PT35 (Performance Trawler)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bensjoy

Vessel Name
REFUGE
Vessel Make
Performance Trawler 35
I would like to contact any other owners of a pt35. Mine is a 1985 sundeck model with a single lehman 225hp engine.

Can`t help with the boat, but can you describe the 225hp Lehman? What engine is it based on, six or v8, turbo or not?

I think Pineapple Girl... One of our other mods... has that same boat.

We already chatted by PM but we've got the same boat. Pineapple Girl has our same boat as well.

BTW, Pineapple Girl made an awesome shelf for the deep kitchen "hole cabinet" which I just copied. Google her for her blog.

Bruce K;
My single Ford Lehman is turbo-charged, developing 225HP from a 363 cubic inch block at 2450RPM. (The naturally aspirated 120HP and 135HP models had a 380 cubic inch block). I usually cruise at 1700-1800RPM giving me about a 8 1/2 kt speed probably consuming under 3 GPH. Maximum speed is about 10 1/2 kts which I rarely use. I have just under 1900 hours on her.

Bruce K;
My single Ford Lehman is turbo-charged, developing 225HP from a 363 cubic inch block at 2450RPM. (The naturally aspirated 120HP and 135HP models had a 380 cubic inch block). I usually cruise at 1700-1800RPM giving me about a 8 1/2 kt speed probably consuming under 3 GPH. Maximum speed is about 10 1/2 kts which I rarely use. I have just under 1900 hours on her.
Bensjoy, thanks for responding. My Lehman book (predating the 135hp) shows the 363cu engine developing 150hp@2400. Tweaked to 225hp, still not working hard.
Great you found some PT35 owners on TF.

"Performance (high-speed) trawler" is definitely an oxymoron.

Now Mark you're just jealous of our 15knot max speed. That we achieved one time for about a minute. Lol. Usually cruise at 8 or 9.

Yes indeed we have a 1984 pt 35 w twin turboed Perkins. 210 (or 220, depends who you ask) hp per. Way more than we need. Love the boat, had it two years now. Our blog is pineapple-girl.blogspot.com. Any questions ask away. Eric's shelf is much nicer than ours as he used cedar, I believe, versus our wire shelving. But he has closet connections. :) It really helps making the bottomless pit corner storage in the galley more usable.

Oh and if you look under Taiwanese makes there are several ppl with other models. There is a pt38 (I think) thread.

Now Mark you're just jealous of our 15knot max speed. That we achieved one time for about a minute. Lol. Usually cruise at 8 or 9.

I'll just leave earlier or get there later. Water passing by at 6.3 knots looks fast to me.

img_112062_0_632391305cd5da5af74c0b2187fe520c.png

markpierce said:
I'll just leave earlier or get there later. Water passing by at 6.3 knots looks fast to me.

Your boat is way too cute. :)

Ps we're all waiting for you to post pictures an the universal joint thread.

Propane Tank Location on PT 35

MY 10 pound propane tank is located inside the storage area forward of the flybridge helm on the port side. It's ventilated by two teak louvered doors but does not conform to propane installation guidelines. Has any other PT 35 owners relocated the propane tank?

MY 10 pound propane tank is located inside the storage area forward of the flybridge helm on the port side. It's ventilated by two teak louvered doors but does not conform to propane installation guidelines. Has any other PT 35 owners relocated the propane tank?

Mine doesn't have propane but I'm interested to hear that's where yours is. How does the line get to the stove? Through the starboard side chase down past the lower helm?

Bed, my propane is in the same place but without any ventilation. I rarely use the stove but when I do I open the hatch and then close the valve when done. Post a pic of your vents.

Propane tank installation

The ventilation I am referring to is from the teak lumbered doors on the bulkhead on either side of the steering wheel on the flybridge.I believe regulations and my insurer require that propane tanks must be in an "airtight" locker with an overboard drain. I've never had a problem with the current system. Approved propane lockers are sold but there is no location where they can be installed that would look neat.

Ok, mine is in the seat locker just to the left of the helm seat. Never an issue but as I said, it is hardly ever used.

Baggiolini: is the tank in a propane tank locker within the port side seat?

Just in the seat locker. Factory or PO mounted two half height BBQ style tanks to a piece of plywood. Works good for my needs.

Any issues with your PT over the years? Fuel tanks ok?

Mine doesn't have propane but I'm interested to hear that's where yours is. How does the line get to the stove? Through the starboard side chase down past the lower helm?

PG, you have enough power on that boat to power the whole dock, you don't need propane!!

PT35 Issues

I've owned my 1985 PT35 since 1991. About 12 years ago the engine's (Lehman 225HP) gear driven oil pump suffered a shaft failure. The pump and crankshaft bearings were replaced. Luckily, my insurance covered most of the bill.
Water leaks from some windows were mostly fixed.
Rollers on salon doors had to be reinstalled with epoxy.
Replaced SS holding tank with one made of poly.
Replaced sanitation hose.
Replaced venturi windshield on FB.
Replaced bilge and pressure water pumps and water heater.
Fuel tanks are fine.

Overall, I'm very happy with Refuge and look forward to her re-launching in May.

Forgot to mention that I believe the propane tank line is run through the port side chase down to the galley.

Forgot to mention that I believe the propane tank line is run through the port side chase down to the galley.

I know it is running down the port chase as I added a second line for the Dickinson fireplace in the starboard aft corner of the salon.

Water leaks from some windows were fixed.
Rollers on salon doors replaced
Replaced pressure water pump.
Cleaned fuel tanks, Ok but always a concern in the future.
Repaired port side water tank at bottom shutoff valve.
Replace mixing elbow on Perkins 6.355M with SS one after 20 years.
Replaced shaft seal to PSS.
Replaced stove and fridge.
Plus upgrades of electronics.

Love the boat, she has been good to us :smitten:

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I've owned my 1985 PT35 since 1991. About 12 years ago the engine's (Lehman 225HP) gear driven oil pump suffered a shaft failure. The pump and crankshaft bearings were replaced. Luckily, my insurance covered most of the bill.
Water leaks from some windows were mostly fixed.
Rollers on salon doors had to be reinstalled with epoxy.
Replaced venturi windshield on FB.
Replaced bilge and pressure water pumps and water heater.
Fuel tanks are fine.

Overall, I'm very happy with Refuge and look forward to her re-launching in May.

Bueno, I've got some window leads but I can live with the ones that are left. I did have to replace the four front portlights, that stung a bit. The PO had replaced the holding tank and did a half hearted job of it.

How did you fix the salon doors? PG eliminated the rollers and has her door riding on some plastic strip that works really well.

I know it is running down the port chase as I added a second line for the Dickinson fireplace in the starboard aft corner of the salon.

Rollers on salon doors replaced

Mike, how did you replace the rollers?

On the side door I replaced the bronze wheels with roller bearings in the same housing and the previous owner had already done the back door with a nylon strip which works fine if you wax the track every six months.

The interior corners of the sliding door appeared to be rotting out and were not solid enough to hold the screws for the roller assemblies. I dug out the rotted area and drilled some holes then filled the area with epoxy resin. When cured, it proved to be strong enough to reinstall the roller assemblies.

I too have a PT35 called a Polarus in Australia. I have 2 propane tanks set in a custom made holder and it is vented via a pipe to the port side of the flybridge. There is a flame stop on the stove and an off switch by the stove, together with a cutoff in the cupboard under the stove and of course the ability to swich off at the bottles. By the way we use the cupboard under the stove for pots and pans which was difficult for my wife in particular to get to so I have converted it to a pot drawer and it makes it a lot easier to access.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom