ourselves. Not cheap but worth every cent in our opinion.

Lofrans is the standard windlass on Grand Banks and Nordic Tugs. And probably other makes, too.

Last edited:
Here you go David.

If you can't make it out from my photo's the measurement is 91/4" (23.5cm). Hope that helps.

Ours came with the boat, it had a Muir reconditioned motor put in about 8 years ago, I think the Lofran itself is about 15+ years old, it's a very reliable winch.I would certainly consider another one if this ever dies on me.

Attachments

• lofran winch 001.jpg
    lofran winch 001.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 602
  • lofran winch 006.jpg
    lofran winch 006.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 507
Marin, does your Lofran have the round sight glass to check the oil level for the winch gears. Your unit is much newer than mine I think, and I wonder how much they have changed the design over the years.

Marin, does your Lofran have the round sight glass to check the oil level for the winch gears. Your unit is much newer than mine I think, and I wonder how much they have changed the design over the years.

Yes it does. It also has a very effective manual retrieve system on it should the motor fail. I assume the Tigres has always had this, however.

Thanks Andy. That's just what I needed.

I Have a Cayman on my Trader Trawler Yacht. On the boat when I bought it 4 years ago so no knowledge to it's actual age. However we are curently cruisimg the Mediterranean & anchoring most of the time & the windlass has always performed well & given us no problems. I don't have a manual to hand so am wondering if anyone can help me with what oil I should use in the unit. Have never changed the oil so thought it about time I did. My limited knowledge suggest it should be a Hypoy oil of some sort, but any feedback would be appreciated. Thankyou

I Have a Cayman on my Trader Trawler Yacht. On the boat when I bought it 4 years ago so no knowledge to it's actual age. However we are curently cruisimg the Mediterranean & anchoring most of the time & the windlass has always performed well & given us no problems. I don't have a manual to hand so am wondering if anyone can help me with what oil I should use in the unit. Have never changed the oil so thought it about time I did. My limited knowledge suggest it should be a Hypoy oil of some sort, but any feedback would be appreciated. Thankyou

The manual and exploded view is readily available online as a pdf. You should download it. No hypoid gears inside, just worm by the looks of it. The manual call for SAE 90WT gear oil.

Last edited:
How did you connect your chain counter on the Lofrans Tigres windlass? Do you have pictures? Thanks.

It always pleases me how old threads spring back to life again.

Glad to see the archives been used properly.

I am currently pulling by hand, looking forward to "fixing" that. I am looking hard at the Lofrans Tigres and looking for some information. Does it handle the nylon rode as well as chain? Lofrans makes lots of reference to the chain, and very little to a combination rode. I have 5/8" laid nylon rode with about 25' of 5/16" chain, figure about 70 lbs between the Rocna 15K, the chain, and a little rode weight. I also have a fairly small chain locker, sometimes have to put my hand down the hole to push the "stack" off to the side to get the rest of the rode in. How much fall does the Tigres need to stack the locker properly without jamming up? Any other insights would be appreciated... I anticipate having to drop down to 9/16" nylon to have the space in the locker I would need and increasing the length of my chain to 40-50'. I need 400-600' of anchor line for the depths I am forced to anchor in up here, often anchoring in 100-150' of water.

How did you connect your chain counter on the Lofrans Tigres windlass? Do you have pictures? Thanks.

Sorry, I missed this post before and I hope the question was for me. I installed a Lewmar AA560 chain counter with the control head at the upper controls but also have a manual up/down switch at the lower as well as foot control switches at the windlass. The magnet is epoxied in a hole drilled in the gypsy with the reed switch installed in a reshaped nylon thru hull and screw mounted and sealed/screwed to the deck under the gypsy with the wires internally run in the thru hull. Then just hook the wires up to the control solenoids. These are the only photos I have right now, let me know if you would like more info. Really easy install and works great, with programable up/down to whatever feet you set plus manual use.

Attachments

• product-9075-0-0.jpg
    product-9075-0-0.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 156
  • North Saanich-20121120-00004.jpg
    North Saanich-20121120-00004.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
We had a Lofrans Tigress 1500 on Apophyge and cruised to Mexico twice with no problems. I ran a 22Kg Bruce with 100' 3/8 BBB with a rope chain splice to 3/4 nylon rode. I renewed the splice every year or so but the windlass picked it up without too much abraison and no slippage. In more than 30' depth it was quite a load.

We run all-chain rode. Looking at the chain wildcat I'm not sure how well it would handle line. The edges of the wildcat link cutouts are sharp, so it looks like it could be pretty hard on line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 620
I just installed a Lofrans Tigres last May/June 2014 , 1500 watt motor. I opted for the 1/4 G40 chain, 275 ft of it new and 150 ft 1/2" line kept from the previous setup. Next year i will buy new line, a bit heavier.

It worked very well for me this past summer feeding and retrieving the chain.

I made a snubber with one of the rubber snubbers in the line so the windlass does not hold the boat. I have seen bent shafts when at the distributors looking at the windlass when people did not take the load off the wildcat shaft.

I wanted the ability to handle a combination rode but Lofrans simply does not offer combo wildcats. At 275' chain I figure the chance that I will have any line out is slim and infrequent.

Maybe one day I will see if I can find one that can be adapted from one of the other mfgrs., maybe not.

The other thing I wanted was the windlass mounted cleat, a strong one. I have limited deck space and no big bow cleat. Gunwale mounted mooring bits I added years ago but the windlass mounted cleat is still a requirement.

Only the Lofrans and Muir offer this feature anymore. The cleat eliminated the Maxwells.

