Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Dinghys and Smaller Boats (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s20/)
-   -   Boat name-dink bottom (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s20/boat-name-dink-bottom-7218.html)

meridian 09-16-2012 10:11 PM

Boat name-dink bottom
 
I carry my RIB on weaver davits which blocks the name on the stern. I want to put it on the bottom of the dink and don't know which would work better, paint or vinyl letters with a clear epoxy coating.

Rusty 09-16-2012 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used vinyl letters. Took about 30 minutes to install after I removed the old lettering, cleaned, and polished the bottom of the inflatable. I've seen no indication of wear in the two years since I installed them.

I had the lettering made by Prism Graphics in Seattle so it was just two strips that needed to be applied. Not individual letters (which I would never have been able to get right).

The previous lettering had been on the boat for about six years. There was nothing wrong with them either. Just needed to change the boat name and home port.

psneeld 09-17-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meridian (Post 103619)
I carry my RIB on weaver davits which blocks the name on the stern. I want to put it on the bottom of the dink and don't know which would work better, paint or vinyl letters with a clear epoxy coating.


If you think you are gonna scratch them off from beaching the dingy or just plain hitting things/fast running...make a board or cloth to hang over or as some have...relocate a second name to a board affixed to an uppedeck.

Steve 09-17-2012 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one on the flybridge railing.

motion30 09-17-2012 08:36 AM

I used vinyl to and they are holding up well for 1 year

Moonstruck 09-17-2012 10:29 AM

Vinyl letters. No problem.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/attachme...4683f75f67.jpg

markpierce 09-17-2012 10:44 AM

One can place the boat's name and hailing port on the side of a recreational vessel. Placing that information on a dinghy obscuring the hull-placed name/port doesn't meet USCG requirements for a documented vessel.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#15

Rambler 09-17-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpierce (Post 103686)
One can place the boat's name and hailing port on the side of a recreational vessel. Placing that information on a dinghy obscuring the hull-placed name/port doesn't meet USCG requirements for a documented vessel.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

I think the intent isn;t to replace the name on the boat itself, but to allow it to be visible from the rear when a dingy is in the davits that would otherwise obscure the name on the boat itself.

Like Moonstruck, still on the boat, but on the dingy bottom too.

mahal 09-17-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpierce (Post 103686)
One can place the boat's name and hailing port on the side of a recreational vessel. Placing that information on a dinghy obscuring the hull-placed name/port doesn't meet USCG requirements for a documented vessel.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

Rusty and Moonstruck and all others with a similar set-up, you are in violation so get ready for a spanking.

Moonstruck 09-17-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahal (Post 103711)
Rusty and Moonstruck and all others with a similar set-up, you are in violation so get ready for a spanking.

Oh, goody!!:dance:

Marin 09-17-2012 01:12 PM

We have the name and hailing port on the bottom of our Livingston (they are also on nameboards on the transom but the dingy obscures them). We applied the vinyl lettering (custom made) about 13 years ago and other than a couple of scratches the lettering is holding up just fine. The bottom of the dinghy faces the prevailing weather year round.

Rusty 09-17-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Rusty and Moonstruck and all others with a similar set-up, you are in violation so get ready for a spanking.
Based on the number of boats I see set up this way, there is going to be a whole lot of spankin' going on.

skipperdude 09-17-2012 01:50 PM

The bottom Great place for it.

I have heard that thieves check out dink names at the dink dock

They think that if the name is on the dink and the dink is at the dock the mother ship is empty.

SD

Capn Chuck 09-17-2012 03:08 PM

We have the Weaver Davits. We tried the vinyl letters on the bottom and they came off. It looks like you have a similar flybridge deck to our MT34. We put the vinyl letters on the back end of the flybridge deck. If you can view this photo enlarged you can see it. http://tinyurl.com/8ftmyz8 . Chuck

Egregious 09-19-2012 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 103664)
Here is one on the flybridge railing.

Steve, I like your style. And your boat! We had a vinyl sign made up at a graphics shop and we use white duct tape to fix it to the bridge enclosure.

I hate being hailed as "trawler with the white top" and I hate even more having to hail (mostly sailboats) with names that are too small to see or unpronouncable.
:facepalm:

Moonstruck 09-19-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egregious (Post 104070)
I hate even more having to hail (mostly sailboats) with names that are too small to see or unpronouncable.
:facepalm:

Yeah, most of the time it is hard to read a sail boat's name. I was passing one with an unreadable name between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. He was tending his charcoal grill on the railing. I hailed him as the sail boat cooking on a charcoal grill and told him to hold his meat, I'm coming around.:facepalm:

rwidman 09-19-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipperdude (Post 103729)
The bottom Great place for it.

I have heard that thieves check out dink names at the dink dock

They think that if the name is on the dink and the dink is at the dock the mother ship is empty.

If it's on the bottom, that's going to be hard to do. ;)

I think having the name on the visible part of the dinghy or on something hung from the flybridge meets the intent of the law if not the letter.

The regulations don't require the name and hailing port to be displayed on the stern of a recreational boat, just that they be displayed on some visible portion of the hull.

skipperdude 09-19-2012 01:08 PM

That is what I meant.

If it is on the bottom.

It is a great place for it because thieves can't see it.

SD

sunchaser 09-19-2012 01:09 PM

The standard world wide convention is name and hailing port on the stern of the mother ship. Today the US, Canada and Mexico Coast Guards are really watching names, flags and hailing ports and plugging same into their on board computers to verify authenticity. If they can't see the name and port they get frazzled and will pull you over, especially in the border areas and likely find something to bitch about. Nothing the matter with on the bottom of the dinghy if stern obscured.

rwidman 09-19-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunchaser (Post 104079)
The standard world wide convention is name and hailing port on the stern of the mother ship. Today the US, Canada and Mexico Coast Guards are really watching names, flags and hailing ports and plugging same into their on board computers to verify authenticity. If they can't see the name and port they get frazzled and will pull you over, .

That has not been my experience at all. Many, perhaps the majority of recreational boats are not documented, just state registered, so they may or may not have a name on the hull, it has no requirements as to size or font, and it is not recorded in any database.

The USCG and local authorities in my area don't even seem to stop boats with no identification whatsoever.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012