Drive plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I was taking a look at the propshaft coupling a couple of days ago I noticed a sprinkling of black grains on the transmission kind of like a dose pepper from a shaker. The Cummins and ZF transmission are painted white otherwise I am sure I would have missed it. I am thinking, but not sure, this is associated with the normal wear and tear of the drive plate inside the "bell housing" what do you folks say?
Thanks in advance!
Steve W

Black Crumbles

When I had those crumbles on the engine and air intake, I traced the source to the belt pullies. The rust on the pullies were sanding material off the belts, which was being flung around the engine room.

Later, I had an alternator fail. I discovered that it was full of melted black rubber from the belt. The rubber coated the inside of the alternator, causing it to overheat and burn up.

The simplest way to loose an alternator is a loose belt.

The slipping belt heats the pulley , which passes the heat to the front bearing, the lubricant runs out , the bearing dies.

Take off your existing alt , duplicate it and bolt the new duplicate on.

Your old operating unit goes in a plastic bag , and then into the box the new unit came in.

Spare mounting and adjusting bolts are never a bad idea.

On closer inspection yesterday I found that the material was tiny rust grains that shed from a bracket on the housing /transmission, that made my day!
Thanks to those who replied
Steve

Back
Top Bottom