I almost went for a Muir but they could not deliver it in time. The Muir offers both features, the combo rode handling and the cleat. It was also about $800.00 more.

My Tigres has done me well. I did get a cover made for it and the deck switches.

If you go that route I will warn you about one catch and it has to do with the deck switches. The pattern they supply for the mounting holes is WRONG. Luckily I was suspicious and checked or I would have made 6 useless holes in my deck. Check it out.

The pattern for the windlass mounting and hawse holes were spot on.

I went from a 36 yr old Vetus/Lofrans Cayman that was up only. It also had the heavy cleat but that feature they apparently have dropped. If the cleat were still offered the Cayman would have done me well also.

I used 0000 wire from the batteries to the locker, 33 ft run one way, 66 ft round trip.

From there the BIGGEST wire was a #4AWG that I could fit under the motor cover. I was annoyed at that since I had to find out the hard/expensive way. I knew the 0000 was out of the question but even after measuring I still was wrong by one size. They do not tell you.

If you want any more info send me a note.

Last edited:
The cleat on top of the Lofrans is very handy, but we don't use it for anything to do with anchoring. We set, hold, and break out the anchor against one of the heavily-backed deck cleats. The windlass cleat we use for the short keeper line that holds the self-deploying anchor on the pulpit.

Yes, I would too if I had the deck space, one shortcoming of my boat. Strictly speaking I could mount one, maybe a skookum bitt but after almost 30 yrs don;t see the need anymore. But the point is taken.

Lofrans Tiger installation

Hello rochepoint,

I have a Marine Trader 36 Sundeck and I'm studying the possibility of replacing the windlass that is too small by a Lofrans Tiger.
I just saw pictures of the installation of your Lofrans Tiger and I notice that the box the engine is very willing your big bollard of Mooring.
Can you easily remove the cover that slides backwards on stainless steel rods?
Given the space resteint I have the same problem and I thought I was forced to retreat to my big bollard docking.
It is difficult to assess your photos the exact distances but I would like the dimensions that you have:
1- Between bollard and cover engine
2- Between the front of the windlass and the handle end of your anchor.

Everything works there without any problems?

Thank you for your cooperation

Jacques

CDN with Delta 44.jpg

CDN with Rocna55.jpg

I am working on a new windlass install as well.

My situation looks like Marin's, so my plan is to take the SS 3/16" box I had fabricated as a pedestal base, and to install a vertical LoFrans Project windlass. The motor inside the pedestal and above the deck.

My 7" pedestal is large enough to hold the motor, wiring, and a wash down pump connection inside the box. I plan to mount the switches on top of the platform with my Samson post off center in back, reducing the number of holes through my deck. The box is solid on the bottom and flanged on top, so I can remove the whole top of the pedestal to service anything inside without unbolting the base.

The 8" total rise from the deck matches the rail height, so the bow roller meets the chain wheel height on the windlass.

I will post a pic when done, heading to a plasma cutter tonight to notch the base for the switches and motor. LoFrans does make a windlass that handles rope and chain mixed, but not in a horizontal windlass.

Marin,

I have one of these on the Albin that I bought after my Nordic Tug. My 2000 42 NT had a Maxwell windlass.

What does the manual retrieve tool look like? I probably have one on board and don't recognize it.

Hello rochepoint,

I have a Marine Trader 36 Sundeck and I'm studying the possibility of replacing the windlass that is too small by a Lofrans Tiger.
I just saw pictures of the installation of your Lofrans Tiger and I notice that the box the engine is very willing your big bollard of Mooring.
Can you easily remove the cover that slides backwards on stainless steel rods?
Given the space resteint I have the same problem and I thought I was forced to retreat to my big bollard docking.
It is difficult to assess your photos the exact distances but I would like the dimensions that you have:
1- Between bollard and cover engine
2- Between the front of the windlass and the handle end of your anchor.

Everything works there without any problems?

Thank you for your cooperation

Jacques

View attachment 34000

View attachment 34001

Our Lofrans Tigres is only a 1/4" from the bollard, if I ever had to access the the motor I would simply unbolt the four mounting bolts on the windlass and move it forward. The distance from the center of the capstan and the head of the new Ex Cel anchor is about 7".

The nylon thru hull under the capstan holds the reed switch for the electronic chain counter. In the 30 years since it's install the cover has never had to be removed, knock on wood.....:)

This windlass has always performed flawlessly....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hope this answers you question and the tape measure helps, Would I buy another one...you bet! Great product!........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Windlass1.jpg
    Windlass1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Windlass2.jpg
    Windlass2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Windlass3.jpg
    Windlass3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 360
  • Windlass & Ex Cel.jpg
    Windlass & Ex Cel.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 108
Marin,

I have one of these on the Albin that I bought after my Nordic Tug. My 2000 42 NT had a Maxwell windlass.

What does the manual retrieve tool look like? I probably have one on board and don't recognize it.

Sorry, just saw your question this evening. The manual retrieve tool is nothing more than a thick-walled stainless tube with a rubber hand grip on one end. We keep ours in a pair of spring clips beside the main cabin door.

The tube fits into the holes in the base of the line gypsy on the port side of the windlass. The retrieval action is a ratchetting movement, and it's quite slow.

Where the manual handle comes in handy is to tighten or free the friction brake on the wildcat. By fitting the tube over one of the spokes on the brake and using the notch lock to keep the wildcat from turning the brake can be backed off if it's too tight to break free by hand or tightened if it needs to be screwed down tighter than can be done by hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom