Blue showing through white on non-skid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Underway

Guru
There is a faint light blue color beginning to appear in the non-skid areas on the bow on our 1989 440. It appears that the gelcoat (or is it paint) is growing thin and the fiberglass resin is starting to show through. I have seen this on the bow area of other older OAs. Does anyone know for sure what's happening, and a recommended fix....I guess either more gel coat or paint? Anyone have the color spec? Thanks

I'm not sure what a 440 is, but if it is a Taiwan built trawler, many of them can in with blue painted nonskid. I know that ours did. I didn't particular like it, and painted over with a beige polyurethane. It could be that the same was done with your boat.

When I ground my bottom off last winter...much of the bottom layer of gel was a medium blue...not sure what it is...or more so why.

On many fiberglass boats you will find a darker color gelcoat under the main gelcoat. This dark color is sprayed in over the light outer gelcoat during manufacturing so that it is easier to see and eliminate air bubbles in the glass layup. With glass layed over light gelcoat it is almost impossible to see air taped in the layup but with the dark background taped air is easy to see and is hopefully eliminated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom